Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of FSD on resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In evaluating upgrading to FSD at $8000, I looked into what the resale value of a model S with FSD versus one without. Using KBB as my guide, it looks like FSD at best will add $3000 to the resale value of a Tesla. That’s a lot of instant depreciation for a $8000 upgrade. Even worse at $12000. Is this indicative of the market voting with its dollars saying FSD is not worth the investment? I drive a 2024 model Y with FSD having transferred it from my 2018 model S 75D. Was thinking about selling the model S and was surprised at a fairly consistent resale value of only about $24000 on Carvana and KBB. Same car with FSD valued at $27000. Value is based on a California location where there are many used Teslas for sale. I do use FSD and like the auto park, summon (very useful when people park to close to the driver side doors) and highway FSD aspects of it. Based on my street driving use of it, I have no confidence in its ability to operate predictably or consistently.

Most all new and used cars are seeing reduced prices. They went way up during Covid, and now returning to more normal.
Accessories, like FSD, rarely bring much resale value in the used market. People buying used are more interested in the transportation value, rather than add ons.
For most, the $99 Monthly option may be a better choice.
I am using the FSD free trial and am blown away on how capable it it. It does not yet drive like a typical human, but certainly gets the job done in many circumstances.
OP may find that a new Model S will cost much less to buy now than when he purchased his original 75D. The latest S will have more range, be quicker, faster charging, improved styling and interior as well.
Since he was able to transfer his previous FSD to his newer car, he has gotten lots of months out of his lower initial FSD purchase. Not exactly sure what he is complaining about.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
This is true for many upgrades. Prior to my Tesla, I've always sunk about $3k on audio upgrades to my cars. When selling them to dealers / trade in, I've never gotten that money back even a little. The only way to get any back was to sell private party and sell the buyer on the sweet audio.

So sell your Tesla private party and sell em on the FSD - be a salesman and you'll get back more.

Reactions: jmaddr
In the past, FSD software didn’t transfer when the vehicle was sold - the new owner had to re-purchase the software. The hardware does go with the car. Has the software policy changed?
No, but Tesla has offered the FSD transfer promotion twice as a sales incentive, in Q3 last year and Q1 this year. It may or may not happen again, but there was no change to the policy.

No, but Tesla has offered the FSD transfer promotion twice as a sales incentive, in Q3 last year and Q1 this year. It may or may not happen again, but there was no change to the policy.
I think that Padelford is saying Tesla removes FSD if you sell your car BUT still WRONG if on a private sale or to any entity other than Tesla. It is only (possibly) removed if you trade in to Tesla or Tesla somehow buys the car. But if you trade in to Tesla it dosn't matter to you what they do.

Reactions: DanCar
That’s for the original owner to transfer to a new vehicle. If the original owner doesn’t or can’t transfer FSD, AFAIK the FSD software “license” doesn’t transfer to the new owner of the used vehicle, only the hardware.(moderator note: a purchased FSD license DOES transfer with the sale of the car to the new owner. Only of Tesla owns the car again, has it been known to remove FSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jangy and DanCar
That’s for the original owner to transfer to a new vehicle. If the original owner doesn’t or can’t transfer FSD, AFAIK the FSD software “license” doesn’t transfer to the new owner of the used vehicle, only the hardware.
YES it does. If you sell your Tesla to a friend they will get FSD if it is on your car. Tesla will NOT remove it in any way. It is "PART" of the car and not considered a license to you.

Reactions: DanCar
This is true for many upgrades. Prior to my Tesla, I've always sunk about $3k on audio upgrades to my cars. When selling them to dealers / trade in, I've never gotten that money back even a little. The only way to get any back was to sell private party and sell the buyer on the sweet audio.

So sell your Tesla private party and sell em on the FSD - be a salesman and you'll get back more.
Totally agree on selling to a private party. Looks like 2018 model S 75d without FSD are selling for over $30k. Some interesting points in the responses about if FSD software transfers with the car. Some say yes, some say no. (moderator note: YES, legitimately purchased FSD always transfers. Cases where it doesn’t transfer have always turned out to be where there is no legitimate FSD purchase, i.e. Tesla owned it and removed it, or it was a complimentary employee version or similar.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most all new and used cars are seeing reduced prices. They went way up during Covid, and now returning to more normal.
Accessories, like FSD, rarely bring much resale value in the used market. People buying used are more interested in the transportation value, rather than add ons.
For most, the $99 Monthly option may be a better choice.
I am using the FSD free trial and am blown away on how capable it it. It does not yet drive like a typical human, but certainly gets the job done in many circumstances.
OP may find that a new Model S will cost much less to buy now than when he purchased his original 75D. The latest S will have more range, be quicker, faster charging, improved styling and interior as well.
Since he was able to transfer his previous FSD to his newer car, he has gotten lots of months out of his lower initial FSD purchase. Not exactly sure what he is complaining about.
Not really complaining. Just wondering if the low resale value of FSD is because the market is not there for it or if it’s something else affecting the value. If the FSD license does not transfer with the car, that could explain the low to no resale value of FSD. Very happy with FSD in the model Y for highway use, summon and parking and still happy with my model S even without FSD.

To be totally clear, FSD is locked to the car, so if you sell it, FSD goes with it. The only time FSD was removed from a car when sold was if it was sold back to Tesla or a 3rd party, like Carmax, gets the car back to Tesla. If you sell it private party to someone, they will get FSD if it was on the car previously.

This is obviously not the case for subscriptions, just FSD purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
We took the offer last Summer and swapped our 2/2018 Model 3 for a new Y. Obviously the fact the offer was repeated again this year does somewhat muddy up the buy vs rent calculus. When we bought FSD for two cars there was no rental option. We paid $5000 total for one car EAP/FSD and $7000 total for the other AP/FSD, with FSD added to both cars during the spring 2019 one-time sale. I thought that price was pretty outrageous given the state of the product and probably would rent if I was deciding today, even though $8000 is much closer to our cost than the outrageous $15000 price that Musk promised would only increase.😆

Last edited:
First Tesla does not grant FSD software like a software licensee. Here is an analogy: FSD=upgraded wheels. If you sell your car the upgraded wheels stay on the car. Tesla never comes and changes the wheels to standards wheels. The upgraded wheels stay on the car no mater what you do with it. The only exception is if Tesla owns the car again (trade in or auction buy). Then Tesla can swap the upgraded wheels with the standard wheels if they chose.

The problem is that because FSD has no value to Tesla (it's just a bit they flip) they offer nothing for it on trade-in. To even get the $3K premium you are hoping for, you would need to sell elsewhere. But with Tesla giving nothing for it, it depresses the price even in the private market.

Let's face it, it was always a crazy purchase, especially at $15K. I paid only $2K for it and think that was probably too much for a product that was, back then 4 years and still counting from actually working.

But if Tesla wants to boost the value of the product for their customers, they need to stop valuing it at nothing in the trade-in market. Because Tesla itself will always be the big player in the Tesla resale market. What's worse, is that if you sell your Tesla (to anybody) then you never got a working FSD, so the loss is pretty much pure loss, unless you enjoy having it drive you on city streets while you watch carefully, ready for it to make a mistake at any time. Not relaxing.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
When I bought my car used in Aug 2023, (less than a year later it's almost half price) FSD was $15k new but I paid maybe $1k more for a car with FSD vs similar cars without FSD.
The problem is that because FSD has no value to Tesla (it's just a bit they flip) they offer nothing for it on trade-in. To even get the $3K premium you are hoping for, you would need to sell elsewhere. But with Tesla giving nothing for it, it depresses the price even in the private market...
Agreeing with these two posts - Tesla values FSD at almost nothing based on the purchase price of used cars and trade in values. The current monthly price of $100 makes so much more sense. Part of my rationale for going for the monthly price on it is that we are so far away from having real FSD worth thousands of dollars is that few people would pay it if they dropped the monthly plan.