Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never opened a game, but I have watched Netflix while sat on the (free) 7kW charger at work over the weekend. Heated seats, surround sound, cup of coffee ... it's better than the flat I rent when away from home for work lol.

I experimented with the driving game for about 2 minutes in the garage. With the physical wheels turning as you turn the steering wheel, they are going to get scrubbed bald on the pavement if you play the game much. Who came up with that brilliant idea?

It's gotten cold in the NW today and I was cycling the window defogger on and off. I was looking at that huge chunk of real estate taken up by the map and wishing I could go back to the earlier version where the map was a window and you could have other things up. I'd be OK if the HVAC screen could be set to be up all the time. Just tile it with the map and the radio controls. There is plenty of real estate on the S/X vertical center screen. I don't know about the horizontal screens.

That probably because we have only had it a couple of days. It'll take time to find everything in the new layout, work out perhaps why the UI was designed the way it was, see the patterns of intention. I am sure there will be lots of articles on the new UI soon enough.

This is the FIRST release of v11 that we will probably have for the next two years, when version 9 came out, as others have said, people were in an uproar then too, it's easy to hate on change. But as the software matures it gets better. You realize that you NEED to have the cellular reception displayed at all times, and it should be easy to turn on the seat heaters w/o turning on the cabin heat, so you put those changes in.

Software design is about taking all the possibilities of what you can do and organizing them into a uniform fashion that someone who has never seen it before should be able to understand the logic. The software we just moved from had 5 different window types, some covered up a bit, others appeared behind those, so the designers went back to the drawing board and tried to come up with a more standard way to represent all we can see on our displays, and gave us the results (as rushed as they may have been) for Xmas. Personally I am thankful.

Meanwhile you are just on the sidelines throwing Molotov cocktails
Whilst appreciating your point of view that change always has good and bad points, depending on your perspective, and the need to rationalise user interface to avoid multiple window types, the developers seem to have killed some of the best aspects (such as CARDS IMO). They have made selection/interface options require more keystrokes and resulted in full screen mode that obscures navigation, music, etc. views. On the other hand the turn indicator blind spot display is very welcome, as is the ability to customise the bottom row.

Unfortunately the good stuff seems to end there, or as you say, needs a lot more development. Why can only apps be "parked" on the bottom row and not car controls? Why do we need app selectors for radio, bluetooth, spotify when the music interface was easier to operate is lost on me. Maybe this release is to make things worse so that anything is an improvement is their strategy. I think a major improvement for all would be to include car control functions in the select and park bottom row as everyone has different ideas about what they use most. Heated seats - I use them about twice a year. Fold and unfold mirrors I use every day and sometimes more often so that would one of my favourites along with the wiper function. Also, I personally would like to have sat nav sound on/off as an icon as I turn off sound on a journey until the last few miles when you need to listen to turn to turn whilst concentrating on new roads. It's become more key stroke intensive to do this since V10. And why not allow more icons on the bottom row?

Overall, I think the big flaw in this development approach is an apparent failure to engage with the user base (or more realistically a smallish representative group) that can have the strategic direction explained to them and work together to make life easier for us all. Not everything can be done by twitter.

Oh, and voice control. I live in the UK have a regional accent and find myself and my car not speaking the same language :(

Shouldn't a good voice control system have a training program so that it will understand owners with different accents or speech patterns? I just don't understand why a voice control system would need to be connected to the internet in order to work. Again I think this is a California thought system at work.

Shouldn't a good voice control system have a training program so that it will understand owners with different accents or speech patterns? I just don't understand why a voice control system would need to be connected to the internet in order to work. Again I think this is a California thought system at work.

All of the popular voice control systems (e.g. "smart speakers") I'm aware of (Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, etc) all send voice to the server. They do this so that they can collect all of the voice data, which allows them to continue making improvements using *past recorded commands* instead of relying on future testing.

That said, voice systems like this *can* and *do* support different accents and speech patterns. Tesla's may not, but this also isn't a core part of their business, so it's likely not getting nearly as much support as something like Amazon Alexa.

In my opinion, voice controls will never be a substitute for a good user interface.

Whilst appreciating your point of view that change always has good and bad points, depending on your perspective, and the need to rationalise user interface to avoid multiple window types, the developers seem to have killed some of the best aspects (such as CARDS IMO). They have made selection/interface options require more keystrokes and resulted in full screen mode that obscures navigation, music, etc. views. On the other hand the turn indicator blind spot display is very welcome, as is the ability to customise the bottom row.

Unfortunately the good stuff seems to end there, or as you say, needs a lot more development. Why can only apps be "parked" on the bottom row and not car controls? Why do we need app selectors for radio, bluetooth, spotify when the music interface was easier to operate is lost on me. Maybe this release is to make things worse so that anything is an improvement is their strategy. I think a major improvement for all would be to include car control functions in the select and park bottom row as everyone has different ideas about what they use most. Heated seats - I use them about twice a year. Fold and unfold mirrors I use every day and sometimes more often so that would one of my favourites along with the wiper function. Also, I personally would like to have sat nav sound on/off as an icon as I turn off sound on a journey until the last few miles when you need to listen to turn to turn whilst concentrating on new roads. It's become more key stroke intensive to do this since V10. And why not allow more icons on the bottom row?

Overall, I think the big flaw in this development approach is an apparent failure to engage with the user base (or more realistically a smallish representative group) that can have the strategic direction explained to them and work together to make life easier for us all. Not everything can be done by twitter.

Oh, and voice control. I live in the UK have a regional accent and find myself and my car not speaking the same language :(

I recently turned on the blind spot camera feature. I feel it’s not very useful at day time, because my hand is obstructing the critical part of the visual information. At night time, I get the flashing turn signal distracting me from an object that might be hiding in my blind spot.

Overall, I feel that feature is not well thought out.

Found this thread looking for others users' feedback on newer UI's and landscape screens.

I had my S in for service (portrait screen) and took a Y out as a loaner/test drive. I had no problems with the Y as a vehicle but I was strongly disappointed by how far I felt the user experience had devolved from where is was before. So much so I'm strongly thinking about not looking new and going for a late 2020 model. My 2016 S has a clean UI with all my often used features available quickly from the thumb wheels, screen or shifters. Distractions from the driving are not an issue at all.

Since I only had limited time with the system maybe someone can tell me if what I want is configurable on the new UI. I'd like to be able to see my wh/mile, trip and sound at the same time. I dislike not being able to see the seat heaters at a glance but it's not critical. A more substantial issue is the smaller screen and landscape mode made the map quite a bit more difficult to gather information as quickly. I felt a few times I had to look away from the road longer than was safe and I still missed a turn.

It's a bind because the 3 and Y are much more in my price range but I was so unhappy with my experience I'm not sure what to do. The price of the new and used S's has jumped so high that would be a significant stretch.

I'm sure there will be some some unhappy reactions to this but I've got over 100,000 miles of driving in a Tesla and still found the UI clunky and the opposite of intuitive.

Found this thread looking for others users' feedback on newer UI's and landscape screens.

I had my S in for service (portrait screen) and took a Y out as a loaner/test drive. I had no problems with the Y as a vehicle but I was strongly disappointed by how far I felt the user experience had devolved from where is was before. So much so I'm strongly thinking about not looking new and going for a late 2020 model. My 2016 S has a clean UI with all my often used features available quickly from the thumb wheels, screen or shifters. Distractions from the driving are not an issue at all.

Since I only had limited time with the system maybe someone can tell me if what I want is configurable on the new UI. I'd like to be able to see my wh/mile, trip and sound at the same time. I dislike not being able to see the seat heaters at a glance but it's not critical. A more substantial issue is the smaller screen and landscape mode made the map quite a bit more difficult to gather information as quickly. I felt a few times I had to look away from the road longer than was safe and I still missed a turn.

It's a bind because the 3 and Y are much more in my price range but I was so unhappy with my experience I'm not sure what to do. The price of the new and used S's has jumped so high that would be a significant stretch.

I'm sure there will be some some unhappy reactions to this but I've got over 100,000 miles of driving in a Tesla and still found the UI clunky and the opposite of intuitive.
No, you’re not missing anything. If it’s any consolation to you, you have can access to the games menu at any time without having to dig though a pesky menu. (Because that’s far more important than knowing your efficiency, a seat heater, the defroster…)

I'd like to be able to see my wh/mile, trip and sound at the same time.
If by trip you mean map, then no, I don't believe this is possible. Energy takes up the whole map area.

I think you can have music and map at the same time, in a couple ratios of screen size, from what I remember, but changing the music player size is clunky AF.

Honestly, I'd wait until we get into 2022.8 software release, and beyond, any week now, before writing off new Y and 3's. From all reports, sketchy as they are, a lot of this clunky mess is being worked on. I don't have high hopes, but I bet it at least becomes workable.

That is why I am so glad that I got one of the last MS with full wheel.
If you are on the market for new EV you should definitely check the new Mercedes MQ “class”. It is a real luxury vehicle, super nice interior (levels above Tesla), high quality, real driver-oriented features, etc. The only thing missing for me is the range (around 340mi) and I am not big fan of Mercedes style (just not my thing - prefer Audi - but that is super subjective)

how long can Elon and Tesla holdout on going backwards with this absolutely failed V11 "upgrade"? wow. just wow. it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a car. it makes me angry EVERY SINGLE time i try to use it and drive.

but the effing games are cool. \s (I've never even played any of the stupid things)
eff me it's just ridiculous Tesla drivers have to put up with this crap. Back to V10. NOW!!!!

how long can Elon and Tesla holdout on going backwards with this absolutely failed V11 "upgrade"? wow. just wow. it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a car. it makes me angry EVERY SINGLE time i try to use it and drive.

but the effing games are cool. \s (I've never even played any of the stupid things)
eff me it's just ridiculous Tesla drivers have to put up with this crap. Back to V10. NOW!!!!
I totally agree, I do give a hoot about games or other stupid stuff just give me what the car had when I purchased it. In fact I do not want FSD so why do you change my 2016 Tesla that is not equipped to have this and I did not ask for it, bring back V10!

That is why I am so glad that I got one of the last MS with full wheel.
If you are on the market for new EV you should definitely check the new Mercedes MQ “class”. It is a real luxury vehicle, super nice interior (levels above Tesla), high quality, real driver-oriented features, etc. The only thing missing for me is the range (around 340mi) and I am not big fan of Mercedes style (just not my thing - prefer Audi - but that is super subjective)

Unfortunately in the midwest, Tesla is the only option still for L3 charging. Most areas off highways are lucky to have L2.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza and sleepydoc