Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 UI Overhaul

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they'll stick with the missing odometer. Either for regulations or other reasons.

As for the analog/arc UI. I hope they keep it. If not, I'd like a setting for restoring "classic" UI -- well, I wish we had that already but at least restoring "v2 UI" would be desirable.

I don't think they'll stick with the missing odometer. Either for regulations or other reasons.

As for the analog/arc UI. I hope they keep it. If not, I'd like a setting for restoring "classic" UI -- well, I wish we had that already but at least restoring "v2 UI" would be desirable.

im hoping for something along these lines ... user selectable interface. some people might like the current design, others might like something new. would be great if the someday to be released API allowed you to create your own "skins". someone like myself, i'd use them all - get bored with one and change it up. lets see a few options, and let the driver customize/pick!

im hoping for something along these lines ... user selectable interface. some people might like the current design, others might like something new. would be great if the someday to be released API allowed you to create your own "skins". someone like myself, i'd use them all - get bored with one and change it up. lets see a few options, and let the driver customize/pick!

+1 but I'm afraid this sort of thing has to take a back seat to the sorely needed bug fixes.

I think this display is only for when autopilot is active, otherwise the speedo/energy consumption dial is there.

This is what I'm thinking too. Like when you first get in the car, the speedometer isn't displayed until you start it.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope they get rid of the round analog dials, it's completely useless, makes no sense on a modern car, and is a big waste of space. The power/regen dial should be replaced with a simple bar instead. The analog speedo is not needed. Speed limit/cruise control markers on the speedo is confusing and very hard to read - they should be shown with numbers instead, under the big digital seedometer.

I'm sure this caters to the traditionalists that want an analog dial. I'm ok with it, but it would be even neater if they gave us a choice of 3-4 different displays we could choose from - like the Corvette, Cadillac, and others . . .

This is what I'm thinking too. Like when you first get in the car, the speedometer isn't displayed until you start it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure this caters to the traditionalists that want an analog dial. I'm ok with it, but it would be even neater if they gave us a choice of 3-4 different displays we could choose from - like the Corvette, Cadillac, and others . . .

+1 on the customizable displays! Choices on style and options would be great here...

There are already some very creative all digital dashboard displays in some of the super cars that are user configurable. While they look extremely cool, I find some of them difficult to read. I too find analog dial type display easier to read when I quickly glance at it. Maybe that's why some of the super car maintain the analog dial even in full digital displays.

Hopefully if Tesla is going to make any changes they would allow user configurability like somebody stated above.

Video of some cool digital dash:

Lexus LFA Lexus LFA Gauge Panel Demo at VIP Auto Salon - YouTube
Lambotghini Revention: Lamborghini Reventon Top Speed Run -GT6- - YouTube
Lamborghini Huracan: Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 - Dashboard Display Tour - YouTube

I hope they get rid of the round analog dials, it's completely useless, makes no sense on a modern car, and is a big waste of space. The power/regen dial should be replaced with a simple bar instead. The analog speedo is not needed. Speed limit/cruise control markers on the speedo is confusing and very hard to read - they should be shown with numbers instead, under the big digital seedometer.

Quite honestly without stopping to stare at the instrument I can't see the light blue on black analog speedometer. Can see the orange/green power meter well enough.

Surprised to see a picture of the 73 here. Seems to be going a bit slow for a decent, at least going into Miami .

Have to agree that the analog gauges are much better than digital for spotting trends and I hope they don't change.

I'd agree that the speed limit/cruise markers are non-intuitive, but don't be so quick to dismiss analog (or simulated) analog gauges. I spent many years as an airline pilot flying various glass cockpit configurations. I also now design control and navigation front ends for ships. When in autopilot mode, I can see how the new interface might present more relevant information. But when manually controlling something, analog gauges allow you to spot trends (i.e., rates of change) much more quickly than digital. Here is an image of a 737 primary flight display. Note the speed tape near the left side of the image. It shows both digital and analog readouts of the indicated airspeed. Motion of the tape up or down allows you to quickly detect any small airspeed changes, while the digital display gives a precise number.

Note that "analog" doesn't have to mean "round." Take advantage of the hardware.

View attachment 76666

Last edited:
Looks like the UI style is going darker and flatter as previewed but with minor changes:

Info on Autopilot + v7 from a Tesla employee

- I asked if I could see v7 which was running in the car, after a quick 'thought' ('yes' was not immediate), I was let in the drivers seat - it was made VERY clear not to try to take any pictures. I was very surprised to be allowed to sit down.
- The person did almost all of the interaction, except when I asked to press CONTROLS once (this was out of respect, but it seemed like this person would have been ok with me pressing buttons at will)
- I didn't think to press the T to see version number
- As talked about on here (TMC), it is the dark/flat look that was in the demo cars at the D launch.
- I was a bit overwhelmed, and didn't take too many mental notes about the specific looks. Icons were less cartooney.
- There is less contrast between the background and the text/icons - sun was shining brightly on the screen, and even the individual had trouble making out the bottom row of buttons (settings, temp, etc).
- The layout exactly mimics what we have - everything is in same place on the 17" screen
- There is a new icon indicating charge port is open
- On a very quick pass through, the CONTROLS screen seemed to be the same. The individual jumped through some pages, I didn't notice anything, but certainly may have missed items.
- It was implied that there were not any BIG new features - I did not see an APPS icon for instance - and it is still the same 2 open windows layout. This relates to my perception the person would have let me press buttons at will - in that there wasn't anything present they thought needed to be hidden.
- The top icons (nav, music, etc) did not seem to be 'in a tray' as they are now (or so my memory recalls - again, didn't think to pay enough attention)
- This individual stated being very bothered when various button presses would take time to activate - so the team spent considerable effort speeding response times up - but are limited by the hardware (I did not ask about model X having a faster processor)
- This person never uses the web browser (who does LOL), so couldn't comment if it was much faster. When launched, it was set to go to youtube.com - but didn't load in a few seconds and we moved on. Typing this now, youtube is an odd site for it to automatically launch to, I wonder if they added in video playback? but again, the site didn't load, so that is just a guess on my part.
- Car was running 3G - From what I read here, LTE hasn't really sped things up for owners, but this individual indicated it should, FWIW
- Nothing obvious changed with backup camera.
- Panning in Nav seemed smoother/quicker.
- Did not see Music or Energy windows.
- I did joke about there being a bunch of little features that likely were added, the person indicated indeed there are.
- One such little feature, and one this person never even noticed before I pointed to it (in this persons defence, autopilot was their focus, not the V7 overhaul), was a LOCK icon at the very top left of the screen. It appeared to indicate if the doors are locked or not. This individual never actually noticed it there before. Did not test, but I suspect it may be a quick way to lock/unlock the doors - yay.
- The instrument cluster follows the same dark/flat approach.
- The energy graph and nav were on screen. As much as I said 'flat', these two were 'rounded', in the sense of round dials - the energy graph no longer is the rectangular design.
- v7 UI Overhaul is very close, again except for the rounded energy graph (and I'm pretty sure Nav was rounded as well, but less certain)
- As the car wasn't in motion/on (i didn't step on the brake), nothing of note was displayed in the center area.
- It was mentioned that the center area got a large redesign. I honestly couldn't grasp/picture what was being explained to me - it sounded like the round dial interface was gone - which would seem to be represented in the above link/picture.
- The center area is going to show the cars position in relation to the lane markings
- It (or somewhere) will also indicate the position and distance of cars/objects around you - "very dynamic" were the words used.

I have to disagree with your opinion here. I think the speed limit/cruise control markers are surprisingly intuitive to grasp and I think they did a great job putting such a lot of information on one dial without it becoming confusing. To me, they are very clear and a vast improvement on what I've seen on other cars. Luckily we are all allowed to have differing opinions. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I have to disagree with your opinion here. I think the speed limit/cruise control markers are surprisingly intuitive to grasp and I think they did a great job putting such a lot of information on one dial without it becoming confusing. To me, they are very clear and a vast improvement on what I've seen on other cars. Luckily we are all allowed to have differing opinions. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I love the circle dial, and hope V7 allows a way to switch back to it.

I love the circle dial, and hope V7 allows a way to switch back to it.

I haven't driven the car yet (carefully avoiding a test drive that would likely push me into buying before the time is right,) but I've been very impressed with the amount of useful and intuitively accessible information Tesla squeezed into the circle. It seems like a great UI, and keeping it as an option would seem wise.
Walter

So does nobody else find it odd that the UI in the leaked photos looks less polished than the one from a year ago at the D event?

Is it a beta version with full functionality, but lacking the final visual implementation, is it a step back to a "flatter" interface, or is it just the difference between autopilot engaged or disengaged?
I don't think it's the latter, because why would the gray border/road be different between autopilot on or off?

August 2015:

Tesla-Autopilot-Firmware-7.jpg

October 2014:

TESLA_autopilot.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I like how they tried to emulate the Bay Area by assuming every other car on the road is a Tesla. :biggrin:

Elon showed be the final version and only the vehicles in front of the car resemble Model S, all the ones behind look like BMW i8s. :wink: