Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 Supercharger -UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The first V4 Tesla Supercharger station has opened in the UK​

‘Future-proofed’ charging hubs bring 250kW power… even for non-Tesla electric cars and comes with a PayPad so non Tesla don’t have to use the app and longer cables.

Teslas will probably continue to do better as Tesla Superchargers will know how to work best with Tesla cars

The time to start a charge is a difference between Tesla and 3rd Party. 3rd Party seem to be very slow implementing automatic handshake and most still need faffing around with APPs / RFID cars etc. Why? Just start charging, if in 2 minutes an account hasn't been established then stop - and blacklist the VIN/whatever if you like. That would mean that someone on "fumes" who attempted to charge would at least get "a bit", if they were unable to get the blessed APP working, and have a little bit of juice to drive to find an alternate.

Or (BP Pulse) they either want your money sitting in their account, or they debit you 50-quid and then refund the difference "a few days later".

I don't have experience of a subscription for non-Tesla brand (and would that cover me for the myriad of brands out there?) but Tesla still seems to be have the advantage in all of that. And the much larger number of stalls-per-site. And good dashboard indication of whether busy, or not - including IME when the site gets a powercut ... and when it comes back online again.

Seems to me that Tesla supercharger is what-it-should-be-like and the others are being lead by the nose by their marketers ... wanting monopoly subscriptions, gauging of customers wallets - rather than trying to encourage brand loyalty (for people not already having a subscription)

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone would disagree that the SuC network is fantastic. However, just occasionally there are better alternatives. When I charge at Gretna I usually find there’s a queue at the SuC. Instead I use the Ionity chargers which give me a faster charge than the 150KW SuC. I’m charged up and ready to go while some Tesla drivers are still queuing. It doesn’t seem to occur to them that they’re not obliged to use the SuC, and they clearly don’t realise there’s a better alternative a hundred yards away.

Reactions: Hurricane
I don’t think anyone would disagree that the SuC network is fantastic. However, just occasionally there are better alternatives. When I charge at Gretna I usually find there’s a queue at the SuC. Instead I use the Ionity chargers which give me a faster charge than the 150KW SuC. I’m charged up and ready to go while some Tesla drivers are still queuing. It doesn’t seem to occur to them that they’re not obliged to use the SuC, and they clearly don’t realise there’s a better alternative a hundred yards away.
I would happily pay double to use anything but the Gretna superchargers. Shambles.

Reactions: Artiste
So what is the advantage of V4 over V3 for Tesla drivers? The two main upgrades seem to be PAYG and a longer cable, both of which are aimed at encouraging non Tesla drivers to use them.
Less likely to get another make blocking 2 bays because of charge port location is a benefit

More investment in the network, so more locations

But I agree, nothing really once you’ve plugged in.

Yes, I agree about not blocking 2 bays, but apart from that V4 seems all about encouraging non Teslas to use them. Which is anything but an advantage for Tesla owners.

Yes, avoiding blocking 2 bays by other makes is a *huge* benefit to Teslas as the network opens up and more and more non Teslas start using Superchargers. They also future proof the chargers for increased performance in the future. The main reason for the features like screens and CC payment is that they are becoming a regulatory requirement.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
If you want to keep with your argument you could say it is Teslas fault for not putting the charge port in the same place as legacy EV makers.

The problem is even "legacy EV makers" can't make up their minds. Across them they probably cover every possible place, front wings, front grill, rear side, boot ....Much worse than the old ICE where it was just one rear side or another.

Yes, I agree about not blocking 2 bays, but apart from that V4 seems all about encouraging non Teslas to use them. Which is anything but an advantage for Tesla owners.
Actually, increasing the utilization of the chargers provides more revenue to Tesla so that they can charge less per kWh and open even more charging stations. Both a benefit to Tesla drivers. (The fixed costs of the site, hardware, and any utility demand charges, get spread out over more charging sessions.)

Ideally stations usage would be close to maximum capacity at all times to decrease costs.

Using the ‘correct’ bay. No cable length issue this morning…

Tap to pay works well. QR code at completion of charge gives VAT receipt. Happy Days.

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg