Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is encouraging news, I changed my MR ordered on 10/19 to LR AWD on 10/25, and was pleasantly surprised to see the "Edit Design" disappear yesterday, and I suddenly had options to enter data on my trade-in, along with applying for financing. This is looking good for possible delivery by the end of the year hopefully.

Grrr...

I get to join the delayed delivery club. My car has not moved from the mid-west in the last week so my Monday delivery is off.

When it does arrive they offered me Tesla Direct but I'm only 20 mins from the SC so don't see any benefit with that. I'd rather have less handling of the car and the ability to inspect it in front of them.
Did they actually tell you where your car was? I was only told "somewhere between Chicago and Baltimore". Got a 10 day delay to 11/10 with a claim that it may come sooner. Also offered Tesla Direct. I'm an hour from the SC so was thinking about. Any major advantages to going into the SC?

$2,500 actually. It also included rims, front glass, and the first annual checkup. I certainly hope it's worth it. I did it mainly because I'm horrible at washing my car, so the hope is that this makes it looks good every other month when I do it :D

:) I purchased all of the waterless car wash and wax materials and my wife just laughed at me noting that there is no way I'm going to wash any car on a regular basis. I'm going with the ceramic coating and tint - still not sold on the PPF. Right now, I just want my damn car! :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
Did they actually tell you where your car was? I was only told "somewhere between Chicago and Baltimore". Got a 10 day delay to 11/10 with a claim that it may come sooner. Also offered Tesla Direct. I'm an hour from the SC so was thinking about. Any major advantages to going into the SC?
When she looked it up a week ago it was west of Chicago and that was the next expected location. Today she said "somewhere in the mid-west. She didn't want to give me a new date without more info. Did you ask if Tesla Direct would speed delivery?

Anyway, if the freight marshaling yard is just east of Chicago then your info is technically correct... :confused:

P3D+ White/white VIN assigned. 081xxx I'm not sure what to think of this. I understand it's not sequential VIN assignment, and this VIN appears to fall generally in the "gap". I want an October "built" car, if possible. Without me scrolling through many pages of VINs...anyone have an October build date in the 70-90k range? Build date may not mean much from what I understand...hate to think if this car was built in September what it must have been like to be held back until now! We'll see, looking forward to checking it out carefully, Nov. 10th! Hopefully it'll be perfect.

As near as I can tell from the last couple pages, there are low VINs with October factory gate dates. So maybe nothing to worry about? I guess more to the point have any very recent deliveries had September build dates...?

Also new P3D+ pricing is applied on my account, and I'm supposed to have FUSC, so hopefully by next week Tesla's policy there will be clear...

Last edited:
P3D+ White/white VIN assigned. 081xxx I'm not sure what to think of this. I understand it's not sequential VIN assignment, and this VIN appears to fall generally in the "gap". I want an October "built" car, if possible. Without me scrolling through many pages of VINs...anyone have an October build date in the 70-90k range? Build date may not mean much from what I understand...hate to think if this car was built in September what it must have been like to be held back until now! We'll see, looking forward to checking it out carefully, Nov. 10th! Hopefully it'll be perfect.

As near as I can tell from the last couple pages, there are low VINs with October factory gate dates. So maybe nothing to worry about? I guess more to the point have any very recent deliveries had September build dates...?

Also new P3D+ pricing is applied on my account, and I'm supposed to have FUSC, so hopefully by next week Tesla's policy there will be clear...

I am wondering the same thing. P3d+. was p3d- with a 94xxx Vin for delivery 11/3 but I said I wanted a p3d+ instead. Today I just got assigned a vin 83xxx and was also thinking it was kind of a low Vin. I'm also hoping for an October build date

We’ll see. I have delivery date of 11/10. I might ask what the build date is a day in advance. In the end I’ll just go down and look it over, and hopefully it is all good, low mileage, everything looks good on the list of things to check, no paint issues, etc.

I don’t really expect the bumper color to match though. Two tone is kind of retro anyway. :)

Looking at the Teslike spreadsheet:

Teslike Model 3 Order Tracker #4

It looks like there is batch of VINs in this general region of numbers that correspond to recent P3D+ vehicles, so I guess they're just filling in the gaps. Though I couldn't see the build date info corresponding to VIN in that spreadsheet...just looked quickly so maybe I missed it...it is in the survey but clicking through the tabs I didn't see an analysis.

Last edited:
When she looked it up a week ago it was west of Chicago and that was the next expected location. Today she said "somewhere in the mid-west. She didn't want to give me a new date without more info. Did you ask if Tesla Direct would speed delivery?

Anyway, if the freight marshaling yard is just east of Chicago then your info is technically correct... :confused:
Lake Michigan is just East of Chicago. Unsuitable for rail activity. Tesla has some big site SW of Chicago.

• Funny
Reactions: webdbbt
Why wouldn't the paint of the bumper match? Is this a joke or something I missed?

Because it is white, and that is pretty difficult with the plasticizers they have to add to the bumper paint plus the multi coat. I expect it to be a little darker shade than the rest of the car. Hopefully I’m wrong. This challenge is not limited to Tesla from what I understand. That being said, I have a Spark EV I lease for $75 a month in white (not multicoat), and its bumper matches!

My home delivery is supposed to happen today at 2pm EST. They text this morning and asked if I wanted it delivered. Is there a disadvantage to home delivery?

The only disadvantage is that, unless a Tesla employee comes with the delivery, you probably will not have anyone to answer your questions. You will just be asked to sign for the delivery acceptance. You have 48 hours to contact the SC with any issues found.

The advantage is that you get your car delivered to your front door and probably quicker than through your sales office.

I was originally scheduled for home delivery but due to Hurricane Florence it was moved to Raleigh. The home delivery was going to save me a 150 mile drive to Raleigh.

• Helpful
Reactions: webdbbt and SayWhat
I am taking delivery of a Performance Model 3 this Saturday and was just assigned VIN 5YJ3E1EB0JF0752xx. Oddly, this VIN is within 400 of my friend's VIN who took delivery 5 weeks ago on the same coast (East coast). I ordered mine a week after he did, but could not take the first car available in early October because I was heading out for a 2 week vacation, so they gave my car away to someone else. They called two weeks later and said there were no red Model 3 in the country, and mine would have to be built. I was relieved mine was being built much later, since my friend was having MANY issues with his car, but am now concerned that our two cars were built possibly within the same day. I called Tesla delivery team, and they were ZERO help, and could not give me any history about the car and when it was built (she sarcastically said it was built in 2018, which irked me, but I was nice and kept my cool).

What range of VINs are we seeing lately, and was my car built back in September despite Tesla informing me in mid October that it still needed to be built?

Thank you.

I am taking delivery of a Performance Model 3 this Saturday and was just assigned VIN 5YJ3E1EB0JF0752xx. Oddly, this VIN is within 400 of my friend's VIN who took delivery 5 weeks ago on the same coast (East coast). I ordered mine a week after he did, but could not take the first car available in early October because I was heading out for a 2 week vacation, so they gave my car away to someone else. They called two weeks later and said there were no red Model 3 in the country, and mine would have to be built. I was relieved mine was being built much later, since my friend was having MANY issues with his car, but am now concerned that our two cars were built possibly within the same day. I called Tesla delivery team, and they were ZERO help, and could not give me any history about the car and when it was built (she sarcastically said it was built in 2018, which irked me, but I was nice and kept my cool).

What range of VINs are we seeing lately, and was my car built back in September despite Tesla informing me in mid October that it still needed to be built?

Thank you.

There isn't a scheme, available to us anyway, on the VIN assignment. It's jumbled on purpose.

The only way is to ask Tesla.

We’ll see. I have delivery date of 11/10. I might ask what the build date is a day in advance. In the end I’ll just go down and look it over, and hopefully it is all good, low mileage, everything looks good on the list of things to check, no paint issues, etc.

I don’t really expect the bumper color to match though. Two tone is kind of retro anyway. :)

Looking at the Teslike spreadsheet:

Teslike Model 3 Order Tracker #4

It looks like there is batch of VINs in this general region of numbers that correspond to recent P3D+ vehicles, so I guess they're just filling in the gaps. Though I couldn't see the build date info corresponding to VIN in that spreadsheet...just looked quickly so maybe I missed it...it is in the survey but clicking through the tabs I didn't see an analysis.

I have the exact same config and vin # as you. I'm scheduled for Nov 14th. I was a bit worried but I looked on the spreadsheet and found that they made batches of the Pearl White w/ White interior. Report back and let us know how the build quality is!

So far the data shows the white on white with vin 100k and up are P3D- with aero wheels.

There's only been one so far that's VIN 108k white on white P3D+

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.00.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.00.26 PM.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.00.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.00.42 PM.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.01.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.01.25 PM.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.01.57 PM.png