Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an owner of a MS, and a fan of Tesla vehicles, so I hate to hear that there's cancellations happening. I also have to say that I was not at the rollout, have not watched any media clips, but have been reading the comments. However, it seems to me that Tesla is maybe a bit too avant-gard in designing and producing an unconventional vehicle, that happens to be powered by a superior battery and traction system.
If it weren't for the battery pack and dual motor traction system (and the 17 inch display), the MS could be compared to the late model Jag, or the Maserati Ghibli. There's quite a bit of gee-wiz but unproven technology in the MS, and now, the MX. As I just passed one year of MS ownership and 47,000 miles, I have a more objective assessment of my MS. One DU replacement (and soon to be a second one), as well as a non-retracting door handle has been the extent of my problems, but I worry about the technology over the long haul. If the touchscreen fails, so much for controlling the majority of the vehicles' functions. In 5 or 10 years, do I expect the technology to be as reliable? I don't think so. Putting a $5000 display in a used car worth $60K is far different than the same display in a more depreciated vehicle worth $30K. Will a MS be worth only $30K in 5 years. I would think so, since the battery pack will be degraded, and the 8 year, unlimited warranty doesn't cover a degrading pack.
My point is that technology for technologies sake isn't the best reason to implement. Sure, some owners say they'll just trade in their old one when the factory warranty expires, but I'm not in that position, and I want this car to last.

Now, why am I bringing this up on the MX thread?

I think that Tesla has again produced a technological marvel. I worry about the technology that has made it's way into the MX. Tesla's implementation of their gull wing doors are extremely complicated. What will happen if sensors fail on the door? Will the owner be waiting by their MX, since they may not be able to walk away with the door left open. I also am concerned about long term reliability. There has been so much in flux with the final release of the MX. Sure, QC can exercise many iterations of door opening, etc, but the only really reliable and accurate way to determine longevity is for the clock to tick away. I also worry about things that others may not. Does the mechanism work when the grease is 5 years old, has combined with dust, and maybe absorbed water? Will the battery pack degrade faster if you do tow often, particularly in mountainous and hot climates, and particularly since range degradation is not covered.

A CUV/SUV at > $100K is a serious chunk of money, even if you don't have to count your pennies. The MX is an unusual vehicle, but then again, so was the Nissan Qube (Cube?), and the Aztec. Just because the design studio has the purse strings (and the ok to do something) doesn't necessarily mean that it's a great long term strategy.

What I'd hope to see from the MX is a BEV AWD vehicle with a highly configurable payload capability and options:

1) 6 and 7 passenger seating for the soccer moms
2) Nothing behind the front seats but storage for the Bjorn Nyland's who want to carry cargo
3) Towing capacity of > 5K lbs for the trip with the jetski's or boat
4) Easy SpC access. I don't like hooking / dropping a trailer, but certainly not to SpC
5) Fold-down seats for working between options 1 and 2, on the fly, for the occasional garage sale trip (or Costco run)

A final thought that I have is still relating to the technology that is not necessary in a BEV, but adds to the wow factor of Tesla. If the warranty covers the initial years of ownership and it's a problem, Tesla takes the hit to their bottom line. When the vehicle is out of warranty, then the free-market value will prevail, and the owner takes the financial hit If the reviews show problem areas, like the DU on the MS, even if Tesla extends their warranty, there will be hits to the vehicle and it's value. If Consumer Reports, or any of the car magazines (and particularly the ICE-loving slant) start to rip into a problem area, then it could be a financial nightmare for those who don't have far-reaching or unlimited financial resources.

What I think might happen, further down the road, is that hopefully just a few Tesla vehicles that need a few expensive repairs will hit the market. Someone will step up and see how a kludge or aftermarket solution could be installed. This will exclude Supercharging capabilities, as well as likely precluding network connections including Tesla server connections, software and map updates and broadband connectivity.

Sure, those features would be sorely missed, and an entire book could be written about a limited function MS. It sort of ties in with a salvage title MS right now.

Now, back to the MX release. How reliable do you think the MX will be, both short term and long term? Falcon doors? Seat system? Sensors? Additional options?

Scotty

I think specs apply to less than 1% of Tesla Community. Especially if primary buyers are women... they wouldn't know what to make of those numbers.

Look at their reservation page: Safety, Safety, Safety.

For example: "
  • Four LATCH child seat attachments, two in each passenger row"
I have never seen a general spec page with that information on any car. You could only find that info with all ICE cars in a manual.

How cute are you*?? OMG, just like a miniature Donald or something.

*Because I refuse to take posters like this seriously. Not worth the time.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."

- - - Updated - - -

No, we've just met more than one woman and one man.

Yeah, can't give you rep again so soon. You're on a roll today!

As a retired teacher, my concerns lie not only with the crossed expectations regarding features, I'm losing sleep over the minimum financial commitment as the price of admission.
Even if Elon's tweet that there will be a less expensive option later, a comparable Model S with all the standard features on the MX, the minimum cost breaks down like this:
Fortunately, I probably won't have to make the decision until early 2016.

85 D 85,000
Pano roof 1,500 equivalent for the helicopter cockpit
Auto pilot 2,500 built in sensors on the X
90 Range 3,000
Sound 2,500 in house upgraded sound system
3rd row seats 3,000 non-option on the MX now
Delivery 1,200

Sub Total 98,700

MX Premium 5,000

Total 103,700 without any paint option

Sales Tax? 6-7,000

All in 110,000 for a MX priced like a comparable MS plus 5K, not the anticipated 75-85 K all in expected on reservation date.

In any case, feature or finance, the visceral feeling is like this... we've all been dating the MX for some time now. We've just heard the "Marry me now for who I am, not who you want me to be."

Anyone else have a similar feeling the week before the wedding?!?

yes!

I think you could fit a bike upright behind and perpindicular to the seats as there is a lot of height there
Model-X-Cargo-2.jpg
[

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443824740.787744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443824757.945185.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443824767.416636.jpg

These are the seat up and seat down dimensions for our 2006 Highlander hybrid, just for comparison sake. It appears that the third row folded down depth is significantly less than the model X. The seat down distance is about 10 inches to 12 inches more than the model X. And the third row up cargo area appears to be approximately the same.

It may be time to split out these dimension comments to their own thread, or to rename this thread.

In general its pretty hard to put a bike upright in the back of SUVs. Bike's are actually taller than you think they are. Generally they have to lay flat.

Yeah i can't in mine. I'm more referring to the space straight behind the middle row, the bike in sideways (loaded and unloaded through the Falcon doors). Folded seats take up a lot of room as they raise the floor height - obviously not an issue with a Model X

I too remain on the fence with our MX reservation. Tesla has made this decision more difficult than it had to be. For my purposes, Tesla has continually over-promised and under-delivered.

My goal is for our next car to be a BEV. I would prefer it to be the MX (after more than two years of waiting for information and still no idea as to even a projected delivery date). Tesla communication has been extremely problematic. Even after the talk about configuration becoming available and the MX “launch,” I know of no complete, official specs.

The MX was billed as a utility vehicle, but utility has been compromised. I am concerned about technological solutions in search of problems. The falcon wing doors and the automatic door opening are cool, but of no interest to me. Tesla told us that the second row of seats would fold, but they don’t (and I don’t know when or if they will). I remain concerned about the high windshield (and its opacity, tint control, and glare, and the adequacy of the sun visors). As far as I can tell, the MX is still not a luxury car. There are many proven amenities and details that Tesla has not made available. I hope that this technological adventure will be as reliable as my Lexus.

I certainly will not buy another car without a plug. I am starting to reconsider the MS, also the 2016 Leaf. I am also considering the Volvo XC90 T8. My goal is to have two BEVs (and an all-electric garage). There are various definitions of that goal, some more purist than others. Consistent with kbeckley’s observation, I will not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I have moved toward my goal as the market has allowed (a 2010 Lexus RX450h (non-plugin hybrid) and a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (plug-in hybrid)). The Ford and the Volvo would allow me to do virtually all of my local driving on solar electric, but I would still be saddled with an ICE.

I continue to scrounge for information and evaluate as data become available. My thanks to the many knowledgeable people who contribute to TMC. I was sorry to see a number of those people cancel their reservations. I empathize with them. I hope that I do not have reach the same conclusion as they did.

In general its pretty hard to put a bike upright in the back of SUVs. Bike's are actually taller than you think they are. Generally they have to lay flat.

I don't agree with that. You just have to take off the front wheel and maybe drop the seatpost. The constraining dimension is really the length of the bike, which is why the short cargo area of the X is a non-starter for me, unless/until they do something about those second row seats.

I don't agree with that. You just have to take off the front wheel and maybe drop the seatpost. The constraining dimension is really the length of the bike, which is why the short cargo area of the X is a non-starter for me, unless/until they do something about those second row seats.
my daughter fits a bike in her Honda Jazz (Fit) and that is 58 inches of cargo space with seats folded

DAY THREE COGITATIONS

A very interesting 194 posts in this thread. Here are some new ideas to bring to the fore:

The very first thing I did when I picked up my latest Crew Cab Long Bed (and I mean as soon as I got it into my driveway), was to break out some T-40 bits and extract its rear seat-complex. And those seat pieces have sat in one of my connexes ever since. Now, esp. after this on-line kerfuffle, those fancy seat pillar-posts are going to get a very, very careful look as the first thing I do to the first X I see.

Now, I am fully aware that very few of you would be comfortable driving around w/o that second row of seats, but very few of you would be comfortable with an awful lot of how I live my life.....

Cheers!

This is quite a development. But totally understandable. The non-foldable second-row seats struck me as a problem the moment I heard about them. It just doesn't make sense. I would love to know if the designers under Elon fought him on this, and if he's the one who insisted they ship the way they were revealed this week.

I also hope they'll come out with truly folding chairs int he second row. I used to own a really nice SUV and I utilized the folding second row CONSTANTLY for boxes, furniture, lawnmowers, you name it went into that thing. It was truly a utility vehicle. The Model X currently feels like a fancy limo in a way, with an unnecessarily limited set of uses.

IMHO, Elon imposes his own use cases on the vehicles. I don't know him at all, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would carry a dirty lawn mover in the back of his X. He was going for elegance and beautiful design with the X seating configurations.

However, he's also a practical man. There is a huge order book right now. If enough of you cancel and let TSLA know it's because they don't offer a folding 2nd row seat now, then I'm sure Elon and company will offer this option in the future. It only makes sense to broaden the product appeal.

It just won't be a beautiful sculpted seat, since the seat back will have to be flat and probably carpeted like my boring old ML 320 back-up ICE SUV.

I also think TSLA should design a pick-up truck prototype with a double cab if they haven't already. Now that would have utility!! :cool:

What I don't understand is that the Model X is about half an inch longer than the QX60, is almost five inches wider than the Infiniti QX60, and is only about 4 inches shorter than the QX60. And yet the QX60 feels bigger, more comfortable for adults in the third row, and much higher off the ground for better visibility than the Model X. Why is that?

Because it has a drag coefficient of 0.24. All of the alternative vehicles being suggested are large, boxy cars with that use a lot of fuel. EVs are range-limited, so they have to cut something to hit their range goals, and what they cut is vertical size.

I would have gladly sacrificed a little drag coefficient and subsequent minor loss of range in order to have the interior space and overall height of a QX60. For me, the Model X is just too short to be useful. Calling it an SUV is not accurate, as it's really more of a CUV... if that. Seems like a slightly bigger Model S with apparently less horizontal interior space! But since my wife doesn't haul beds, wood, bicycles, and all the other stuff I see referenced on this thread, she's keeping her reservation for now. But she's also on the fence pending more information and disclosures from Tesla.

I too remain on the fence with our MX reservation. Tesla has made this decision more difficult than it had to be. For my purposes, Tesla has continually over-promised and under-delivered.

My goal is for our next car to be a BEV. I would prefer it to be the MX (after more than two years of waiting for information and still no idea as to even a projected delivery date). Tesla communication has been extremely problematic. Even after the talk about configuration becoming available and the MX “launch,” I know of no complete, official specs.

The MX was billed as a utility vehicle, but utility has been compromised. I am concerned about technological solutions in search of problems. The falcon wing doors and the automatic door opening are cool, but of no interest to me. Tesla told us that the second row of seats would fold, but they don’t (and I don’t know when or if they will). I remain concerned about the high windshield (and its opacity, tint control, and glare, and the adequacy of the sun visors). As far as I can tell, the MX is still not a luxury car. There are many proven amenities and details that Tesla has not made available. I hope that this technological adventure will be as reliable as my Lexus.

I certainly will not buy another car without a plug. I am starting to reconsider the MS, also the 2016 Leaf. I am also considering the Volvo XC90 T8. My goal is to have two BEVs (and an all-electric garage). There are various definitions of that goal, some more purist than others. Consistent with kbeckley’s observation, I will not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I have moved toward my goal as the market has allowed (a 2010 Lexus RX450h (non-plugin hybrid) and a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (plug-in hybrid)). The Ford and the Volvo would allow me to do virtually all of my local driving on solar electric, but I would still be saddled with an ICE.

I continue to scrounge for information and evaluate as data become available. My thanks to the many knowledgeable people who contribute to TMC. I was sorry to see a number of those people cancel their reservations. I empathize with them. I hope that I do not have reach the same conclusion as they did.
My goal too, 2 bev's in the garage. I do not want a hybrid and I want at least 200 miles of range, not sure I'm willing to pay over 100k. I do not need a big SUV as I can tow a small trailer once a month, I feel fortunate to have a Model S to keep me going until I can fulfill my dream. At some point we will see and drive a Model X at the showroom and then I can decide.

If I had a Sig X reservation, I'd be canceling now. Folding rear-seats are a must-have for me, too.

I completely understand that many people don't care about folding seats; and like OP I am honestly happy for them. And I can see some reasons why Tesla may have gone with one configuration before another to get the car out; I'm not upset with Tesla for offering non-folding seats, at least at first. (On the other hand, after being told they were coming, putting down serious money and then waiting for a few years, I don't think it's hard to see why some are a little disappointed and it hurts to cancel).

Not that it really matters, but as an aside: What I don't understand is people that sound shocked that some of us really do haul stuff in our cars. Even expensive cars. The price of the car doesn't matter, it's still the car I'm driving, and if I have to haul something I'm going to use it. It's a rare week where I don't fold down the rear seat of our Model S - which happens to be able to haul much longer stuff than the X can. (Yeah, yeah, it depends on the shape of the cargo, how many passengers you have, etc). I carry stuff a lot more than I carry passengers. I don't have any problem believing that some people don't carry a lot of cargo; why do some have trouble believing that others do? It seems odd, but is of no real consequence.​

Fortunately I don't have a Sig reservation, so I'm going to hold on to mine; and likely defer when it comes up. Maybe that will give me as long as a year to wait and see what happens. Maybe Tesla will offer a folding seat (they likely wouldn't say now if they were working on it, as they don't want everybody to hold off and wait for it). Maybe my needs will change - for example, if our parents get to where they have to sell their cars, having a vehicle with really easy access for passengers with mobility issues may suddenly become a priority. We shall see.

(I already have two Teslas, so it might be easier for me to remain serene as I wait for something that fits my needs better).

Last edited:
I love the breadth of opinion on TMC. Everyone really does have their own set of criteria. My checklist: is XC90 electric? Nope? Ancient technology, off list.

I am also considering an XC90 T8, and it is electric like a Chevy Volt (or more realistically, a plug-in Ford CMax) is electric. That is it can go about 20 +/- miles on electricity alone. Gas drives the front tires and electric drives the rear. If you are on a long trip, you have a front wheel drive SUV, around town you have a rear wheel drive electric SUV. In the snow or off-road, you are all of the above.