TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

very errant trip meters

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rapoport3a, Jan 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Before 7.0 or 7.1, the trip meters behaved themselves, incrementing by an annoying 0.2 km. But at least they were in sync.

After one of the recent updates, they're seriously out of it. One piece of evidence is the photo here. Note the meters for "since last charge" and "current trip": same distance (a coincidence…) but with "avg energy" figures that aren't even close.

It's worse than that. On the trip illustrated, distances A and B seem 114.8 km apart. Over the course of the trip, that difference varied enormously. The distance meter "sticks" irregularly in trip A and B and the other two (but not at the same time), then "skips" to the next number, which may be a few kilometres (or part) higher, certainly not 0.1 or 0.2.

That problem occurs mostly at higher speeds. At lower speeds, the changes are more in sync with less sticking and skipping, but not correct sometimes even then. The problem has also been noted on this forum by people driving in miles.

I'd like confirmation of this from other km drivers, and would like it even more if you'd send in a request to have this fixed (Contact | Tesla Motors). One request will be ignored; we need many.

I depend on these figures for various calculations, as others will, I'm sure. It's incredible that they haven't been able to get this right.

Attached Files:

2. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

Echoing this same issue. It is quite annoying making the trip meter quite less useful. Every morning, I start the car charged and with one single trip. So the "Since last charge" and "Current Trip" numbers should be theoretically identical. But on the highway, sometimes it differs so much that it basically renders itself useless. I have observed some out-of-whack numbers like Avg Energy 156wh/km and 212wh/km, although they do end up somewhat close after some local driving. I don't know what algorithm is behind.

3. Gunnar Barghorn

#3 Gunnar Barghorn, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    https://vimeo.com/153250523
    Here is how it looks like on a german autobahn...
    My SeC knows about, but has no idea why it happens, or what to do. They set there hope on one of the next FW-updates.
    In germany are many drivers who have this problem.

4. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

we all have the same issue....push the voice command and say bug report. If we don't say anything they will not fix it.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

I emailed servicehelpna recently about a different topic, mentioned that I had reported it numerous times with the bug report feature, and they basically told me that nobody pays any attention to those and that I should email them the details instead. Which is quite unfortunate because the bug-report is infinitely easier and more accurate.

6. Tanchico

Tanchico Member

I've noticed the same problem, often to an extreme since November and I've been through 3 updates now with no change. Reported to my local SC with a description of the problem outlining the many symptoms and some videos. Apparently they were able to find some internal notes about it being a known firmware bug and forwarded my observations to the engineering group. Who knows at this point what attention it will get. Maybe we can hope that one their developers is having similar issues.

7. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

8. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Not sure whether the most recent FW update (2.10.71) has fixed this. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Anyone else?

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I only noticed this yesterday for the first time. I saw the 2 numbers diverge as much as 4km while I was driving. Then one number would sit still for several minutes while the other one caught up. Very strange indeed.

10. NCC-1701

NCC-1701 New Member

This is not fixed in 2.10.71. Last week I had 157km in 7 minutes! I hered from an European Manager that they have fixed the problem but they don't know when the next updtae comes OTA.

11. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

So which number is correct? Top set or bottom set?

12. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

It's largely fixed in 2.12.22 of 7.1, But not quite. They're obviously calculating in miles and accumulating roundoff error…

13. Tanchico

Tanchico Member

Haven't seen this since last Friday, updated to 2.12.45.

I had been seeing this daily since last November, sometimes to an extreme. It was rare to finish a commute without the trip odometers freezing for up to 5 or even 10 km and large Wh/km discrepancies between current trip and trip since last charge when they both started at zero.

So far so good but I'm a skeptic so I'll see what happens over the next week or so.

14. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

15. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

It's not completely fixed, as I said. At high speeds it looks okay for a while, then the odo skips. Have someone watch it constantly while someone else drives.

16. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

You said it's not fixed in 2.12.22 and at least two of us think it seems to be fixed in 2.12.45. Let us know how it looks when you get the latest.

17. Gunnar Barghorn

My SeC told me yesterday that 2.12.45 is only for non AP-cars and doesn't fix the problem. But in the german forum are some who tell it would.

18. Tanchico

Tanchico Member

I would experience this issue so frequently it's hard to imagine that 2.12.45 didn't address it at least to some extent. I've gone almost a week without any sign of trouble. I had been seeing this happen on almost any trip at almost any speed.

This morning I have notice of another update. I'm so frustrated with their poor regression testing I'm not installing it until I know if the problem's not gone. Right now my car's working fine, I simply don't need any more broken features new or old. This is not the first time they've introduced bugs for functionality that had been working without problems Too many recent examples

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I started another thread on this in early-January:

Trip meters not updating in 0.1 increments

The latest craziness I saw is drastically different energy consumption numbers (Wh/mi) between Trip Meter A and Current Trip, while both have identical distance:

IMG_0489.jpg