Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree, it's the people that are complaining that are the ones that force tesla to make changes. If you're happy with your wipers, that's great, I'm not overly concerned about them ... but they are fairly crap, and if someone wants to shout about it and they get better then that's fantastic.
Things in V11 like "hiding" the fog lights because you don't use them much is madness, but anyone that hasn't hit a sudden patch of fog would probably think i was being over dramatic if I started waving my arms about shouting "safety issue"... but I wouldn't be, it was bloody dangerous trying to poke about at the screen after failed attempts at voice commands.
Sigh. Push stalk away, press fog light buttons. It's easier than before when you had to disappear into the menus that were not scaled for easy touch and across the screen!

• Funny
Reactions: Simavon
Sigh. Push stalk away, press fog light buttons.

Push stalk away - enable or disable auto main beam at the same time

....or, if auto main beam is toggled off in the main lights menu

push stalk away - fix main beam on at the same time.

Why? In what world is that smart ergonomics? It's s**te and people should describe it for what it is - s**te.

It's not, we just have a vocal minority here that keep banging on about the same gripes, there is a handy feature to block people though.
Perhaps people keep banging on about the same gripes because they are frustrated that Tesla are clearly incapable of fixing them. How ironic that a company that prides itself on its tech can’t manage something as simple as auto windscreen wipers - something you’d expect to work flawlessly in a cheap and nasty second hand hatch.

I fully agree, the vocal minority are so unhappy with their Tesla I just don’t understand why they just can’t sell their cars and buy their favourite mundane German saloons and enjoy autowipers and auto headlights.
Perhaps a more positive suggestion would be that Tesla improve their product where improvement is clearly needed. But hey, we mustn’t criticise Tesla because it upsets the fanboys.

Reactions: Simavon
Why? In what world is that smart ergonomics?
This. I feel its more of a workaround rather than functionality by design.

In any case, there'll be no convincing some people on this forum (or some of the Tesla reddit groups, etc) that the car is anything less than perfect and any critisicm of it is akin to kicking their baby.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Push stalk away - enable or disable auto main beam at the same time

....or, if auto main beam is toggled off in the main lights menu

push stalk away - fix main beam on at the same time.

Why? In what world is that smart ergonomics? It's s**te and people should describe it for what it is - s**te.
Yup, it toggles dip vs auto-dip, which won't make any difference, another push to put it back if I need but that's unlikely unless it's dark.

I don't really see how any other gesture is possible with the existing stalks so it's all anyone can sensibly expect as a software feature.

What was rubbish was the previous experience, where I had to open a page full of options and carefully hit some buttons with slightly confusing on/off states. Congratulations Tesla on making v11 have a better experience.

Because **** off and go somewhere else is the lamest retort you can possibly imagine. We expect better. We demand better, because it can be done. And you know what? Despite the valid critiques, the vast majority of us like our cars. We just have the critical faculties to appreciate and articulate that not everything is unicorns and rainbows. Wanting better is not a crime.
Gets a bit boring after the 500th mention though.

This. I feel its more of a workaround rather than functionality by design.

In any case, there'll be no convincing some people on this forum (or some of the Tesla reddit groups, etc) that the car is anything less than perfect and any critisicm of it is akin to kicking their baby.

I don't recall anyone on this forum suggesting their Tesla, whichever model they have, is perfect. I'd be surprised if any model of any brand is. Some owners are just more, or less willing to accept what they believe are the compromises with ownership than others. We'll likely find the more balanced view, somewhere in the middle, is where the majority of owners are.

Me; I love my 2019 M3P .... but it's not perfect. Over the 2 1/2 years of ownership the software/ UI has regularly evolved and I feel more often for better than worse and I'm confident the majority of critical owner feedback with V11 will at least be considered by Tesla, if not acted upon. Overall, I think V11 is a step forward and this initial release will be improved upon over the coming weeks and months. I don't think we should be convincing people either way; we're all capable of coming to our own conclusions and can/ should respectfully accept differences of opinion. I'd imagine the mere fact we're all members of this Forum points to most of us believing their Tesla is more than just a functional mode of transport with four wheels (as my wife feels about her car); it more personal, we're mostly enthusiastic and more emotionally invested then perhaps the average car owner. We generally all have that in common.

But it also looks like in some areas, Tesla still has a way to go to catch up with the traditional car-makers. From what I've heard lighting is one, auto-wipers are another, 2D only navigation mapping is another. That's not a huge surprise of course. These volume seller traditional car-makers add these technologies to every one of their many different models, and have had decades of incremental refinement to make them work. Tesla is a younger company, and has to pick and choose where it puts its effort. Do they sell more cars by getting their developers to work on full self driving or on automatic wiper tuning, after all?

So it is understandable, but I also think that if owners never point out to Tesla that they would like some of the basic features like auto wipers to work better, then they never will. I think it is reasonable to buy a Tesla because you love the areas where they're ahead of the game, but still hope that they improve in the areas where they're behind the game.

You're right, I noticed the auto-wipers were pretty poor when I first test drove an M3 nearly 2 years ago now. I vaguely remember around that time people talking about them being vastly improved by a software update. I've had my car since October 2021 and they haven't improved - in the day they're OK, at night with street lighting they're acceptable but in the dark with no lighting they're really poor. I don't understand why something like this can't be linked to a profile or the car itself - i.e. if I have to manually intervene when the wipers are on auto, increase the sensitivity slightly. Similarly, if I have to turn them off regularly when they're on auto, that would probably suggest the sensitivity needs to be decreased slightly. I would say the same could be done with the auto-high beams too, I never have this on and when I do, my hand hovers over the stalk so I can switch it off as it picks up cars 5 seconds too late.

The annoyance for me is that these are (now basic) features other manufacturers have been getting right for years but don't get addressed in updates. Instead we get boombox and other pointless things. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but I get frustrated when basic issues, that have been complained about in various places for years, don't get addressed in updates.

I don't mind the V11 update so much, I do think the screen now looks more like a cheap Android tablet and there has been some time adjusting to it. But the decision to bury some features in menus is questionable, when I read about it I thought it would be great and much more customisable so that shortcuts could be created. It just seems like some things weren't thought through properly or tested properly.

With my moderator hat on, can we just try and keep the discussion civil otherwise I'll end up spending my evening moving posts to the snippiness area

And with the hat off.... (and at the risk of needing to move my own post later!!)...

Cars are a mixture of attributes, some good, some bad. My frustration is partly "Tesla is more high tech than anything out there..." which is the claim by some and yet some basics don't work, and the "4 years of updates" can equally be seen as "4 years of finishing what should have worked 4 years ago". There is so much relatively basic technology that Tesla do not have compared to others - meaningful and accurate speed limit recognition in all situations, adaptive headlights as mentioned, surround parking view despite having all those cameras, head up display, rear cross traffic safety warnings, refusing to lock or allow the boot to close if the key is in the car, the foot wave and the boot opens thing, carplay, safety camera alerts... I value these things more than TikTok and Disney+because they're things that I'd use. If I spent hours charging with kids then I might value things differently.

I also don't get the "fancy headlights are an option on other cars" argument because so what? Does that excuse the fact Tesla don't have them on the most technically advanced car you can buy? Tesla have virtually no options, but options aren't a bad thing. If the Model 3 was available for £2k less without the glass roof I'd have £2k more in my pocket. And before we're too critical of the oposition pricing, Tesla charge £1500 for a wheel upgrade, on the BMW i4 you can pay £1350 and also get bigger brakes, improved cooling, wider rear wheel arches etc. thrown in. EAP is £3,400. BMW charge £1,900 for parking, dashcam, driver assist, lane change, surround view etc. One approach isn't better than another, they're just different.

As it happens, yesterday the autowipers were the best they've been for me on the Tesla, but my confidence is still low and I would not be surprised if the next release made them worse - and that is a real sense of frustration. At least our BMW has the same faults, missing features and idiosyncracies that it had last week, and the buttons are in the same place.

As it happens, yesterday the autowipers were the best they've been for me on the Tesla, but my confidence is still low and I would not be surprised if the next release made them worse - and that is a real sense of frustration.

I honestly don't really think that core auto wiper performance has changed for quite a while. When we've have a recent update and a good day with the wipers there's a tendency to put 2 and 2 together and get 5. I generally have pretty good auto wiper performance ... but yesterday was quite the opposite of your own experience in that they had the poorest day for ages! I strongly suspect that if I give the windscreen and wipers a good clean, or the sun shines differently, I will get different performance tomorrow. It's quite a boring topic really. Until there's some major announcement and obvious change I'd rather just forget about it and resort to manual on the few occasions that's needed.

Reactions: Mrklaw
As it happens, yesterday the autowipers were the best they've been for me on the Tesla, but my confidence is still low and I would not be surprised if the next release made them worse - and that is a real sense of frustration. At least our BMW has the same faults, missing features and idiosyncracies that it had last week, and the buttons are in the same place.
Ideally you would need several long drives where your wipers were needed to be able to tell if the software version you are on has made the difference or if the stars just happened to align and it all worked well for you on this one occasion.

At the moment we seem to be getting upgrades quite frequently and people jump to an assumption that the update two days ago has improved or made the experience worse, when possibly if the software hadn't been updated your experience may have been exactly the same - there are many variables at play here, and even the reload as the software is upgraded may make a difference, not the actual change in code.

I don't recall anyone on this forum suggesting their Tesla, whichever model they have, is perfect. I'd be surprised if any model of any brand is. Some owners are just more, or less willing to accept what they believe are the compromises with ownership than others.
I think the slight difference here is that Tesla HAS the ability to improve the vehicle through software updates, and has possibly made it worse with the latest major update in the eyes of some owners.

A more traditional car is fixed in terms of form, through the use of many physical buttons, and function, provided by the multiple closed systems the OEMs provide to the car manufacturer. There will certainly be shortcomings, and things that don't work as well as you may wish, but you have to accept them and move on with your life because they won't change during the lifetime of the vehicle. With a Tesla you have hope.

Reactions: Adopado
Was thinking the same, option to add both apps and 'function shortcuts' (seat heater, wheel heater, demist etc) and also how about data widgets (that could show basic trip data and updated dynamically to replace the old cards). Make more space to add as many of these as possible and I think we're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.