Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Charging the Regions EV network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't Mooroopna next to Shepparton? - surely they don't both need chargers? - Or are they separate networks?

The Shepparton ones will be 50 kW, the Mooroopna ones are 25 kW - both part of the CTR network.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999 and mike_j
50KW. Pathetic
Yeah that's pretty lame except when you specifically want a longer stop.

But for me, the bigger issue is that there appears to be just a single CCS2 plug at these locations. What if it's in use? What if it's broken? (Which I've seen a few times, most recently at the Moe Chargefox's ultra-rapid units, and considering how few of these things are around, the fact that I've observed a few busted / inoperable ones (incl. Tesla superchargers) suggests they're not reliable).

How can you plan a trip in an EV if you have no idea whether you'll need to stop for 30 minutes or 18 hours (at the local caravan park on 15A)?

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
It's all in the planning in the regional areas.

On a major highway no problem targeting arrival at a supercharger at 5%.

Out in the regions you want to plan to arrive much higher, so you can move onto the next stop if it's broken or in use.

Remember these fast charger cost $50k+ per station installed (much more in some cases), and many won't even average one use per day.

If you only want 350 kW sites and no 50 kW... don't forget they cost about 5x as much to build.

So for the 40 NRMA sites... if NRMA only built 2-stall 350 kW sites, pick the 32 locations you'd cross off the map.

Especially for Teslas, there is usually the alternative of superchargers (in some areas) and often the sites are close enough together to suit shorter range EVs... so a Tesla could skip a location or two as well.

But for me, the bigger issue is that there appears to be just a single CCS2 plug at these locations. What if it's in use? What if it's broken? (Which I've seen a few times, most recently at the Moe Chargefox's ultra-rapid units, and considering how few of these things are around, the fact that I've observed a few busted / inoperable ones (incl. Tesla superchargers) suggests they're not reliable).

How can you plan a trip in an EV if you have no idea whether you'll need to stop for 30 minutes or 18 hours (at the local caravan park on 15A)?
I find the planning is becoming less of an issue as more DCFCs are built. Early on I used Nabiac (which has only one CC2 plug) so the “planning” involved making sure I had enough charge in the morning that if I couldn’t charge there, I could still get to Heatherbrae. Relying on single points of failure is risky. Since then Chargefox Karuah has come online, which has 3 CCS2 plugs, adding more redundancy.

Yeah, this is on #1 highway, but as time goes on, hopefully DCFCs only 100 km or so apart will become normal on more and more highways.

Having 500km range certainly helps, SR Model 3 owners might get squeaky bum more often. ABRP and Plugshare are your friends, seeing recent checkins helps build confidence.

Yep! Sometimes I find Superchargers too fast when you want a slightly more leisurely break, and not feel like you have to rush back to unplug the car to avoid idle fees. 50 kW is perfect for that.
I reckon 75kW will be the sweet spot for me. Most times I pick a 50kW over a 100+kW so I don't have to rush my stop. Occasionally I find myself waiting a little bit longer on the 50kW chargers.

CTR Harcourt now open.
25kW Delta DC charger.

And seemingly Castlemaine nearby is scheduled for a Tritium 50kW unit soon
Do you need an account with someone (ChargeFox, Evie etc) to use that charger?

Opposite side of Victoria, Anyone driven from Melbourne to Wilsons Prom? We're staying in a Tidal River (thinking of overnight charging it via 10A plug).

Any other options from anyone who's stayed down there a few nights?
I haven’t done that drive in a Tesla but last year I spent a week at a property in Kangaroo Valley and topped up the car from the house 240V overnight, which was enough for all the day trips we did. Some days I only topped up for a couple of hours. I have a heavy-duty 10A (but 15A-rated) 10 metre extension cord in my box of tricks in the sub-boot of my car.

Opposite side of Victoria, Anyone driven from Melbourne to Wilsons Prom? We're staying in a Tidal River (thinking of overnight charging it via 10A plug).

Any other options from anyone who's stayed down there a few nights?
Check plugshare for some options. The main ones worth considering are the DC charger at the Cape Display Centre at Cape Paterson and the AC chargers at Fish Creek Hotel. Both locations have had issues going offline recently but recent check-ins should give you an idea if they're active.

Been to the Prom a few times in my SR+, which can’t make the ~440km trip without charging.
One time we drove to Foster and got a little cabin at the caravan park overnight. Avoided driving through the Prom late on Friday night (animals), still had most of Saturday there (and Sun).
The other time, same thing but Waratah Bay campground, got a powered site, which was actually better because it was a 15A GPO rather than the 10A standard outlet at the cabin (belonging to the hot water unit at the back).
Not as convenient as a petrol car that’s for sure but our petrol car is much more effort to drive (it is almost 50 years old).
Seen a few other Model 3s at the Prom, can’t remember whether they were SR+s or not though.
Will aim for a Tidal River powered site during the winter, even if they are diesel gennie powered (why oh why have they not put PV on every roof down there?!!).

We're going down on a friday night, staying 2 nights. I looked it up and if I divert via the Chargefox in Moe, it's a extra 30mins and it's ultrafast. If I go via the Cape it's 20mins extra but reliability hasn't been the best there in the past. Actually and there is the Evie in Dandenong which is like a 5min diversion off the freeway, obviously 200km away.

Regardless i'll slow 10A charge overnight which should be fine.

It'd be nice if there was a 32A socket down there,,