Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration at 3-4 mph at the end of regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Same vibration with Range Mode OFF here since 2.5.21. First time it happened I thought one motor was "about to stall", like it can happen with ICE+manual transmission.
No problem at all with Range Mode ON.

Christian

Yes, I thought the same and almost reverted back to trying to put
the clutch in. In my MS, I feel it is coming from the front. I had
range mode enabled at rhe time..

Happens every time I coast to a stop at about 4mph. Lasts a second or so and stops below 3mph. Range Mode is off. I've experienced this a few times in the past, before the last update, but couldn't duplicate on demand. Now it's very consistent, but requires coasting to a stop at least from some speed, maybe 20-30mph.

Count me in as well. Definite low speed shudder between 4 and 3 mph when coasting to a stop. Even a light touch on the accelerator peddle is enough to suppress the shudder, as does a light touch to the brakes. I am on 2.5.36. Can't say that I noticed it on 2.5.21.

I'll also add that I cannot get the shudder to happen if I'm on "low" regeneration or in range mode.
Only with standard regeneration and range mode is off, does it happen.

New 85D owner here... took delivery two weeks ago. Just started noticing the shudder in the rear end at 4mph after I took the .36 update two days ago. It's repeatable 100% of the time, and I'm in full agreement with every other poster here... same issue exactly.

I might try driving home today with range mode on, to see if that makes a difference.

Getting nervous about our weekend road trip now!

Update: Indianapolis service staff has been in touch with me, and is sending a tech to my office today to investigate. I'll update later when I find out anything further.

- - - Updated - - -

Happens every time I coast to a stop at about 4mph. Lasts a second or so and stops below 3mph. Range Mode is off. I've experienced this a few times in the past, before the last update, but couldn't duplicate on demand. Now it's very consistent, but requires coasting to a stop at least from some speed, maybe 20-30mph.

Good point... before the .36 update, I thought I noticed it once or twice, but almost chalked it up to my imagination playing tricks on me. After .36, it's 100% reproducible.... except I only have to get it above 4 mph (say 5, even), and it will shudder as it slows down.

UPDATE (after technician visit just now)...
The shudder is indeed confirmed as a known bug dealing with the front and rear motors being slightly out of sync.
He confirmed to me that Tesla software engineers are aware of the problem and are currently working on the issue.

I'm just relieved to know it's not a hardware issue of any sort!

Last edited:
UPDATE (after technician visit just now)...
The shudder is indeed confirmed as a known bug dealing with the front and rear motors being slightly out of sync.
He confirmed to me that Tesla software engineers are aware of the problem and are currently working on the issue.

I'm just relieved to know it's not a hardware issue of any sort!
That fits the symptoms as far as I can see. While it might not be the ideal situation for the motors, compared to what they put up with on a daily basis, this is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion - simply annoying and a little disconcerting.

I am, however, a little surprised that the solution hasn't been dropped on us yet. It would simply be a matter of undoing whatever they did relating to motor control in the update. But the fact that it hasn't been made a priority suggests how trivial in the scheme of things it likely is. It can wait until there is a bigger update covering other things is what I infer.

ReGen braking issue at 4 MPH

I was able to repeat this vibration at least 10 consecutive tests yesterday to make sure what I observed was a real. I had the radio turned off so I could hear the vibration as well as feel it. The regenerative braking setting was on "Standard." I have not tested it on "Low." During the test, I did not apply the brake in order to feel the vibration. I also turned off "Lane departure" to ruled it out. This vibration is much more subtle than the "Lane departure" vibration, which can be felt during highway speed. It seems to occur right at the end of regenerative braking during the meter transition from green to orange. It seems to be coming from the front of the car.

I have not contacted service yet.

My hypothesis: Vibration damper of front motor is seated improperly.

85D coil - March 2015 with 12k miles

I have precisely the same shuddering on my 70D - delivered on 12Jun2015. I didn't notice it the first month of driving and did not note whether it appeared coincident with a software upgrade (I'm not that bright...). At first I thought it was only occasional, but have now determined it happens with every coast-to-stop at precisely 4 MPH and stops shuddering at 3 MPH. I can't determine whether its origin is front or back, but would bet $0.50 that it's the back. I have an accessory install scheduled for 28Aug2015 and have advised Tesla Service of my concern and will do a test drive/demo with a tech. I'm happy to hear it's not just me. I also have Creep Mode "off" and have noticed no shuddering if I brake through 4 MPH to a stop - only if I'm coasting.

Same exact thing is happening with my 70D, which I just got back yesterday after having the rear drive unit replaced (after 2,500 miles). Noticed that shudder at about 3 or 4 miles an hour when slowing down on regen; it seems to be coming from the rear. Happens about every second or third time. It is definitely not Lane Departure or anything like that. Don't mind it other than if it represents a potentially larger problem. Has anyone had it develop into anything worse?

Same thing happening here with my 70D. Confirming low shudder at speeds between 3-4 mph when the regenerative braking lets off.

I just talked to Chicago service and I'll post what they told me here:

They sited the latest firmware change, and they think it may be one of the new features they added to dry the braking system off during wet periods. Now it seems to be enabling even when it is not wet out, and now everyone notices it. I think he called it brake scrubbing or something else.

I've been added to a 10 car call list. Their technicians are looking at someone else's car that is coming in for service on something unrelated so they can test the shudder issue without bringing everyone else in. They will then call the people on the call list with their findings. They said it is only happening with the "D"'s, and that Tesla as a whole is aware of the issue, and it should be fixed in the next firmware update.

If it truly is the "brake scrubbing" he sited, this shouldn't be a safety issue at all, but just a slight annoyance until they update the firmware.

85D here, and I'm now starting to get a shudder at around 6 mph right before creep kicks in when coasting. Tested without creep on and I do have the 3 mph shudder when coasting every time, seemingly from the rear motor. I've said this before, but using range mode does appear to stop the shuddering all together. Additionally, and this is not as per a software update, I've been getting an inconsistent shudder/shake when accelerating hard out of a turn and straightening the wheel. It feels kind of similar to this, which may indicate the motors temporarily go out of sync. To those who are trying to replicate this, it feels almost as if you are going over a rumble strip, though not as intense. I have brought both issues up to service, and this Saturday I will be going for a test drive with a technician. Has anyone else experienced the shuddering from the turn?

I just talked to Chicago service and I'll post what they told me here:

They sited the latest firmware change, and they think it may be one of the new features they added to dry the braking system off during wet periods. Now it seems to be enabling even when it is not wet out, and now everyone notices it. I think he called it brake scrubbing or something else.

I've been added to a 10 car call list. Their technicians are looking at someone else's car that is coming in for service on something unrelated so they can test the shudder issue without bringing everyone else in. They will then call the people on the call list with their findings. They said it is only happening with the "D"'s, and that Tesla as a whole is aware of the issue, and it should be fixed in the next firmware update.

If it truly is the "brake scrubbing" he sited, this shouldn't be a safety issue at all, but just a slight annoyance until they update the firmware.

Brake scrubbing? Weird... I was always in the habit of doing this myself after a rain, manually by tapping the brake pedal.

I hope this isn't the reason I'm suddenly seeing lots of brake dust on my wheels (I use regen to stop like 99% of the time)!

First world problems :p

Recap of what's known:
1. Only affected vehicles are non-P, dual motor variants: 70D, 85D (and presumably 90D)
2. Range mode seems to mitigate the shudder
3. Tesla is more than aware of this.
I have an 85D and have been trying to replicate this but I haven't been able to feel it. I've tried range mode on and off. I've driven many miles since the software update and haven't noticed the problem.