Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here-- excited to be part of the club...

I was in line in NYC, (about the 100th person) on 3/31/16 and ordered at around 11:16am based on a picture I took.

I got my configuration email on 4/6/18 around 6:30pm EST.
Ordered Midnight Silver, 19 inch wheels around 9pm that night.

Just checked by chance on 4/11/18 at 6:30pm and I already have a VIN: 5YJ3xxxxxxxxxx

Not sure if that means the car has been made already and they just assigned me one that was coming off the line? Or do they just assign VINs to orders as they get them?

I haven't gotten a call from them about financing or dates so just wondering how long between VIN->delivery date have people seen recently?

Would be great if I just got one that was coming off the line anyway - I'm sure my choices were pretty common.

Psyched regardless...

-Eric

Whoops- just realized people were looking for the last part of the VINs: 175xx
Hello fellow MSM sport! I am now aware of three of us with the same config in the 175xx area. From the spreadsheet, it looks like there's about a 100 VIN range of MSM cars from the mid 17500s to 17600s. I'm an online reservation holder in NE, the other I've encountered was an in-person in PA. It'll be interesting to see the logistics of this one.

New here-- excited to be part of the club...

I was in line in NYC, (about the 100th person) on 3/31/16 and ordered at around 11:16am based on a picture I took.

I got my configuration email on 4/6/18 around 6:30pm EST.
Ordered Midnight Silver, 19 inch wheels around 9pm that night.

Just checked by chance on 4/11/18 at 6:30pm and I already have a VIN: 5YJ3xxxxxxxxxx

Not sure if that means the car has been made already and they just assigned me one that was coming off the line? Or do they just assign VINs to orders as they get them?

I haven't gotten a call from them about financing or dates so just wondering how long between VIN->delivery date have people seen recently?

Would be great if I just got one that was coming off the line anyway - I'm sure my choices were pretty common.

Psyched regardless...

-Eric
Cool. I live in NYC and am having car delivered there too. I configured 3/6 and received my vin last Friday. I received call this Monday and have delivery apt for 10am on the 24th of April.

I'm trying to stay cool about no VIN since no one was getting MSM for a while, but now it seems flood gates have opened and missed me.
I ordered 3/28 and now many people in NY/NJ area have gotten VINs and Delivery Dates.
This thread is both therapy and anxiety, LOL.

Not to mention my delivery center is on the way to/from home/work. I drive by both ways and Just this week I have seen White, Blue, Silver and Red. Neither being there long enough to see twice and never more than one at a time. Not sure if their capacity is only getting one at a time which sounds silly.

I'm sure my Model 3 will be here soon and all of this will be forgotten.
Thanks everyone for sharing. :cool:

Last edited:
:) It’s happening!
A199EF1E-5862-483D-8CB2-74FAA0CF1E22.jpeg

We have a delivery appointment for 10AM Tuesday in Portland OR.

There really seems to be no rhyme or reason in the VIN assignments. Some order in the morning and get the VIN later that same day. Others wait over a month. And you are in San Jose, no less.
That is what gets me the most, people who get VIN same day as they order.
Don't get me wrong I'm happy for them, just wish we all could understand the process.
Right now it just seems like getting picked for the Hunger Games. ;)

Line Waiter Non-Owner on 3/31/16
Invited 4/11/18
Ordered 4/11/18
VIN Assigned 4/12/18

182XX MC Red | Sport Wheels | EAP | PUP | LR

I hope they get it to me in April my registration is about to expire!
We have a temporary registration that expires on 4/16. Taking delivery on 4/17.
I ordered personalized plates for my wife, Roxanne’s Model 3 a few months ago.
EF2149FB-6CB6-4C2D-97FD-49B4C8839E2A.jpeg

Actually ordered them for her Prius that we’re trading in. Having Tesla transfer the plates. DOL told me I could wait to put them on the Prius until the 16th. Close enough...

Some of these instant VINs seem like makeup or consolation for line waiters for being inadvertantly skipped during those rounds of invites. Elon replied to a tweet not long ago that he was surprised a line waiter in the US had not received an invite and said it would be fixed. Many of the recent, nearly instant, invite to VIN turn around times seem to be day one line waiters that should have been invited long ago. Is it possible Tesla is just prioritizing these people due to an issue that caused them to be skiped. Elon's response made it seem like all day one line waiters in the US should have received an invite well before last week.

Black w/ Aeros were assigned on sequential days leading up to Tuesday (4/10) and then nothing for a couple of days...
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 8.34.38 AM.png
A positive side is that I'll know when to start checking my account for a VIN in earnest as I start to see those 3/22 configs receive one. I'll be getting a VIN after them (most likely) since I configured on 3/30.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde