Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very High Electric Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mbhforum Do you really need to preheat every weekday for 30 minutes? As you can see from @martinicus 's graph, it can cause quite a spike in energy use. When I've needed to to preheat my car, I only need it on for 5 to 10 minutes (if that) and it gets nauseatingly hot in just those few minutes. Most of the time, I just end up using the heated seats instead.

Nope, I disabled this. It was configured through my Smartthings automation to turn on everyday at 6;45am and depending on when I would leave, it would run for 30 minutes (which I believe is the max).

1500 miles * 0.45 kWh/mile = 675 kWh. Explains a significant part of the increase. I'd get a power meter to plug between the wall outlet and any device to figure out how much the vinyl related machinery uses, but I guess the Tesla's the main cause.

Luckily you paid $0 in gas for the Tesla :)

this...isn't the math pretty straightforward? Add in vampire loss, wall loss and you've determined about 60-70% of the delta over last year. The wife's business, and other lifestyle changes (staying home more because of the frigid winter) and there's your difference.

The cost of that 600-700 kwh of electricity is what...about $65?

Huh? The lowest electric rates in the USA are about 9 cents per KWh but you are quoting 5 cents.

I live in Seattle. Under 7 cents/kWh. It apparently increased on Jan 1st (from 5.x cents). I had solar added to my roof last summer and have not received a bill since, so my estimate was based on prior bills and current usage as per my solar monitor.

Last edited:
this...isn't the math pretty straightforward? Add in vampire loss, wall loss and you've determined about 60-70% of the delta over last year. The wife's business, and other lifestyle changes (staying home more because of the frigid winter) and there's your difference.

The cost of that 600-700 kwh of electricity is what...about $65?

Here in NY, double.

January 21st to March 18th 2016 1098kwh $202.62
January 22nd to March 23rd 2017 2250kwh $423.90

I'll drop in a link for Neurio too - pretty similar to Sense: Neurio - Home Energy Monitor

Here's a screenshot from yesterday. Charging in the middle of the night, a spike when preheating the car, and a cloudless spring solar day :cool:
View attachment 219567

Thanks. I like the fact Neurio is available from Amazon and is a little more established. Does it work well for you? I'd probably hire an electrician to come over and do it since I don't want to mess around.

I have a S85 and a S60 and they get driven approx 1500 miles a month; I used 650KWh ($90) last month.

Yeah, so this is basically my point that my electric usage is DOUBLE what it was the previous year. Half of that was due to my car under normal circumstances. The question is about the other half, how much vampire drain caused? I have disabled my API polling, my pre-heating in the mornings and will also schedule charging in the middle of the night, although I am not sure that helps me at all, but I figured it can't hurt.

My wife's business I am sure is generating more electricity as she has the heat press, the cricuit, lights always on in that office (I just swapped to LED bulbs last week). Plus my daughter is now using her iPad a lot now, so we are charging that and I feel like we've been home more. I also should mention last year there was a week we were away and this year we didn't have the house vacant. We also didn't have the playroom downstairs built yet. So this could very well be a combination of factors.

I just measured January/Feb 2016 to JanuaryFeb 2017 and I used 120 kwh more this year before I even got the Tesla.

Last edited:

My wife's business I am sure is generating more electricity as she has the heat press, the cricuit, lights always on in that office (I just swapped to LED bulbs last week). Plus my daughter is now using her iPad a lot now, so we are charging that and I feel like we've been home more. I also should mention last year there was a week we were away and this year we didn't have the house vacant. We also didn't have the playroom downstairs built yet. So this could very well be a combination of factors.

I just measured January/Feb 2016 to JanuaryFeb 2017 and I used 120 kwh more this year before I even got the Tesla.

The lower than normal usage last year is a part of it.
When your anyone is home, other energy costs may also go up. Is you hot water electric?
Opening and closing the doors, fridge, snacks in the microwave, etc. The iPad will pale inomparison to any of these.

If the heat press is a 110V plug, a very easy and cheap first option is to get a Kill-A-Watt meter.
It plugs into the wall, then you plug the heat press into it.
It will give you the instant use, as well as track the usage for as long as it is plugged in. Leave it for a full weak and see how it adds up, or doesn't.

You're getting tripped up on scale for these energy users. Here's some context to help that. These are the instantaneous loads for each of the things you described:

Preheating: 6000w
Heat press: 1000w
Furnace blower: 600w
Incandescent lighting: 180w
Cricut, while cutting: 65w
LED lighting: 21W
iPad: 15w

Obviously those are peaks but it will give you some sense of scale. If you were preheating each day that was a substantial part of your energy usage, easily 50+ kWh in a month. Same for staying home more than before. Same for running the heat press extra hours when it's not being used. Don't worry about the iPad, and you will hardly notice the lighting but it will add up. If you haven't done LED lighting in the whole house it's probably time, it's gotten good and with your energy pricing the payback period should be around 3 years.

Thanks. I like the fact Neurio is available from Amazon and is a little more established. Does it work well for you? I'd probably hire an electrician to come over and do it since I don't want to mess around.

Yea it works well, the neurio app and website are simple and clean. Will give you a push if your "always on" power is higher than normal. I did the installation myself, but if you don't want to mess around inside your panel it would be quick for an electrician to do. The sensor's controller needs to be wired into one of your circuits to power itself. It then connects to your wifi, you configure it with a local website. I emailed them recently about appliance detection and this was their response. For me it's not critical, I can easily see my Tesla charge amount from 2 AM - 6 AM. Getting the "always on" power down any more would probably mean unplugging things like routers and cable boxes and such.

Appliance detection is in early stages at the moment and best suited for early adopters. If you’re into new tech and trying it out while it’s still learning, then yes upgrade now. If this doesn’t sound like you, then you may want to wait a bit longer. You can upgrade at any time (which is why we don’t put sales pressure on people to upgrade). Appliance detection is currently limited to appliances over 400W, and is focused on a list of 8 common devices (oven, stove, AC, microwave, kettle, toaster, heater, dryer).

If you’d like to upgrade the fee is $70 USD (sent via PayPal invoice). Let us know if you’d like to proceed or wait until later.​

One other nice point if you're a techy, it sounds like if you were pinging your car you might appreciate this as well, you can get the local IP of the device and ping it directly for a JSON response with the live stats. So if the company was to close shop in the future and take down the cloud services, you could rig up your own monitoring system and feed it into whatever. I can't vouch for how established they are or how the start-up is doing, they seem to be pretty quiet.

Reactions: nwdiver
450 Wh/mi would be a really high average energy usage. I average around 290 Wh/mi in my P85. Some will have a little less. Most will have a little more. But unlikely to be THAT much more.

you're also in Virginia where it's currently 61 and you can go golfing, while he's in the northeast (Long Island) where it is currenlty 46 and we've been able to skate on our pools for the most of the past 2 months :)

... will also schedule charging in the middle of the night, although I am not sure that helps me at all, but I figured it can't hurt.

For maximum effect, schedule the car to finish charging just before you use it in the morning. In cold temperatures, the battery pack will warm itself. Thus consuming energy. But charging also warms the battery pack, so you want to use that side effect to your benefit. If you charge in the middle of the night, then some or all of that heat in the battery pack is lost to the garage.

I live in Seattle. Under 7 cents/kWh. It apparently increased on Jan 1st (from 5.x cents). I had solar added to my roof last summer and have not received a bill since, so my estimate was based on prior bills and current usage as per my solar monitor.

I'm in Seattle too. While we did have 5.96 cent rates in 2016, that is only for the first 10 KWh per day in the summer and 16 KWh in the winter, After that, the rates are 12.57 cents. Given that basically every house uses up the base rate just in being a house, all Tesla charging occurs at 12.57 cents per KWh

So, you say you use 1,000 KWh a month and have $50 bills, but with SCL 1 MWh a month is $112 in the Summer and $100 in the winter, or double what you quoted.

Just trying to keep the data straight so people don't wonder why they don't have $50 bills. Nobody has $50 biils with a MWh of usage.

SCL is supposedly prototyping a EV charging program which would be nice because 13 cents per KWh is a bit steep if they are trying to encourage EV equipage.