Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess Tesla decided that it would be confusing to show four pressures without being able to tie a specific pressure to a specific tire, better to just display if a tire was too low.

I'd rather have the pressures shown, even if I don't know which tire it is. At least I'll know how many tires are low.

I wonder how much of valet mode will be available on older (classic!) cars? For instance, until fairly recently, there was a manual release for the frunk underneath the glove box. That make a frunk lockout defeatable, but a frunk lockout might still be useful. Will Tesla give that to us?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the glove box button was not connected to the computer at all. If true, then a glovebox lockout would be impossible.

I wonder how much of valet mode will be available on older (classic!) cars? For instance, until fairly recently, there was a manual release for the frunk underneath the glove box. That make a frunk lockout defeatable, but a frunk lockout might still be useful. Will Tesla give that to us?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the glove box button was not connected to the computer at all. If true, then a glovebox lockout would be impossible.

You could have the frunk set off the alarm if the manual release were pulled in valet mode. Not sure if there's anything that could be done about the glove box.

I wonder how much of valet mode will be available on older (classic!) cars? For instance, until fairly recently, there was a manual release for the frunk underneath the glove box. That make a frunk lockout defeatable, but a frunk lockout might still be useful. Will Tesla give that to us?.
I think one of the main concerns, at least for me, is the valet accidentally popping the frunk with the keyfob, then damaging it when they try to close it.

Disabling the keyfob frunk opening should be disable-able on our classic Model S cars.

Well, here is what the press release says, verbatim. It addresses your concerns, and there is no indication that it will not apply to all cars (obviously the announced Auto Pilot features only apply to the newer cars):
--------------
Valet Mode
Valet Mode conveniently and discreetly limits Model S’s driving performance and restricts access to certain settings and personal information. With the touch of a button, owners can place a limit on speed, lock the glove box and frunk, and disable personal information like driver profiles and homelink settings.

Well, here is what the press release says, verbatim. It addresses your concerns, and there is no indication that it will not apply to all cars (obviously the announced Auto Pilot features only apply to the newer cars):
--------------
Valet Mode
Valet Mode conveniently and discreetly limits Model S’s driving performance and restricts access to certain settings and personal information. With the touch of a button, owners can place a limit on speed, lock the glove box and frunk, and disable personal information like driver profiles and homelink settings.

I don't see where it says that all of those valet mode features will be available on all cars, or even that any of those features will be available on all cars. So that doesn't address my concerns.

Most valets won't know about a manual frunk release, and hopefully they are too busy to think about it. Most owners store their owner's manual in the glove box, and that would be locked from prying eyes. Almost everything in the Model S is controlled by software. It would be difficult to understand why Tesla would decouple the glove box control from the rest of the system. I think the valet mode will be for all cars.

We'll find out soon! :)