Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the review! The speed issue is why Home/Hotspot options are there. Streams go much faster that way!

@Roadie so you can connect Roadie using mobile hotspot to view videos while not at home? Eg while sitting in a parking lot somewhere by enabling Android hotspot and connecting the Roadie (?).

Just want to confirm this before placing an order, thanks!

Last edited:
Can you share a little more info please. Watching the video and the content on the web don't explain in your FAQ.
Mind you, I am not being critical, just want to understand.

1. To access the video's when away from your home WiFi, we can connect directly to the Roadie in the car?
2. Once home the Roadie can connect directly to home WiFi and be seen on the smartphone also on home WiFi?
3. Car must be on to view Roadie video. That means can only view Roadie videos on home WiFi when car is on?
4. Can only view Roadie videos on computer at home on home WiFi when car/Roadie is on?
5. How about a version of Roadie that uses separate USB power input so power from OBD port can feed Roadie to keep it on - longer, such as at home?
6. Tested on MCU1 model S/X? Result?

Bump. Did I miss the answer to these questions?

Not yet but I’m going to add this. One great thing is I can update the roadie device via the mobile app and add features over time
just to be clear, I’m talking about when you’re not also in the car. If you are near the roadie you can connect to the roadie as it has its own hotspot.

Thanks for confirming and the details. As long as footage can be viewed over hotspot while on the road (near/in the car for now) that's great.

Order placed!

After getting a Model 3 about a month ago I decided to make an app so I could view my Sentry Incidents and TeslaCam footage on my phone. It uses iOS 13's support for reading USB drives. You can download it here: ‎Dash View for Tesla Cars. You can just plug in your drive, and then view your footage right on your phone.

It has extremely smooth playback up to 4x speed and the ability to export composite videos of whichever cameras you want to export. You can also export fun time lapses. You can also jump straight to around the moment your Tesla detected the Sentry Incident.

You can use any USB drive with an appropriate adaptor. For SD cards, you can use Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — Apple, and for USB drives you can use Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. Apple has a restriction on the power output for iPhones, so for some USB drives you may have to plug the adaptor into power.

I'm open to suggestions for further improvement - let me know if there are any features that you would want me to add.

Sadly, I can't get the app to recognize my adapter/SD Micro on iPhone 8. I say this after trying for a week. Bring it to my iMac, the files are there, just can't do it in the car with phone. Message says no valid folder found (approx verbiage) Good thing Vikasa doesn't need power as it would be physically impossible to connect the lightning cable with Vikasa attached. But I'll keep the app and the device for possible updates going forward. Additionally, I bought "DashCamView for Tesla" for desktop use, and that app allows me to look at recorded files. There is no rear camera view, but they say they're coming out with it pronto. Minor inconvenience having to wait till I'm at my desktop to view files, but I can't justify committing seppuku over it.

So there is one bug that I haven't seen discussed @Roadie that also attributed to my initial review thinking the 64GB was full in a day.

The app does not show all events if you scroll down, only the first several. If you delete those events, you will have a blank display with a refresh button, as if there are no more events. But there may be several more, and hitting that refresh button another set is loaded in.
You should be able to scroll back to all events in the list, especially to see how many are really there.

So there is one bug that I haven't seen discussed @Roadie that also attributed to my initial review thinking the 64GB was full in a day.

The app does not show all events if you scroll down, only the first several. If you delete those events, you will have a blank display with a refresh button, as if there are no more events. But there may be several more, and hitting that refresh button another set is loaded in.
You should be able to scroll back to all events in the list, especially to see how many are really there.

Just like you pull down to refresh you can pull up to load more once you hit the bottom. It does this to avoid loading everything at once. Maybe I can change the up to say "pull up for 33 more"