Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9.0 in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Aug 1, Elon tweeted that v9.0 will be released in 4 weeks. Today is 4 weeks later. I know Elon time is real and I fully never expected it to be released in August. But September is almost here and I'm hoping for some signs of beta tester signups as alluded to in the past before general roll out. I really want to use v9 to see if I should order a Model3 before September 16 for the free supercharger. What do you all think? V9 before September 16?

Personally, I don't really need another Tesla. I just need an excuse to get the M3 Performance. If V9 doesn't add anything substantial, then I'll just wait until the $35K comes out. My daily commute is 10 miles 2x/week and 30 miles 3x/week so I don't need the M3P. My MX takes care of road trips already.

Musk said v9 hopefully to beta testers at the end of August/beginning of September, and then full release sometime in September.

August 2nd - “Now we are focused on the version 9.0 software release which has a number of really cool things in it – and we’re hoping to get that out to the early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. That’s the hardcore focus right now and that will certainly include some significant advancements in autonomy.”

Tesla plans to release Autopilot ‘On Ramp/Off Ramp’ feature in version 9.0 update next month

Reactions: Sonic_78
In reality, it's usually at least 3-4 weeks after the initial beta release before it starts slowly rolling out to everyone. So that means start looking for those odd-numbered builds that go out to a small number of cars (like 5) on TeslaFI. Then look around the same time for a rumor on Electrek — they seem to have sources. Look at yesterday, before the first car hit TeslaFi with 2018.32.4, they ran a piece on PIN unlock to drive.

Until any of that happens, it's not at all worth even holding your breath. Software updates like this don't just appear with no advance notice.

Reactions: tizio
On Aug 1, Elon tweeted that v9.0 will be released in 4 weeks. Today is 4 weeks later. I know Elon time is real and I fully never expected it to be released in August. But September is almost here and I'm hoping for some signs of beta tester signups as alluded to in the past before general roll out. I really want to use v9 to see if I should order a Model3 before September 16 for the free supercharger. What do you all think? V9 before September 16?

What you forget is that Elon is involved in multiple companies and thinks far beyond our earth measurements. A day to you and me might be one earth rotation or roughly every 24 hours. A week to us would be 7 of those days in a row. To Elon, he may simply be hyper focused on SpaceX and forgot to convert Martian days to Earth days and in the process should have referred to the release being in 1 month instead of 4 weeks.

Now, I understand a Martian day is only 40 minutes longer than an Earth day and would put us at only 7 earth days and 5 hours, which would fit his "about" generalization; but if we can all acknowledge that Elon should have said a month instead of 4 weeks, we then can see that a Martian year is 687 earth days, and a Martian month would be 57.25 earth days. That would put us at September 27 @ 8:40PM (PT?, so 28th for some) from the day he announced. So relax, we're on track so far.

• Funny
Reactions: Bogobec
It would be nice to see 1 beta tester confirmed to get this today. Just for the sake of credibility. Then roll it out next month. But whatever.

I'd like to see the update on demand feature and dash cam too in this release. But whatever.

It is all good my friends. Time ticks on and one day the yellow clock will be alight on our MCUs.

Reactions: Doctt