Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little off topic, but I wanted to say that I have a 2016 Tesla 75D and a 2017 Chevy Bolt.

In 9 months of ownership, I've taken the Bolt to a service center exactly once - and that was for a free routine tire rotation. No other issues at all.

In my first 9 months of Tesla ownership, I took the car to the service center 3 times - none of which because the primary need was a rotation.

I love Tesla and support their mission, but I'm also a consumer who looks for the best EV deal.

Android Auto is superb. True one pedal driving is outstanding. The higher ride makes getting in and out of the car very easy. I like that the paint doesn't scratch/chip so easily. And Chevy was very modest about the actual range (rated at 238 miles, but I've gotten 270 very easily numerous times - something my Tesla, which usually fails to even meet rated range in my experience, has never once been capable of).

If my Bolt had autopilot I'd probably almost never drive the Tesla.

I am extremely excited to see what some of the competition does over the next few years. I'll probably be trading my Tesla for a competitor if they don't get these ridiculous quality issues under control before then.

This is why I'm driving a Bolt also, haven't even been to the dealer for anything since picking up the car.a year ago. Love it, for all the reasons you listed. I have a reservation for the Model 3, but I'm a late reservation. AP is no big deal to me, I have no traffic during my commute, and i like to drive my car. Honestly, not sure I'd want AP, considering how buggy and limited it is. I'm hoping Tesla gets their act together regarding QC, service, and parts. By the time i get my invitation to configure the 3, the Kona EV will probably be available, and will most likely have better quality than the 3. The excuse that Tesla is a new company is getting old, so is the bad joke about every Tesla future release being on "Elon time".

Reactions: Mattzilla
I wouldn’t know since I am awaiting my first Tesla, but from experience driving them, I think whether or not this works well depends largely on the shape of your driveway relative to the garage, interference, garage door opener signal distance, and speed at which you leave or enter the vicinity of your garage.

dont think so. i mean if ur garage remote works then there's no reason why the homelink feature wont work the same way.

Reactions: Radonculous
dont think so. i mean if ur garage remote works then there's no reason why the homelink feature wont work the same way.
The reason for that doesn't just have to do with the garage door signal, but GPS proximity as well. And also because close/open are typically triggered by the same command, so if your garage is already open as you come home, your Tesla doesn't know that and it'll close the garage on approach.

A little off topic, but I wanted to say that I have a 2016 Tesla 75D and a 2017 Chevy Bolt.

In 9 months of ownership, I've taken the Bolt to a service center exactly once - and that was for a free routine tire rotation. No other issues at all.

In my first 9 months of Tesla ownership, I took the car to the service center 3 times - none of which because the primary need was a rotation.

I love Tesla and support their mission, but I'm also a consumer who looks for the best EV deal.

Android Auto is superb. True one pedal driving is outstanding. The higher ride makes getting in and out of the car very easy. I like that the paint doesn't scratch/chip so easily. And Chevy was very modest about the actual range (rated at 238 miles, but I've gotten 270 very easily numerous times - something my Tesla, which usually fails to even meet rated range in my experience, has never once been capable of).

I am extremely excited to see what some of the competition does over the next few years. I'll probably be trading my Tesla for a competitor if they don't get these ridiculous quality issues under control before then.

While I agree the Bolt is a good capable car, my son has one, it has had to go in for service 3-4 times. This last time they accidentally scratched the paint and he will have to have that repaired as well. CCS charging infrastructure is not available for out of town driving and barely available for in town driving. Also, it takes much longer to recharge. So... while I like the car too, they can also have issues.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum and Nilnoc
The reason for that doesn't just have to do with the garage door signal, but GPS proximity as well. And also because close/open are typically triggered by the same command, so if your garage is already open as you come home, your Tesla doesn't know that and it'll close the garage on approach.

This is correct. I've programmed garage door openers for smart homes. Without an additional sensor/mechanism for the door state itself there is no way of knowing. The vast majority of openers will only accept one command. Only recently do openers come equipped with communication protocols that show position state.

Right now, there's no consensus on that protocol either. Additionally, many of the manufacturers won't open up their protocol info to third parties .

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus

Nice summary. Apart from not having AP and any kind of practical distance charging network, the range you’ve gotten is impressive. This is exactly why as a shareholder I remain concerned.

Nobody will catch Tesla’s infrastructure lead for a few years, but consumers will gravitate toward lower price, quality, and at least decent non-flaky driver assist features. Tesla is vulnerable in all 3 areas. The flashiest of which being driver assist. Price is malleable (used Teslas will be quite competitive) at least, and quality will be what it will be, but the news is made mostly with features.

The next 2 years will tell the story.

Reactions: Mattzilla
This is why I'm driving a Bolt also, haven't even been to the dealer for anything since picking up the car.a year ago. Love it, for all the reasons you listed. I have a reservation for the Model 3, but I'm a late reservation. AP is no big deal to me, I have no traffic during my commute, and i like to drive my car. Honestly, not sure I'd want AP, considering how buggy and limited it is. I'm hoping Tesla gets their act together regarding QC, service, and parts. By the time i get my invitation to configure the 3, the Kona EV will probably be available, and will most likely have better quality than the 3. The excuse that Tesla is a new company is getting old, so is the bad joke about every Tesla future release being on "Elon time".

Exactly. How long are people going to say these QA issues are because Tesla is such a young company? Sure, some of the advanced features I can certainly see some bugs needing worked out. But the thing is, that’s not all the issues people are seeing. Some of the workmanship just seems flat out sub standard whether you’ve been making cars for 10 yrs or 200yrs from the pictures I’ve seen.

Disclaimer- I am not an owner, just EV enthusiast.

I realize that this is a piling on OP with a few unhappy owners plus several non-owners (who why they opine as experts despite lack of first hand knowledge escapes me).

Your bolt may work for you but it pales in comparison to the 3 (and absolutely the S & x ). My son received his in March and it’s fit-finish was superb, drives impeccably and he has had no service issues.

FWIW: My 26 month, 42k X had some birthing issues (3xxx VIN) but outside of changing tires the vehicle has worked like a Swiss watch over last 24 months.

I’ve owned Porches, Mercedes, BMW (and my wife had a Lexus) and from my viewpoint, there truly isn’t another vehicle in the market that matches the X.

I have enough confidence in the product/company that I’m picking up my second one next week.

Ehhhhh... the Bolt is always someone's second car. It wouldn't work as someones primary and only car if they ever want to cross the state or leave it.

Sex appeal matters as well. Chevy tried to lure me with ridiculous private offers to take a Bolt in 2017 - I declined. BMW tried to lure me with half priced i3s this year but I didn't want a cockroach with bicycle wheels. It would be just one more thing to deal with when the 3 arrives.

A year after getting my Model X, Tesla uncorked it for free on their time and dime to increase my 0-60 by 1 second. Hooked me up with a Model S loaner while they did the work.

I'm sure Tesla will work through the issues eventually.

The 'chance' to run into fixable issues is well worth it to posess the automobile equivalent of the hottest craziest woman on the planet.

Well good for you. I have had no luck getting Tesla loaner this year. First time they gave me an enterprise. Just this week I was supposed to bring in my car. They called me in the morning informing me they have no loaner and no enterprise either. So we rescheduled to next week. As long as they have no loaner for me I’ll keep rescheduling. It’s our primary car and It fits 3 car seats.

Ask someone who’s had accident and had to wait 6 months or more to get the car back. They would never consider Tesla to be their primary cars.

The one thing you implied, but did not specifically mention is "owner variance". I would almost be willing to say that if you have a Tesla that is "perfect", or has "never had an issue" it is as much perception as it is reality. I have 2 friends with Models Ss that both claim they have never had an issue and all I have to do is walk around their cars and ride in them for a mile and I can find a dozen. Some people don't notice as much as others, or use all the features (TBH if FM radio didn't work I would have no idea for example). I am a "high maintenance owner" of any car I buy and have found many, many things wrong with both of mine and continue to have things fixed (just recently had center screen replaced due to yellowing on my S).
Indeed about the variance...

And, there are also folks like the person I pointed out at How reliable is your Model S? who asserted his Model S was "100% reliable" and "It terms or reliability the Model S is as good as it gets IMHO." That's after being on their 8th drive unit!

That's AWFUL, in my book.

Well good for you. I have had no luck getting Tesla loaner this year. First time they gave me an enterprise. Just this week I was supposed to bring in my car. They called me in the morning informing me they have no loaner and no enterprise either. So we rescheduled to next week. As long as they have no loaner for me I’ll keep rescheduling. It’s our primary car and It fits 3 car seats.

Ask someone who’s had accident and had to wait 6 months or more to get the car back. They would never consider Tesla to be their primary cars.

We owned Model S for six years as our only car. Yep. We had an accident. Took a whole week to get the parts and another to put them on. $15K, the whole front end of the car ripped off. Oh, and we had a loaner. Convinced us of Tesla superiority!

I would never consider buying any other car than Tesla.

Indeed about the variance...

And, there are also folks like the person I pointed out at How reliable is your Model S? who asserted his Model S was "100% reliable" and "It terms or reliability the Model S is as good as it gets IMHO." That's after being on their 8th drive unit!

That's AWFUL, in my book.

Let me put it this way... nothing is perfect. If we were to liken it to having a life partner, friend, etc, the positives must outweigh the negatives for you to "feel" it is worth it. You can study others successes and pitfalls to try to get a "feel" for it but there is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. Someone or something can give you complete thrill and enjoyment and will have some downers. Those downers may not be deal breakers if the highs are many and the negatives are slight or infrequent. Everyone's goal posts are positioned differently. Anyway... come on, just get one and see the thrill you have been missing! :) o_OA Tesla that is!

Sorry to hear about the “disappointment” will stay tuned for updates.
Im new to forum as I am expecting delivery first of the week on 2018 model x used as a dealer service car slightly used 2900 miles never registered yet.

After reading threads related to “Very disappointing first week” I am a little fearful of what I might get. When I test drove the model x at dealership for a day - I admit - the most amazing car I have ever driven, so I wanted one despite high price. So they looked up current inventory and offered me 4600.00 adjustment to invoice for having the 2900 miles on it with most of the features I wanted.
That’s ok unless it has a lot of problems then the adjustment doesn’t mean much. Here’s the kicker.
In this state for lemon law to be in affect “ it must be brand new”. Does 2900 miles qualify as brand new if never been registered ? If anyone has any insight with this or legal experience, would appreciate your insight.
Hoping for amazing - but a little concerned now. Appreciate any feedback. Thx

Sorry to hear about the “disappointment” will stay tuned for updates.
Im new to forum as I am expecting delivery first of the week on 2018 model x used as a dealer service car slightly used 2900 miles never registered yet.

After reading threads related to “Very disappointing first week” I am a little fearful of what I might get. When I test drove the model x at dealership for a day - I admit - the most amazing car I have ever driven, so I wanted one despite high price. So they looked up current inventory and offered me 4600.00 adjustment to invoice for having the 2900 miles on it with most of the features I wanted.
That’s ok unless it has a lot of problems then the adjustment doesn’t mean much. Here’s the kicker.
In this state for lemon law to be in affect “ it must be brand new”. Does 2900 miles qualify as brand new if never been registered ? If anyone has any insight with this or legal experience, would appreciate your insight.
Hoping for amazing - but a little concerned now. Appreciate any feedback. Thx

Tesla has a very high customer satisfaction rating. Just Google it!

I have a late 2016 X. These sort of quality issues are endemic to the X, and they are frankly inexcusable at this price point -- even more-so this far into builds. I have seats that are falling apart at the seams, exterior trim (flashing pieces) falling off, interior paint rubbed off at falcon door closing point, the chrome around windows sticks out wonky, interior storage sliding panel is broken, etc. On top of this, Tesla has made getting service and loaners so onerous (who knows how long they'll have your car if you drop it off!) that I'm more inclined to say "**** it" and just pray for an EV competitor to step up. It's disheartening for sure.

OMG wife and I had the EXACT same conversation almost word for word. Our 2016 MX is basically a lemon. If Tesla customers (Elon cult members) were not so loyal they’d be out of business.

the positives must outweigh the negatives for you to "feel" it is worth it. You can study others successes and pitfalls to try to get a "feel" for it but there is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. Someone or something can give you complete thrill and enjoyment and will have some downers.
come on, just get one and see the thrill you have been missing! :) o_OA Tesla that is!
For me personally, I would NEVER buy or lease a Model X. I have no use for such a class of vehicle. In the almost the same way the BMW X6 is a styling fail, I feel the X is ugly. No thanks. The high price doesn't help either.

Also, unless I have a very good reason to I avoid vehicles w/below average reliability ratings and prefer closer to much better than average. Model X is dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars. From the indications here, CR, Edmunds and from what a coworker observed from taking his 3 into the service center (has been there for over a week now), the X is a reliability disaster. He also observed "cult of Elon" while there w/an X that showed up for repairs.

As for the S, it's way too expensive to buy or lease and far more than I want to spend. Reliability is a bit spotty and it looks like can become a money pit once out of warranty. It's also larger than I'd like. I don't think it'd fit in my garage unless I removed some junk out of the front of my garage.

(FWIW, I can easily afford to buy loaded X or S outright w/cash but I don't blow that kind of $ on cars, not even close.)

I've already publicly stated that I will not put in deposit $ for a 3 until they've been in real customer hands for at least 6-12 months, to see how reliability is. So far, the signs are not good. And yes, I know that means I'll be waiting a long time or it may be never. That's fine. I'd only want to start from the standard range version and not start from $49K. I do NOT want the glass roof nor do I want to pay for the larger battery. And, only the touchscreen and lack of even an optional HUD may be enough to be a dealbreaker.

My job and other things in life already keep me very busy. I have little time to keep taking cars in for repairs. Fortunately, what I have has been pretty reliable. If I wanted to buy unreliable, I can easily save a ton of $ and buy a MUCH cheaper unreliable vehicle.

My basis of comparison is having formerly been very active on Priuschat and having observed problem reports from Gen 3 (model year 2010) Prius, 2012 Prius v wagon, Prius c and PiP after launch. I've also been acttive on mynissanleaf since mid-2011 but I'll admit I missed the 1st 6 or 7 months of its life. And, this is besides looking at reliability ratings at various places (e.g. CR) and having been on other car forums for cars I've owned.

Last edited:
I have to agree that I prefer the looks of the S or the 3. Yes the X had shown a few more issues but the customer satisfaction rating is still high and is listed in the top 10 of most satisfying vehicles to use. I do like that the X is SUV. I am waiting for a used M3 or whatever is equal or better on the market in the future by whatever manufacturer to add to my S. I personally wish for a great long range electric 4 door truck to be produced.

Last edited: