Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, found my senator's bill! It's currently in committee. I just glanced through, but this is a lot more detailed than HB 2653, applies to new and used, and sets a higher cap for base model price. Wonder if this passes, could the bills be merged? Here's where my ignorance of the process starts to show!

Washington State Legislature

I have heard that everyone agreed to align behind 2653, so they could just have one fairly simple bill to discuss and shepard through the process.

There were a few other similar bills (like 6080), but they will just die in committee and not get to the floor.

That was the plan, anyway. Things sometimes change.

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
Nothing in the Legislature is ever completely dead until the final gavel falls to end the session. There are deadlines that are to streamline the process, but those deadlines have some flexibility if legislators want a bill enough. There are additional deadlines and exemptions for bills that are "necessary to implement the budget," which could also include this one.There can also be opportunities for the contents of one bill to be amended onto an existing bill on a similar topic -- something that is happening right now for me on an education bill I helped draft.

It certainly appeared as though this bill did not pass the House in time, right up until it passed anyhow. The Senate can adopt it as written and passed by the House, or they can potentially try to offer amendments to the House version. If amended, the two chambers would have to negotiate a compromise and then each vote again to pass it. That seems less likely than the scenario that @ChadS described. I would think it extremely unlikely that any other version of this bill would resurface at this point, and that it will either be this one or nothing.

• Helpful
Maybe this is the time to point out I've already configured, so I'm getting this credit regardless. I'm still pushing for its extension because these credits are about a lot more than me getting a cheaper car, I want them to be wildly successful and for the state of Washington to be one of the leaders in making it happen.

Impressions from some advocates that have been roaming the halls in Olympia:

This morning's committee meeting apparently had to be canceled because some paperwork didn't get done in time on the House side. It was a technicality, not anything significant with the bill.
Senate leadership is favorable, and if it comes to a floor vote consensus is that it will likely pass. Still, it won't be the landslide it was in the House, so it can't hurt to contact your senator.
Although we are near some deadlines, the deadlines are self-imposed and this bill's provisions could always be tossed in to the budget bill. Nobody seems worried about missing a deadline.
The biggest worry right now is that the head of the Senate Transportation committee (Hobbes) is unhappy with the money coming out of the multi-model account. He wants to amend the bill, but nobody knows what change he might make.

Any change would have to be reconciled with the House, although again if the bill passes nobody thought that would be a significant issue.

Actually pleasantly surprised with my representative for getting back in touch again after the email about it not coming up in time:

Dear XXX,

I wanted to give you a quick update. I was mistaken in believing that HB 2653 was dead. It has been ruled necessary to implement the budget and therefore is not subject to the normal legislative cutoffs. The House of Representatives voted on HB 2653 on Tuesday. I voted for it and it passed the House with a vote of 86-12. The bill is now in the Senate and I am hopeful that they will pass it.

Once again thank you for sharing your views with me. I apologize that I sent you the wrong information.

Best Regards,

Representative Ruth Kagi

Chair, Early Learning and Human Services

32nd Legislative District

[email protected]

Check out my website here. You can also sign up for legislative updates here.