Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been so itching to want to talk about the Teslabot with regard to announcements that are know to be way off the base. Perhaps it fits with “lack of focus”. It also goes to “doesn’t lie” narrative (if you believe it, it’s not a lie). IMO Elon didn’t think they had enough awesome presentation materials so they just made up some vapor ware.
I don't know.. i'm not thinking the Teslabot is vaporware or lack of focus. I think it's going to be another input for the neural network, for the purpose of identifying and dealing with objects in the real world. They clearly believe that computers are superior to humans in every way. To that end, they need to remove a big limitation the computer has versus humans - lack of mobility. Right now their computers are stuck in a car. Freeing the computer from the car will be another step in surpassing human capabilities. No human driver has ever been stuck in a car their whole life. Humans bring so much more from their entire life experience.

Most people don't yet realize how scary this stuff is. The end game isn't just FSD. That's just the foot in the door to much bigger goals. FSD is like the toddler learning to walk.

How do you reconcile Elon’s famous statement about AI and his push for automation? Also, what is the connection between EV and FSD? Why do they need to bundle them, especially when they are at very different stages of maturity.

Reactions: smogne41
How do you reconcile Elon’s famous statement about AI and his push for automation? Also, what is the connection between EV and FSD? Why do they need to bundle them, especially when they are at very different stages of maturity.
Which statement.. AI is the greatest danger of all history to humanity? That's his excuse for doing all this.. he said it's inevitable, whether Tesla does it or not. Someone will. So we have to merge with AI or become completely irrelevant. The most complete version of this is neuralink. FSD is another avenue.

As far as we are concerned, the connection between EV and FSD is nothing, and not necessary at all. It's just a good vehicle for forcing it on society.

Remember when it was commonly accepted that OTA updates were a massive advantage for Tesla? At this point in time, a savvy automaker could actually exploit this fiasco by highlighting this - "With us, you won't have to worry about receiving any updates!"
99% of cars’ UI’s don’t change. If you don’t like change, you’ll probably keep getting disappointed in Tesla.

Interestingly, I used the FSD as driving aid last two winters and I absolutely loved it! There were occasions where I could not see the road - thick fog, complete whiteout, covered signs and marking - and this thing was showing even the lane markings. I guess they are reflective for the LiDAR.
I loved to be able to “see” all that but to let it drive - no way in hell! Just like a teenager - the moment I tried it it went up to the speed limit :)
I've used it occasionally and repeatedly been scared by it. It follows way to closely. On one occasion it slid ¾ of the way though an intersection (I figured it would do so but there were no other cars or pedestrians around so I let it try just to see what would happen.) Frequently after snowstorms there's a path in the road from all the previous cars. This path is often not in the middle of the lane so FSD will try to drive with 2 wheels on relatively clear pavement and 2 wheels plowing through 3 inches of slush until the ABS and traction control kick in and it freaks out. Even on clear, dry roads it can't always get the lanes right.

No, FSD is a long way from ready for primetime in MN!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Interestingly, I used the FSD as driving aid last two winters and I absolutely loved it! There were occasions where I could not see the road - thick fog, complete whiteout, covered signs and marking - and this thing was showing even the lane markings. I guess they are reflective for the LiDAR.
I loved to be able to “see” all that but to let it drive - no way in hell! Just like a teenager - the moment I tried it it went up to the speed limit :)
Are you talking about FSD beta or TACC/NoA?

(And there is no LIDAR in Teslas, the lane detection is none entirely by the cameras .. there is Radar, but neither it nor Lidar can see lane markings.)

No other car manufacturer will give you new software features for free either. New free features that keep my car feeling new is worth it over some minor complaints about the new UI.

No other car company has taken away features with updates either.

Agree with @linux-works. You need one CEO for a startup; totally different for a mature company and very, very few of them could transition from one to the other. In fact, the VC has tremendous respect for those who step down and move on to other areas where they could deploy their skills the best.
Elon was amazing at creating the vision, essentially, creating a whole new market segment, proving that EV are viable, etc. For that, he has my gratitude!
However, opening a market is very different from scaling a company. Scaling requires a totally different skill set and that is where most startups fail. @TexasTezla still drinks the cool aid and he is right that Teslas are selling like hot cakes. However, there are some troubling indicators - quality is going down (it was not great to begin with); service is abysmal; lack of focus (EV? FSD? Mass manufacturer? Truck or car? Van maybe?); ignoring customers; spatting with regulators; simply doing stupid stuff. Again, startup CEOs are so powerful at the early stage because they challenge everything and one or two things pan out. You cannot do that when you have a bigger company.
Elon clearly does not have the experience, state of mind, or maybe even desire to run a large company. He should have stepped down _before_ the ramp up and let someone else who have done similar thing before do it for Tesla. Elon would have been much more successful and beneficial for the society if he had fully re-deployed his talent in SpaceX and similar projects. I still maintain that Tesla is making a mistake bundling EV and FSD; spin-off FSD would be a great place for him to run.
Tesla shorters’ saw all of that but they did not factor in that nowadays it takes longer for those things to unfold because of the fan base phenomenon. See what happens with GameStop.
I know that we are getting off-topic but V11 is actually a symptom of a deeper, structural problem at Tesla. Once a critical mass of people realize that the events will unravel very, very quickly. It pains me to write that because I love the idea, the vision and the mission. But if I, as a lame person, can see those issue, I am sure that many people in other car manufacturers strategy departments see them as well.

GameStop is a garbage stock propped up by fan enthusiasm. Tesla actually has valuable intellectual property that will continue to keep the company going, even if they do make serious mistakes. The company is still way ahead of the competition in many areas. As screwed up as Tesla is right now, most of the competition is much worse. Sandy Munro knows the car business very well and he's pointed out the established companies are moving too slow and have no way to catch up as consumer demand grows.

I do think FSD is a dead end. I just don't see the dream of completely driverless cars happening anytime soon. Even if the technology gets there (maybe, but they aren't there yet), regulators are going to be cautious about approving it, especially if there are some serious accidents as a result of FSD tech.

As a driver assist aid I think FSD tech will be valuable, but it will never be capable of taking over 100% of the time.

Exactly, their UI team outpaces the FSD team. They act as if the FSD is way more mature than it actually is.
I am questioning if FSD, in its current form, is even possible. If we look at the aircraft, where they have FSD for decades, the environment is much simpler to model and, due to the regulator, all of the manufacturers move at the same pace.
With cars we have a much more complex, almost chaotic, environment. You have pedestrians jumping on the road, debris (Tesla still does not know how to avoid those on the highway), potholes, bicycles, emergency vehicles, road closures … While there are rules on the road, there are a lot of informal agreements that, sometimes, go against the rules so that the traffic goes smoother. For example, how many times at a 4 way stop you just look at the other driver and silently agree who would go first? In a lot of states the rules is that the person on the left should give way; in reality, whoever comes first goes first. How many times you look at the person on the sidewalk for visual cues if they intent to cross the street? There is so much judgement and human interaction that I doubt they could model it in AI anytime soon. They cannot fully solve the highway yet (fantom braking anyone?), let alone city driving.
Had it been like airplanes and the cars could “talk” to each other that would have been a much easier and possible undertaking. While we have 2022 Tesla and 1964 Mustang on the road the FSD remains a driver’s aid, nothing more.
And I am not even touching the legal and moral aspect of FSD. Even if they solve the technical issues I am not sure if I want an FSD car.

I was at Boeing when TCAS came along. That's the system that allows aircraft to talk to one another and avoid collisions. That was around 1989, it's now standard on all commercial aircraft. Back then there were jokes that the latest flight deck consisted of one pilot and one dog. The pilot's job was to feed the dog and the dog's job was t bite the pilot if they touched anything. That's how automated aircraft were by 1990. Today all commercial aircraft over a certain size (bigger than a small commuter plane) must have two pilots.

It's a more regulated industry than the automotive industry, but I don't see regulators going for allowing FSD without a driver anytime son.

Tesla doesn't use LiDAR. They used to have radar, but got rid of that. It's 100% visual. Which I also think is a mistake.

Exactly. It is fundamentally true that machine learning and current AI techniques have never been used to successfully solve a problem like this. Will it work? Nobody knows. The fanbois will say 'of course it will' and we are all secret oil company shills for saying otherwise. But they are wrong. I don't know if it will work. They can't know if it will work. Tesla does (or should) not know if it will work. It might work, but just as likely it will not.

There is also the reality of any software development that the first 90% of the 'finished' product takes about 10% of the development time. Software development progress does not accelerate the longer you work on it. It slows down. Hard.

But the possible future existence of real FSD is a horrible excuse for bad design decisions today.

Not just software development, all engineering works on this 90/10 -> 10/90 rule. I first heard of it back in the 1970s with high end stereo equipment like Macintosh. Companies like Sony and such were able to get to 90% perfect sound reproduction at an affordable price, but to get that last 10% out of the system took jumping from a $1000 stereo system to a $25 K+ system.

They probably are over 90% with FSD, but that last 10% is proving to be a nightmare. I've said it before, the big advantage humans have over computers is our ability to quickly filter out irrelevant things. Many accidents are caused by humans not filtering out things that they should have, but we do a great job of it 99.9% of the time. Computers have to filter everything manually. They can do it faster than humans can, but they still need to do it.

There is a test of an AI called the Turing Test that was originally proposed in the 40s or 50s. The concept is a true AI can't be detected by a human over a period of a few minutes. Some AIs are pretty good short term, but somebody can confuse them by doing something unexpected.

Human drivers still have advantages over AIs. If our field of view is bad, we can move the sensory unit (our eyes) to a different spot. I once drove in fog so thick I rolled down the window and listened for other cars at a stop sign. I only went ahead when I was sure there were no cars coming. An AI can't do that because they don't listen to the environment.

Sun glare can disable cameras, especially this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. Humans have visors and sun glasses to help manage.

There are also malevolent actors who could mess with vehicle AIs. They could do various things to jam sensors in ways that will make FSD vehicles just stop and sit there confused, but would allow human drivers to at least get off the road.

Human drivers are fallible, and some human drivers are very poor. AIs driving can probably manage most problem areas than humans, but there are still edge cases where I'm not sure FSD AIs will even be able to manage properly. During the long transition period (decades because non-FSD cars will be around that long) FSD cars will need to deal with the idiot humans driving other cars as well as natural events and humans and animals outside of cars.

Lidar in a Tesla? 😂 You've got some reading up to do!

How do you know it went up to the speed limit if you said "no way in hell" about letting it drive? So you DID let it drive then?

• Funny
Reactions: Amped412
Thank you for confirming my point about automation. In this case, spellchecker replacing radar with LiDAR. Apparently, AI knows more than me.
Yes, I let it try once and that was it. No way in hell the FSD will take over in adverse conditions. Assist - yes; in control - never!
Same thing applies to Tesla. My next car will definitely not be Tesla.

GameStop is a garbage stock propped up by fan enthusiasm. Tesla actually has valuable intellectual property that will continue to keep the company going, even if they do make serious mistakes. The company is still way ahead of the competition in many areas. As screwed up as Tesla is right now, most of the competition is much worse. Sandy Munro knows the car business very well and he's pointed out the established companies are moving too slow and have no way to catch up as consumer demand grows.

I do think FSD is a dead end. I just don't see the dream of completely driverless cars happening anytime soon. Even if the technology gets there (maybe, but they aren't there yet), regulators are going to be cautious about approving it, especially if there are some serious accidents as a result of FSD tech.

As a driver assist aid I think FSD tech will be valuable, but it will never be capable of taking over 100% of the time.

I was at Boeing when TCAS came along. That's the system that allows aircraft to talk to one another and avoid collisions. That was around 1989, it's now standard on all commercial aircraft. Back then there were jokes that the latest flight deck consisted of one pilot and one dog. The pilot's job was to feed the dog and the dog's job was t bite the pilot if they touched anything. That's how automated aircraft were by 1990. Today all commercial aircraft over a certain size (bigger than a small commuter plane) must have two pilots.

It's a more regulated industry than the automotive industry, but I don't see regulators going for allowing FSD without a driver anytime son.

Tesla doesn't use LiDAR. They used to have radar, but got rid of that. It's 100% visual. Which I also think is a mistake.

Not just software development, all engineering works on this 90/10 -> 10/90 rule. I first heard of it back in the 1970s with high end stereo equipment like Macintosh. Companies like Sony and such were able to get to 90% perfect sound reproduction at an affordable price, but to get that last 10% out of the system took jumping from a $1000 stereo system to a $25 K+ system.

They probably are over 90% with FSD, but that last 10% is proving to be a nightmare. I've said it before, the big advantage humans have over computers is our ability to quickly filter out irrelevant things. Many accidents are caused by humans not filtering out things that they should have, but we do a great job of it 99.9% of the time. Computers have to filter everything manually. They can do it faster than humans can, but they still need to do it.

There is a test of an AI called the Turing Test that was originally proposed in the 40s or 50s. The concept is a true AI can't be detected by a human over a period of a few minutes. Some AIs are pretty good short term, but somebody can confuse them by doing something unexpected.

Human drivers still have advantages over AIs. If our field of view is bad, we can move the sensory unit (our eyes) to a different spot. I once drove in fog so thick I rolled down the window and listened for other cars at a stop sign. I only went ahead when I was sure there were no cars coming. An AI can't do that because they don't listen to the environment.

Sun glare can disable cameras, especially this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. Humans have visors and sun glasses to help manage.

There are also malevolent actors who could mess with vehicle AIs. They could do various things to jam sensors in ways that will make FSD vehicles just stop and sit there confused, but would allow human drivers to at least get off the road.

Human drivers are fallible, and some human drivers are very poor. AIs driving can probably manage most problem areas than humans, but there are still edge cases where I'm not sure FSD AIs will even be able to manage properly. During the long transition period (decades because non-FSD cars will be around that long) FSD cars will need to deal with the idiot humans driving other cars as well as natural events and humans and animals outside of cars.
My Model 3 has been giving messages about ‘AP cameras being unavailable’ and disabling the AP every day for the past week.

Reactions: Xdama
My Model 3 has been giving messages about ‘AP cameras being unavailable’ and disabling the AP every day for the past week.

If the sun blinds the cameras they shut down. When the sun is low in the sky it pretty much happens every time the car starts facing the sun in my AP1 car. The service center showed me a way to reset it with some trick with the key fob, but I forgot what it is now. If the car sits overnight it resets. I don't use AP much so it's only an annoyance to me.

Reactions: Xdama and Sporty
GameStop was used as an example how fans could prolong a decline; in no way I am comparing Tesla to GameStop.

Sandy maybe correct (I have some reservations) but a car is much more than technology. Tesla has a ton of technology and patents that could keep them going for a long time. However, if they do not fix the quality at scale, support, and general attitude toward customers they will become just a shell of what they are now. The history is full of examples where a brilliant technology company fails because they ignored the customer.

As I mentioned, technology is one of the challenges with FSD. Another one is the ethical hurdle, which I would argue is even bigger. Currently, we have TCAS but there is a human that can override it because we trust humans to make moral decisions more than we trust AI. Even military drones wait for human’s approval before using lethal force (there is a huge debate about this going on now).
Here is a popular test. A car is driven by AI and is heading for an accident. The choices are either to kill 2 pedestrians or to kill the driver. What is the AI going to optimize for? Would the regulator allow a car that prioritizes the driver? Would the driver buy a car that optimizes for minimum loss of life? Who bears the responsibility (legally) for the optimization algorithm? I would certainly not be legally liable if the car is in control.
Those are very complex and important issues that they are not even talking about. Why do you think we have to hold the wheel when FSD is engaged? Because all those moral and, subsequently, legal issues are far from been resolved.
As a driver assistant FSD on the highway is almost there - and quite useful. But FSD like the pipe dream they are selling is decades away, if ever.
That is why it is best to decouple those two. That would allow them to focus on quality at scale and customer support - really good EV, with awesome driver-oriented UI for the mass market. FSD could be offered separately - together with V11 and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Generally I think you have good thoughts here though I don’t think FSD is a dead end. I definitely think LIDAR is not needed. The environment radiates from every point of matter at all times and you don’t need to shine radiation into the environment; you just need to look at what it’s shining at you.

I think that in eliminating radar Musk was trying to eliminate noise. I think that at some point while or after Tesla has optimized driving with the visible light spectrum they will almost certainly extend the range of electromagnetic radiation they monitor for FSD.

As Sandy Munro suggested, use infrared (solves driving into the sun and improves other low visibility scenarios).

Reading between the lines of what Musk has said, at some point adding back radar may give additional useful information. But right now even just vision processing is obviously tough.

Personally I think a simple and different approach to vision processing could be taken more like how human vision processing works (what we know of it) but 🤷🏼‍♂️ I am no guru.

GameStop was used as an example how fans could prolong a decline; in no way I am comparing Tesla to GameStop.

Sandy maybe correct (I have some reservations) but a car is much more than technology. Tesla has a ton of technology and patents that could keep them going for a long time. However, if they do not fix the quality at scale, support, and general attitude toward customers they will become just a shell of what they are now. The history is full of examples where a brilliant technology company fails because they ignored the customer.

As I mentioned, technology is one of the challenges with FSD. Another one is the ethical hurdle, which I would argue is even bigger. Currently, we have TCAS but there is a human that can override it because we trust humans to make moral decisions more than we trust AI. Even military drones wait for human’s approval before using lethal force (there is a huge debate about this going on now).
Here is a popular test. A car is driven by AI and is heading for an accident. The choices are either to kill 2 pedestrians or to kill the driver. What is the AI going to optimize for? Would the regulator allow a car that prioritizes the driver? Would the driver buy a car that optimizes for minimum loss of life? Who bears the responsibility (legally) for the optimization algorithm? I would certainly not be legally liable if the car is in control.
Those are very complex and important issues that they are not even talking about. Why do you think we have to hold the wheel when FSD is engaged? Because all those moral and, subsequently, legal issues are far from been resolved.
As a driver assistant FSD on the highway is almost there - and quite useful. But FSD like the pipe dream they are selling is decades away, if ever.
That is why it is best to decouple those two. That would allow them to focus on quality at scale and customer support - really good EV, with awesome driver-oriented UI for the mass market. FSD could be offered separately - together with V11 and Sonic the Hedgehog.
The supposed ethical dilemma questions about who to kill etc, are zero sum worldview assumption based and I posit do not reflect real world scenarios.

There are nearly always, if not always, multiple solutions to any problem. Good solutions are not always easy and often feeble minds will say optimal solutions are “impossible” but impossible is simply the easy way out.

Probably the worst part of V11 is it changed my view of the future of my car. Instead of looking forward to my car getting better I now fear It getting worse.

Nailed it! If someone in a position of responsibility at Tesla is so incompetent as to have allowed a release like this, how can we have any kind of confidence for future improvements?

Two years of ownership and the car still won't just start playing music where it left off when I get in. @#$&$@!!!!!

Thank you for confirming my point about automation. In this case, spellchecker replacing radar with LiDAR. Apparently, AI knows more than me.
Yes, I let it try once and that was it. No way in hell the FSD will take over in adverse conditions. Assist - yes; in control - never!
Same thing applies to Tesla. My next car will definitely not be Tesla.
I tried to replicate typing radar in an attempt to get LiDar. No luck! Anyway, I have driven my car in heavy rain conditions and it performed pretty well. Of course, it isn't ready for 100% release from human control, but on long drives it certainly is a very useful feature to avoid fatigue. My next car definitely will be a Tesla!

The supposed ethical dilemma questions about who to kill etc, are zero sum worldview assumption based and I posit do not reflect real world scenarios.

There are nearly always, if not always, multiple solutions to any problem. Good solutions are not always easy and often feeble minds will say optimal solutions are “impossible” but impossible is simply the easy way out.
Intentionally simplified - the reality is much more complex. The point is that we know and have general agreement and understanding of humans’ decisions optimization criteria. That is not exactly the case with AI, especially when I see who is training the algorithms - 25yr old software engineers with barely any driving experience but excellent understanding of the rules. One can see how they follow the letter of the law and in quite a few occasions cause dangerous situations.
There are solutions but I am not sure if we will agree or even know the optimization criteria that the AI would apply.
I am sure that at some point we will have FSD but first we need to solve some serious, not technology-only, challenges. That will take some time. Implementing UI as if we are already there is not a good solution.

Reactions: SalisburySam