Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another question: probably unrelated to the new browser since I already had this problem before: When I get in the car after not using it a while and the waze page is still open, sometimes the map doesn't appear. I try to reload the browser but that even doesn't work. Only thing I find to work is OR reset the MCU OR first navigate to another page and then go back to the waze page. Do any of you also experience this issue, and what do you do about it ?

Super with the new browser is that the tracking is now realtime instead of 30 seconds ! I've been waiting for this for over a year now :) Thanks @ericwol for maintaining this great page !
I've had the same problem! Thought it was my software update to .18...relieved (sort of) to hear it's not just me!

Eric - I am willing to contribute a monthly fee towards the Google rip-off if you choose to make it easier on yourself!

Reactions: wedge07
This is the end....

As you may not know, but Google has decided to charge for all access to their mapping service. At my current usage, I'm looking in an excess of $800 a month to continue running this service. Even if I remove the elevation usage, I'm still looking at $500 a month in charges.

These are exorbitant prices on top of the "dick move" by Google that only gives people 30 days to move off of their platform.

Sadly, the TeslaWaze website will be taken down at the end of May.

I will be exploring other options, but make no promises if this site will ever exists in the future.

Thanks guys for all your support,
Eric
Eric, Thanks for what you gave us! Let me echo others by saying I relied on it every day, and it saved me quite a bit of money in tickets. Please consider going subscription. I really miss waze in the browser on my MS and would happily pay for the functionality again

I've had the same problem! Thought it was my software update to .18...relieved (sort of) to hear it's not just me!

Eric - I am willing to contribute a monthly fee towards the Google rip-off if you choose to make it easier on yourself!
Also, before this happened, I "was" working on Waze routing now that we are not restricted to 30 second GPS updates.

View attachment 301722
I just sent you an email. When you have a moment, please drop me a ping back, [email protected].

So to be clear, at this point I'm not giving any money to Google, after this fiasco.So I looked at other options, and of course Open Street Maps is the best option right now.

I have setup my own OSM tile server, and there is definitely more work involved here (mostly styling issues).

To expedite this, I'm going with OpenLayers and use MapBox as the map provider. I don't know what the final cost of MapBox services will end up being.

The new project is currently hosted here (don't expect too much right now):

Code:
https://teslawaze-beta.azurewebsites.net/

@ericwol Eric. I reached out to you on LinkedIn. I am a developer and Tesla S owner as well. I am trying to connect you with Mapbox folks. I develop on Mapbox and CartoDB tech stack daily. I know both companies and their CEO's very well.

Connect with me on LinkedIn or via
eanders at pobox dot com
Lets work out the details offline and keep the TeslaWaze online.

So to be clear, at this point I'm not giving any money to Google, after this fiasco.So I looked at other options, and of course Open Street Maps is the best option right now.

I have setup my own OSM tile server, and there is definitely more work involved here (mostly styling issues).

To expedite this, I'm going with OpenLayers and use MapBox as the map provider. I don't know what the final cost of MapBox services will end up being.

Code:
Hey Eric, can you give us a shout - [email protected] . Thanks.

I am an accountant, not a computer programmer. However, it is nice seeing others with the knowledge and ability to step forward to assist Eric in this most useful tool for our Tesla driving.

Thanks everyone! Maybe, just maybe, there will be a little extra room for all of you in the TESLA Hall of Fame next to Eric!

So to be clear, at this point I'm not giving any money to Google, after this fiasco.So I looked at other options, and of course Open Street Maps is the best option right now. I have setup my own OSM tile server, and there is definitely more work involved here (mostly styling issues). To expedite this, I'm going with OpenLayers and use MapBox as the map provider. I don't know what the final cost of MapBox services will end up being.

The new project is currently hosted here (don't expect too much right now): https://teslawaze-beta.azurewebsites.net/

Woo hoo! ... :cool:

upload_2018-5-21_21-16-28.png

The Teslawaze website at Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information is announcing that due to increased Google Maps charges, they will no longer be able to continue running the website starting in June. I found it to be a very useful site to run in the built-in browser in my Model S or on my iPhone in my Model 3 and would be willing to pay for it, but can't find out who is actually running the site. Does anyone know how to contact them?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The Teslawaze website at Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information is announcing that due to increased Google Maps charges, they will no longer be able to continue running the website starting in June. I found it to be a very useful site to run in the built-in browser in my Model S or on my iPhone in my Model 3 and would be willing to pay for it, but can't find out who is actually running the site. Does anyone know how to contact them?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

Code:

I noticed on the beta site yesterday there were some police reports were showing on the map. Keep up the good work!!!

Side note: The Beta site always loaded a blank page for me under 2018.12. Today, after I got a forced update at the service center yesterday (due to failed update attempts) it works fine under 2018.20.5. I presume it’s the browser update ...

The beta site seemed to work as well for me on a road trip as the original site. This was with 2018.20.
This that don't work yet:

• Panning the map
  1. Tesla browser bug, Browser does not respect the "user-scalable=no" header meta property
  2. Tesla browser bug. Browser does not handle the element.pointerEvents = "none" property
  • Traffic camera alerts doe not work
  • Traffic Jam paths do not render
  • Alert balloons do not display if you click on a Waze alert icon

With that said, Google is pushing out their price increase until next month. So, it will continue using Google until middle of next month.

@ericwol (maybe @ErikRed too) just to join the chorus of appreciation that you are not giving up after all and going with open source solution.

The Teslawaze app is nigh on indispensable to me, best of luck in finding a way around the inevitable browser limitations.

Many of us have offered to pay for the app/service knowing how much work you have put in and the value we derive from it, and I appreciate and underrstand your relucance to do so.

Maybe as an alternate suggestion you could just set up a donations page so that those who wish to contribute can do so.
If you further still wish to keep it all not-for-profit you could foward such donations to a charity of your choice.

Good luck with the development.

Thanks.