Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Downloaded DashCamViewer from the Apple Store for my iPhone7/iPadPro. Connected my SSD (that is supported according to the app description), and opened app. App requested that I open the TeslaCam folder but gives no way to do that. Complete failure. Requested refund of my $5.
DashCam Viewer is not my app - mine is called Dash View. Unfortunately someone else used a very similar name.

Questions for @Roadie or anyone that knows linux stuff...

I am trying to read my Roadie SD card on my computer, so I can quickly view and delete the numerous videos on it. Unfortunately the only volume that mounts is "boot" that is 25MB and doesn't contain any of the video.
Disk Utility shows two other large volumes but seems they can't be read?
Does anyone know how to mount or access these?

My problem is that I parked somewhere with a lot of activity and it recorded 50+ sentry events.
Because of Roadie's extremely slow wifi, so much as trying to delete each one at a time repeatedly failed.
I also tried connecting to the roadie from my computer, which does work, even tried copying files using rsync which would repeatedly fail, and I did not have permissions to delete anyway.

I strongly suggest @Roadie add support soon for a few things:
-File browsing in the app, or list of events with easy multi-select and delete
-Automatic uploading of videos to a NAS on a local network (as the other pi zero software does) so I can more quickly view several events when home
-As I requested before, pre-process lower quality/resolution video for viewing in the app to reduce need for so much network bandwidth

The roadie is buried in the center console of the car out in the driveway, with nothing but a small chip antenna, it's to be expected it won't have a strong signal. Maybe I can also find out how to add a larger wifi antenna to the pi.

I am trying to read my Roadie SD card on my computer, so I can quickly view and delete the numerous videos on it. Unfortunately the only volume that mounts is "boot" that is 25MB and doesn't contain any of the video.

My problem is that I parked somewhere with a lot of activity and it recorded 50+ sentry events.
Because of Roadie's extremely slow wifi, so much as trying to delete each one at a time repeatedly failed.
I also tried connecting to the roadie from my computer, which does work, even tried copying files using rsync which would repeatedly fail, and I did not have permissions to delete anyway.

-Automatic uploading of videos to a NAS on a local network (as the other pi zero software does) so I can more quickly view several events when home
-As I requested before, pre-process lower quality/resolution video for viewing in the app to reduce need for so much network bandwidth

The roadie is buried in the center console of the car out in the driveway, with nothing but a small chip antenna, it's to be expected it won't have a strong signal. Maybe I can also find out how to add a larger wifi antenna to the pi.

Maybe on disk manager you can assign a drive letter to the volume so that you can read stuff from it.

sometimes that happens to me.

What you’re seeing is the actual boot partition for the Pi board inside roadie that contains the OS and the programs that the board runs. These programs, among other things, emulate USB storage - thats what the two large partitions you see that won’t mount are. You need the OS to boot and run these programs to mount the storage, and your PC/Mac won’t do that. So, instead of inserting the memory card directly into your computer, put it back in the Roadie and then plug the whole thing in. It will take a minute to boot up, but once it does, you should see the emulated drive that the car writes to. Alternatively, you can read the video files directly from the SD card, but you will need something that can get them without a file system. Also, messing with the partitions on the SD will likely make your Roadie stop working.

P.S. Pi Zero W (I assume that’s what Roadie is) has a pretty intricate antenna design. Unfortunately, adding an external antenna to it is a non-trivial process. You can read more on that here: https://hackaday.com/2017/03/07/adding-an-external-antenna-to-the-raspberry-pi-zero-w/

Last edited:
What you’re seeing is the actual boot partition for the Pi board inside roadie that contains the OS and the programs that the board runs. These programs, among other things, emulate USB storage - thats what the two large partitions you see that won’t mount are. You need the OS to boot and run these programs to mount the storage, and your PC/Mac won’t do that. So, instead of inserting the memory card directly into your computer, put it back in the Roadie and then plug the whole thing in. It will take a minute to boot up, but once it does, you should see the emulated drive that the car writes to. Alternatively, you can read the video files directly from the SD card, but you will need something that can get them without a file system. Also, messing with the partitions on the SD will likely make your Roadie stop working.

P.S. Pi Zero W (I assume that’s what Roadie is) has a pretty intricate antenna design. Unfortunately, adding an external antenna to it is a non-trivial process. You can read more on that here: Adding An External Antenna To The Raspberry Pi Zero W

I saw that, and soldering a jack on an existing pad and adding an antenna is much more approachable to me than all that linux hacking stuff :) depends who you are talking to.
Just would be nice for some utility to read the filed directly.
At least Roadie has updated and now builds smaller size previews. Hopefully batch select and delete ( or download) will come in the future.