Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worst update ever! Agree stupid stupid stupid moving main items you use all the time down into sub menus! Change driver profile isn’t even on Home Screen why do we need such a “clean” Home Screen there is zero benefit to me in removing touch buttons along the top! Bring back previous version please!!

Not ever, going from version 8 to version 9 was worse but you may never have seen that. Trust me it has been way better than it currently is both version 10 and 11 and everything since version 8 is garbage.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I'm wondering how often any of us actually depend on the touch screen's map. I rarely go anywhere that requires it and yet it takes up so much space. Why not design the screen so that the map graphic is one touch away and instead leave all the things we all miss in this new version (seat heaters, wipers, etc) on the screen?

Before version 9, navigation used to be optional, you didn't have to have it on the screen at all if you weren't using it, or didn't want it. You were free to use the available real estate for whatever you wanted and you could arrange it however you wanted. Version 9 ended all that, and forced navigation onto the screen at all times. That was the first time that the UI actually turned to crap. Everything since version 8 is garbage. It's not just the most recent version. Version 9 was the first version that was a downgrade and actually removed functionality from my car that I've never gotten back.

I love driving my Model 3. Nimble, fun and reasonably neutral at the limits (unlike my S, which means I can’t really push the S like I do my 3).
Yeah for it's size and weight it is a fun car and being quick doesn't hurt my feelings at all

The UI was probably designed by a hipster doofus with full encouragement by Elon. Sorry, but I fully believe that’s what happened.
Wouldn't be surprised, arrogance and naive folks who don't actually use their cars as cars

Elon doesn’t care anymore what the longtime fans have to say, critically. He is probably very tired after being at the helm for almost 20 years. (“I rather hate being the boss at Tesla”, remember that quote from him?)
So then he should let someone who actually gives 2 hoots about the customer a chance to run things, he can go to mars and all :)

Reactions: Boza
Yes it is a 2 stage process but much easier than trying to correctly hit the tiny icon at the top of the screen in v10 which required you to take you eyes of the screen for much longer to try and hit that little thing. Now its just hit that large car icon (which you don't even need to look for now!) and then press the enormous record button...much much easier and safer to find and hit than the tiny little record button before.
Perhaps, but I do wonder why Tesla couldn't just make the new dashcam icon work the same way as the old one. That would have resolved all these issues. I initially added it to my launcher bar but now realize that's pointless because accepting one extra tap to open the viewer while parked will allow me to allocate that space to something else.

it is an absolute STUPID update and I hate everything about it. jesus god, Elon, what the hell is wrong with you? USB drives no longer work. stupid apps that need no change are now movable, yet the important functions of the god damn car are now one more menu below the main screen???? holy crap, this is complete and utter rubbish!!

No, I am NOT done ranting...

I could not agree more. Were you around long enough to live with the version 9 debacle? That was the beginning of the downhill slide. Version 8 was the last version that we had that was actually worth a damn.

Yeah for it's size and weight it is a fun car and being quick doesn't hurt my feelings at all

Wouldn't be surprised, arrogance and naive folks who don't actually use their cars as cars

So then he should let someone who actually gives 2 hoots about the customer a chance to run things, he can go to mars and all :)

Yeah, Elon is looking to Mars as his life’s dream, to be realized. (going to Mars is a patently bad idea, IMHO. Moon is a much better alternative from ROI perspective for the human race, IMHO) Why would he care that a bunch of Tesla customers are about to abandon Tesla.

Tesla as a brand image is now firmly established. The ‘Apple’ of cars. Except, Apple’s customer service is still good today, and the build quality has always been good. While there have been some egregious mistakes by Apple in their designs, generally they are tolerable.

Comparatively, Tesla’s interior design has always been mediocre. 3 and Y take it to ridiculous extremes in a bad way. Steve Jobs famously said “Doing simple is actually very hard. Doing complex, is easy”. Elon thinks ‘doing simple‘ is throwing all the (cough) ‘clutter’ into a closet and pretending everything is cool. 😏

Tesla build quality has always been mediocre. Bad paint, mismatched panels, cheap, monochromatic or dichromatic color choices. Charge $90K and offer a $30K interior on the S and X. Charge $50k and offer a sub $20k interior on the 3 and Y. Especially the 3 and Y interiors are so.. insipid and uninspired designs. Like an accountant was asked to do the interiors design. 😄

People say ‘oh, but look at the loaded TECH!’. Yeah, AP works with a lot of glitches on the freeways, barely works on the city streets. Features on the car have like 70% reliability in any given week. What you are left with is a ‘cool’ car that works like it was a prototype design project of some geewiz engineers. Forever ‘beta’.

Elon is very smart, and one of the most hard working people on the planet. Without him, Tesla would be another forgotten boutique car maker. He has realized things unimaginably hard to realize. I will continue to be a huge fan of him. However, he has developed several blind spots along with a big heaping of arrogance. (‘Success has gone to his head’). If someone else fills his role at Tesla, and he takes a step back to, you know - focus on Mars, it might actually be a good thing for Tesla. If the new person is not just another suit. Majority of the leaders are just suits.

We don't have scientific polling of want % of Tesla drivers 'like' voice commands. But here is some interesting reading on the recent popularity of voice commands among the readership of Android Authority (TLDR, 50% never use them, another 20% only use them once a week).
Safe to say many people just flat out dislike talking to their devices, though clearly some do like using it.
I don’t use Siri on my iPhone. How many times have I used that assistant over the last 10 years? Um, perhaps less than 10 times.

Tesla’s voice recognition is actually good, but following failure points make these a plan B.

1. two step process (see 4, actually 3 step)
2. limited by connectivity (no indication of the status in V11, BTW)
3. failure to understand command (background noise, accents, what not)
4. no aural feedback that the command succeeded, so you have to check. Another step.

Anyone who insists voice commands as an equal to manual touch of an icon, especially if that‘s a single step does not know what they are talking about.

Not ever, going from version 8 to version 9 was worse but you may never have seen that. Trust me it has been way better than it currently is both version 10 and 11 and everything since version 8 is garbage.
Hey man.. so you have a signature with ultra low VIN. How are your charging speeds nowadays at the supercharger? Mine are at best 2 miles per minute with my S.

I was going to ask you how you got the white interior, but remembered that the signatures had that unique option. 👍

We don't have scientific polling of want % of Tesla drivers 'like' voice commands. But here is some interesting reading on the recent popularity of voice commands among the readership of Android Authority (TLDR, 50% never use them, another 20% only use them once a week).
Safe to say many people just flat out dislike talking to their devices, though clearly some do like using it.
No, no, no, no, NO! That doesn't fit the narrative that Texy want's everyone to believe and therefore must be false because it wasn't a scientific survey of every single Tesla owner. And shame on you for trying to pull actual data into the conversation!

Solution number 1 - That's the fun of voice commands...so may different options but many lists do exist. I can use VC for nearly all the things I want ot do and I got those from non official lists!

Solution number 2 - No, Tesla have changed actually very few commands and the online lists are updated frequently. For all the commands I use only 2 have changed in over 24 months.

Solution number 3 - So as in nearly ALL voice command apps...you need to be precise...luckily Tesla gives you several ways to say lots of commands.

Solution number 4 - That's only a problem for the people who actually think they are talking to their car! I'm guessing they prefer to only touch and caress theirs...!

Solution number 5 - Luckily 99% of people's drives are where there is access

Solution number 6 - then when you are on the phone press a button! That's hard eh?! LOL. Better yet, keep calls to a minimum while actually driving, its safer!

Solution number 7 - if its uninterruptable then press the buttons...why is it detractors always think it is black and white?

Solution number 8 - I have an accent, works for me but hey, think of it as helping to improve your spoken English! Hidden benefit?

Solution number 9 - if you are driving with Miss Daisy or Adolf Hitler then just press the buttons, otherwise why would they care?

Solution number 10 - I just tested it with fan on full...worked fine. If it doesnt, guess what, just press the buttons!

Solution number 11 - I can only hope Tesla expand this so other countries can enjoy the benefits of VC

You seem to think that VC should either fully replace screens or go away. I prefer giving people options rather than one size fits all. Perhaps Tesla will allow further customization of the screen so users can decided what goes where but until they do, voice commands remain a good alternative for people not afraid to speak when they have other people in their car, are confident enough to use their voice to control their car, that drive where 99% of us drive our Teslas most of the time, ie in cellular range, that have the cerebral capacity to understand it isnt only VC or just screen, but a rather nice marriage of the two!
Oh my, you do have a severe case of TDS*, don't you? It's quite sad, really.

"that's the fun of voice commands" you never know what's going to work, if it will continue to work or just how you need to phrase it. Sorry, I want to drive my car, not play 20 questions. 'Nearly all voice command apps require you to be precise?' Ha! Siri, Alexa, google - they all understand natural speech and are not picky about syntax or particular verbiage. I get the impression that you'd try to convince someone in a Chinese labor camp that it's a great exercise routine.

Of the last 5 times I've tried using voice commands I have a 40% failure rate. Maybe it's my unintelligible Minnesota accent. Maybe it's because I didn't phrase it as a question. Evidently I'm stupid, insecure unconfident and afraid of my car. That's fine - because I bought my car to drive, not play games with. Figuratively or literally.

Oh, and I don't think VC should go away, but you have been quite vocal that VC is a replacement for the craptacular interface that we're saddled with so it's rather ironic to see you backing off of that claim now.

*TDS: Tesla Derangement Syndrome. A condition seen among some Tesla owners who remain steadfastly convinced that their car is the best car in existence in all aspects and that their Prophet Elon can do no wrong. They frequently resort to nonsensical conclusions, ignore facts and in general exhibit disordered thought processes. Even in the face of glaring evidence they will deny the obvious and persist.

What I wonder is -- do other car manufacturers do this to their customers? Make their cars harder to operate because someone had a cool new idea of how the UI should look? I want to believe it's just a Tesla thing, because I want to believe this won't happen on my next car.
Sometimes that'll happen with the next model (MK8 GTI vs MK7 comes to mind), but on the same car itself, it's rare that any software update changes the UI significantly.

Hey man.. so you have a signature with ultra low VIN. How are your charging speeds nowadays at the supercharger? Mine are at best 2 miles per minute with my S.

I was going to ask you how you got the white interior, but remembered that the signatures had that unique option. 👍

Was just at the supercharger today she was holding steady at about 70 KW at around a 20% state of charge. Generally after "charge/battery" gate I will see maximums of 45 to 55 KW or less. sustained depending upon state of charge. Quite a bit slower my supercharging times have basically doubled.

Never did a calculation of miles added per minute but in any case I know it's pretty slow. Compared to what it was when I got it.

Was just at the supercharger today she was holding steady at about 70 KW at around a 20% state of charge. Generally after "charge/battery" gate I will see maximums of 45 to 55 KW or less. sustained depending upon state of charge. Quite a bit slower my supercharging times have basically doubled.

Never did a calculation of miles added per minute but in any case I know it's pretty slow. Compared to what it was when I got it.
Same here. 45 KW is normal. I wonder if anyone is suing Tesla on this issue. Tesla also kinda screwed themselves because people now stay in the supercharger stall much more because of this issue.

If you are on the phone then the defrost button is a swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen ...is that really too hard for you to do without crashing? If it is may I suggest you stop driving?!
That was exactly I had to do. Pull over, start the defogger and then continue. So, the benefit of “upgrading” my super high-tech, $100k+, less than two year old car is that now I have to pull over in order to start the defogger.
Interestingly, the cheaper Porsche I test drove over the weekend didn’t have such “advanced” features and poor me - I turned on the defogger without the need to pull over. And I was able to see if it was on with just a simple glance! What a backward UI design!

Yeah, Elon is looking to Mars as his life’s dream, to be realized. (going to Mars is a patently bad idea, IMHO. Moon is a much better alternative from ROI perspective for the human race, IMHO) Why would he care that a bunch of Tesla customers are about to abandon Tesla.

Tesla as a brand image is now firmly established. The ‘Apple’ of cars. Except, Apple’s customer service is still good today, and the build quality has always been good. While there have been some egregious mistakes by Apple in their designs, generally they are tolerable.

Comparatively, Tesla’s interior design has always been mediocre. 3 and Y take it to ridiculous extremes in a bad way. Steve Jobs famously said “Doing simple is actually very hard. Doing complex, is easy”. Elon thinks ‘doing simple‘ is throwing all the (cough) ‘clutter’ into a closet and pretending everything is cool. 😏

Tesla build quality has always been mediocre. Bad paint, mismatched panels, cheap, monochromatic or dichromatic color choices. Charge $90K and offer a $30K interior on the S and X. Charge $50k and offer a sub $20k interior on the 3 and Y. Especially the 3 and Y interiors are so.. insipid and uninspired designs. Like an accountant was asked to do the interiors design. 😄

People say ‘oh, but look at the loaded TECH!’. Yeah, AP works with a lot of glitches on the freeways, barely works on the city streets. Features on the car have like 70% reliability in any given week. What you are left with is a ‘cool’ car that works like it was a prototype design project of some geewiz engineers. Forever ‘beta’.

Elon is very smart, and one of the most hard working people on the planet. Without him, Tesla would be another forgotten boutique car maker. He has realized things unimaginably hard to realize. I will continue to be a huge fan of him. However, he has developed several blind spots along with a big heaping of arrogance. (‘Success has gone to his head’). If someone else fills his role at Tesla, and he takes a step back to, you know - focus on Mars, it might actually be a good thing for Tesla. If the new person is not just another suit. Majority of the leaders are just suits.

I've believed for some time that Elon has ADD. I've noticed that ambitious people with ADD tend to prefer a very spartan environment to reduce distractions. That made its way into the cars.

The Model S at least was never intended to compete head to head with luxury cars. It had a luxury car price because the batteries were much more expensive than an ICE. The cost of batteries has come down, but EVs still cost more to make than ICE.

Tesla never intended to stay a luxury car maker. You don't move the needle into the mainstream acceptance only making luxury cars. Cars were luxury items before the Model T. Hanry Ford saw making them affordable by all was the route to the mainstream and that's what happened. The Model 3 and Y were intended to be mainstream cars. They still cost a bit more because batteries are still expensive, but the next generation of batteries might reach parity with ICE. The Model 3 is not comparable to a BMW 3 series or some other European luxury brand, it's more of a Ford Fusion equivalent. The interior is more spartan than a Ford, but the features available is a mix not unusual for a mid-sized family car.

I've seen this dichotomy since I joined this forum. For people who are used to luxury brands, they find Teslas poor in the creature comforts they are used to. For the people who came from much cheaper cars (my last car cost $21 K new), the car has many features we've never had before.

The interface on my car is poor, but reliability is pretty good. The build quality of the body is not as good as my old Buick was, but I'm more function over form. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

As an aside I've noticed people have to run to one extreme or the other these days. Either the thing they are talking about is the greatest thing ever with no exceptions or it's utter garbage. Most things are a mix of good and bad and Tesla is no exception.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've believed for some time that Elon has ADD. I've noticed that ambitious people with ADD tend to prefer a very spartan environment to reduce distractions. That made its way into the cars.

The Model S at least was never intended to compete head to head with luxury cars. It had a luxury car price because the batteries were much more expensive than an ICE. The cost of batteries has come down, but EVs still cost more to make than ICE.

Tesla never intended to stay a luxury car maker. You don't move the needle into the mainstream acceptance only making luxury cars. Cars were luxury items before the Model T. Hanry Ford saw making them affordable by all was the route to the mainstream and that's what happened. The Model 3 and Y were intended to be mainstream cars. They still cost a bit more because batteries are still expensive, but the next generation of batteries might reach parity with ICE. The Model 3 is not comparable to a BMW 3 series or some other European luxury brand, it's more of a Ford Fusion equivalent. The interior is more spartan than a Ford, but the features available is a mix not unusual for a mid-sized family car.

I've seen this dichotomy since I joined this forum. For people who are used to luxury brands, they find Teslas poor in the creature comforts they are used to. For the people who came from much cheaper cars (my last car cost $21 K new), the car has many features we've never had before.

The interface on my car is poor, but reliability is pretty good. The build quality of the body is not as good as my old Buick was, but I'm more function over form. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

As an aside I've noticed people have to run to one extreme or the other these days. Either the thing they are talking about is the greatest thing ever with no exceptions or it's utter garbage. Most things are a mix of good and bad and Tesla is no exception.
I have already said that my Model 3 is an exceptional sports sedan. Not quite the handler my old E46 BMW was, but better than today’s BMW 3 series.

The fact that the driving experience has to be RUINED by a bad UI boggles the mind.

But there it is. Fixable, but won’t get fixed, knowing Tesla. Shame.