Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan option?

Will you request the Vegan option when you order your Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 56 56.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Model S, and I assume the X (and hopefully the 3), the 'vegan' option is no additional cost but you do have to ask for it as a special item that requires talking to a person since its not in the online order form.
On the S, requesting the vegan option gets you a non-leather wrapped steering wheel. and if you had things like the premium interior upgrade, you don't get the leather upgrades.

As of a year ago, getting the non-leather steering wheel wasn't available in a heated version so if you had the winter package you'd not get that part of the winter package.

Looking forward to more color options, one of the reasons I got a second S instead of an X was the white seats (but also not wanting the falcon wing doors, and waiting for 2nd row seats to fold flat)

What cleaning materials do u guys use for cleaning the vegan seats? Is typical leather cleaner still applicable?

How well does it clean stains, say, jeans stains, pen markings, dirt, etc?
I use a diluted solution of dish soap and water, and a cloth. I've had no jean staining in 6 weeks of ownership, but have had dirt and oil. Wipes off easily.

CarnEVor?

Seriously, though, "nothing worse" than being labeled based on your car? That seems a bit short sighted.

Relatively speaking, of course. Tag suggestion is on the right track! :)

P.S. your avatar creeped me out for a split second... had to do a double take!

And actually I don't believe Tesla started or officially used the "vegan" label for the ultra white seats on Model X. If I recall correctly, it was one of the animal protection groups that made that announcement and Tesla just kept silent about it.

I think they took the best course of action. This way, they cater to those who request it without scaring off those who aren't making their buying decision for environmental reasons.

I'll probably go full cow.
I hate the idea of not using the whole animal. Seems wasteful.

Actually, no.

What's wasteful and massively environmentally destructive is to "use" any part of non-human animals in the first place. It's really been quite obvious and for a long time, but getting information turned into knowledge is, sadly, not a fast process.

The Good News: at the Annual Shareholders meeting earlier this week Elon suggested that the non-animal "Ultra White" will likely become available on the MS and the M3; it's the only way for Tesla to remain true to it's reason for existing.

Details on why can be found at these links:

Facts and Sources

Cowspiracy | Netflix

The Leather Industry

UN News - Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns

Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns
11-29-fao-livestock.jpg

4KPrint

29 November 2006 – Cattle-rearing generates more global warming greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent, than transportation, and smarter production methods, including improved animal diets to reduce enteric fermentation and consequent methane emissions, are urgently needed, according to a new United Nations report released today.

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,” senior UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) official Henning Steinfeld said. “Urgent action is required to remedy the situation.”

Cattle-rearing is also a major source of land and water degradation, according to the FAO report, Livestock’s Long Shadow–Environmental Issues and Options, of which Mr. Steinfeld is the senior author.

I want the vegan interior. I had a 2003 Toyota with leather front seats and synthetic leather rear seats. I had the car for 12 years, and the front seats (even the passenger seat which was hardly used) were in poor condition when I got rid of the car. The rear seats literally looked and felt brand new. The rear seats proved indestructible as far as scratching, distorting under heavy concentrated weight, etc. Meanwhile the front seats had torn, stretched, cracked, and discolored.

Also, I hope they do use the term "vegan" to describe the seats/interior. It's a growing trend that extends beyond food, and it ties in well with Tesla's mission to minimize environmental impact. I can see Tesla doing away with leather options entirely after a while (to stay true to their message), especially once their vegan fabrics prove their longevity.

One thing I hope they do with the seats is make the fabric perforated to minimize back sweat on hot days. I've used perforated and non-perforated leather seats. The perforated is SO much more comfortable.

Isn't the perforated seats harder to clean if u spill drinks on it? Coffee might seep through
One of the things I do is not spill drinks. ;)

In all seriousness, if you're a "spiller of drinks", it might be an issue. The perforations appear to clear their way through the air space under the seat, so I think it's cleanable without too much effort. That said, I've driven cars for over 20 years and I've spilled a drink in my seat maybe once. I have two kids, and we keep seat protectors under their boosters - but they've only spilled once or twice in 9 years. So for our family, worrying about spilled drinks is misplaced mental energy.

It's possible that this is true. Now that I think of it, only the front seats were perforated. The back seats were solid, maybe because it's a more common seating place for kids? Cup holders pretty much eliminate drink spills for adults.

where would the back seats ventilate to? front seats=on their own posts, and up off the floor.

back seats = on the "hump". I think any space under the rear seats (in a traditionally-shaped sedan) would become an "ease of manufacturing" problem.

where would the back seats ventilate to? front seats=on their own posts, and up off the floor.

back seats = on the "hump". I think any space under the rear seats (in a traditionally-shaped sedan) would become an "ease of manufacturing" problem.
I never thought about it in that way. I just figured the holes allowed more air to circulate behind me. I guess the backs of the rear seats would have ventilated into the trunk area if you think of it that way though.