Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
question about the red 'checkered' markings I now see what are they meant to warn me about?

The Police traps update information is posted just above post number 387 which I've quoted here for you. He also mentions the red light camera and the issues behind that! Hopefully it will shed some light on the issue for you.

New version uploaded!

Police Traps
I have collected 2.6 million reported police locations across north america over the last 6 months. With this data set, I implemented a machine learning algorithm to identify density based clusters of reported locations. These high enforcement areas are now overlayed on the map. I have also started to collect data for western Europe and will add these locations in the future as well.

High enforcement zones will show up as red shaded areas on the map.
View media item 116845
An example of police hiding in a speed trap area. :)
View media item 116846
Camera Notifications
I tried to make the pop up notifications work better based on current speed. The 30 second location poll imposed by Tesla browser kind of makes this a crappy experience.

Bug Fixes
Fixed a handful of bugs that you may or may not notice. :)

The Police traps update information is posted just above post number 387 which I've quoted here for you. He also mentions the red light camera and the issues behind that! Hopefully it will shed some light on the issue for you.
thanks for that, the red light camera alerts are weak, maybe the speed thing is the issue but whatever it is the alerts are not to be depended on.

@ericwol,

Ever since I received firmware 17.24.28, I've noticed that there is an oddity with the Tesla-Waze app. Clicking/tapping on an accident/hazard/police icon now seems to nearly crash the application. Prior to this, tapping one of those icons brought up an information bubble that you could then clear by tapping outside it. Ever since this firmware, once one of these icons is clicked on, it takes 90-120 seconds for the information bubble to come up. Furthermore, the entire app then runs extremely slow until the page is reloaded. Something must have changed in the browser with this firmware that's affected your Javascript.

Thanks for all your work on this app, by the way, it's up in my car nearly constantly while driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
We completed our 16 day, 7,000 mile cross-country trip on the evening of 7/4/17. For the entire trip the top screen was GPS and the lower was Tesla Waze, Wind, and Elevation. We LOVED it. However, both my wife and I kept our Waze phone app opened most of the time so we could also update Waze. It was very useful and we felt that we needed to give back. Plus it was fun trying to guess which other Wazer was driving close to us.

@ericwol,

Ever since I received firmware 17.24.28, I've noticed that there is an oddity with the Tesla-Waze app. Clicking/tapping on an accident/hazard/police icon now seems to nearly crash the application. Prior to this, tapping one of those icons brought up an information bubble that you could then clear by tapping outside it. Ever since this firmware, once one of these icons is clicked on, it takes 90-120 seconds for the information bubble to come up. Furthermore, the entire app then runs extremely slow until the page is reloaded. Something must have changed in the browser with this firmware that's affected your Javascript.

Thanks for all your work on this app, by the way, it's up in my car nearly constantly while driving.
I have the same issues but perhaps it started a couple of days prior to my firmware updates. Hope this comment is useful.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'd like to add to add a big THANK YOU for this great web site. It has become the preferred display on my top half, which was formerly occupied by the built-in nav map.

@ericwol, if I may suggest one enhancement to make it even better, would it be possible to see the traffic direction on the alert icon without tapping it for detailed info? For instance if I am going north on a freeway and I see a police alert, I currently have to tap the icon and read the detail to know if it pertains to the northbound or southbound side, and if it's not on my side I don't really care about it. Knowing which side without tapping and waiting would be awesome.

Thanks again for your hard work on a great tool.

I'd like to add to add a big THANK YOU for this great web site. It has become the preferred display on my top half, which was formerly occupied by the built-in nav map.

@ericwol, if I may suggest one enhancement to make it even better, would it be possible to see the traffic direction on the alert icon without tapping it for detailed info? For instance if I am going north on a freeway and I see a police alert, I currently have to tap the icon and read the detail to know if it pertains to the northbound or southbound side, and if it's not on my side I don't really care about it. Knowing which side without tapping and waiting would be awesome.

Thanks again for your hard work on a great tool.

The police alerts from the Waze data feed has no lane of travel direction on it.

There is probably a few ways to solve this.

1. Proximity alerts
Other users asked for this. When close to a police activity report, display a popup notification on the screen. The notification will display the street information of the report. The downside is any police in your vicinity will be displayed, not just the ones on your path of travel. This is probably the easiest to implement as this is already being done for red-light/speed cameras.
2. Street names matching
On most divided highways, the Waze street name also includes the direction of travel. I-5 south is displayed as "I-5 S". To implement this, you would need to do a reverse geo lookup of your cars location to get the street you are on to match the street names of the alerts. The downside is that Google limits the number of queries per day you can make before they start wanting to charge you money for access to there API.
3. Path projection
The best implementation is to project the path (road) that you are traveling and only show alerts on that path in head of you. This is the most CPU intensive of the three, and considering how slow the Tesla browser is probably not doable on the browser client side.
So far, I have been patiently waiting for Tesla to update the browser before adding more features to this app. Part of the blame of slow performance is on Google as well. They completely ignore simple developers asks, that would make your experience better. For example, Google Maps Animations. There is no way to disable this, and this is the number one reason this app is slow on the Tesla browser. You can try this yourself, by clicking on an alert near the edge of the screen. Since the balloon notification can't fit, Google Maps will pan the map so that the balloon notification can fit, but since they use "animations" this experience is painfully slow on the Tesla Browser.:(

And another huge THANK YOU!

Of course, accompanied by a suggestion...could the display change to show ⅔ in front of the direction of travel and ⅓ behind it? generally that would show more areas of interest except for directly behind, which isn't usually that interesting...

This is only useful if up is the direction of travel. Google only supports "North" orientation on their web APIs. To implement this with "North" orientation, your car location will be bouncing around on all sides and corners of the screen. I don't know if that would be desirable.

Reactions: Austral
@ericwol
@ericwol,

Well mine stopped malfunctioning after I turned off the beta police trap thingy. Just as well since almost the entire Dulles Toll Road was correctly marked as one giant police trap, which it is.

I can confirm as well, with police trap feature turned off, everything runs smoothly on both 17.24.28 and 17.26.17.

Agreed had the same results when I tested!

Eric any ideas on the police trap issues recently I've had to disable it as it becomes impossibly slow with it on... I do find it very useful to see the shaded trap zones!

Reactions: Austral