Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9.0 in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on past major release roll-outs, it's more likely that once V9 starts being distributed, it will take weeks to months before owners see it in their cars, following what will appear to be a seemingly random sequence for distributing the update.

And, unless Tesla has made improvements in their software development and testing process, we're likely to see major issues encountered during the early installs - causing the process to pause while they fix those issues before resuming the process.

One of the features Musk promised months ago was the ability for owners to request an update be installed in their car - if/when we get this feature, then owners would have a little more control over when they would see the software update, and could (theoretically) request the update be sent to the car quickly after it first starts getting distributed. Will we see this as part of V9?

Reactions: Bogobec
Based on past major release roll-outs, it's more likely that once V9 starts being distributed, it will take weeks to months before owners see it in their cars, following what will appear to be a seemingly random sequence for distributing the update.

And, unless Tesla has made improvements in their software development and testing process, we're likely to see major issues encountered during the early installs - causing the process to pause while they fix those issues before resuming the process.

One of the features Musk promised months ago was the ability for owners to request an update be installed in their car - if/when we get this feature, then owners would have a little more control over when they would see the software update, and could (theoretically) request the update be sent to the car quickly after it first starts getting distributed. Will we see this as part of V9?

As much as I want v.9, you have a point. I will take it when it arrives and if bug fixes happen along the way before I get it, all the better I guess. It's not like we can't live vicariously through the internet and watch the roll out in real time.

That said, my response it what people that don't have it say. If I get it early, you waiters are on your own. :D

I was making the argument yesterday that this release would be different because Tesla would push it to as many cars as possible so they could recognize additional revenue for the EAP features they are enabling (on-ramp to off-ramp driving).

But now I’ve read that feature is only available for HW 2.5 cars, so I’ll change my answer that the rollout will go like mad to THOSE cars only as a priority. The more of those they can get to owners who bought EAP, the more revenue they can recognize. Say 75,000 cars where they could recognize $1,000 of EAP revenue would be huge for Q3 results.

Reactions: tizio
But now I’ve read that feature is only available for HW 2.5 cars

Where are you reading that? Everything I have read, based on this, said AP2 and AP2.5, in the US:

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) - Model S/X with AP2&2.5, US ONLY!
Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)- Model 3, US ONLY!

The feature that is limited to AP2.5 is the dashcam feature.

Reactions: tizio