Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the vote to possibly extend this is happening next week?

It was on the list for Friday, but from looking at the bill it looks like it didn't happen (which is common - perhaps yesterday the legislators were too busy passing a rule to exempt themselves from the Public Records Act). So yes, I would expect a vote to happen next week.

Although note this vote is only for the House. It would still have to go through the Senate, where the vote may be closer. But if it makes it through there, this bill is a priority for the Governor so it is sure to get signed (and it has a clause that says it will take effect immediately). Then the exemption will expire on June 30 2021, regardless of the number of vehicles that qualify. There used to be different versions in the House and Senate, but they have been aligned. One big concern had been revenue impact, but the recent revenue forecast looked really good so that doesn't seem likely to be an issue.

I think the only thing that might derail it is if opponents mount strong opposition before the Senate vote. The money is coming out of he multi-model fund (the Governor's idea) so it will mean some less funding for buses, bikes, etc. If the bill is not passed, based on current sales rates the state estimates that the current exemption will expire on June 30 2018. (I believe that means they guess we will hit 7,500 cars in April, it will be officially reported on May 5, and then expires at the end of the following month).

The bill status is HERE.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kipp and UZJedi
It was on the list for Friday, but from looking at the bill it looks like it didn't happen (which is common). So yes, I would expect a vote to happen next week.

Although note this vote is only for the House. It would still have to go through the Senate, where the vote may be closer. But if it makes it through there, this bill is a priority for the Governor so it is sure to get signed. There used to be different versions in the House and Senate, but they were already aligned.

The bill status is HERE.

Thanks!

Did this fail? I just got an email back from my representative about it:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your message regarding HB 2653 concerning alternative fuel vehicle tax exemptions. I appreciate hearing about constituent’s concerns. Unfortunately, HB 2653 did not come up for a vote on the House floor in time for a required deadline, which means it is unlikely to pass this session. I will keep your thoughts in mind if this legislation is introduced in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Best Regards,

Representative Ruth Kagi

Chair, Early Learning and Human Services

32nd Legislative District

[email protected]

Check out my website here. You can also sign up for legislative updates here.

The Democrats control both houses so presumably it would be on them if it did not come up for a vote/out-of-committee.
If the D's and Inslee are serious about EVs then seems obvious to push this, especially with recent extra revenue forecast.

That doesn't sound good. Looks like I'll have to immediately order when my invite comes. Don't want to lose federal credit & state sales tax exemption (>$10k).

So frustrating considering the original write up supposedly had strong support and it passed the first vote on 1/31. I have no idea what our government does. How do bills just not get voted on once they reach and pass a certain stage.

Looks like that was from 1/29 though? Will have to watch when I have a free hour. So your take is that this bill is dead?
That is video of the transportation committee, which we already knew about. They gave it a thumbs up, but I'm not sure why it wasn't voted on recently, nor am I sure what that means for the fate of the bill. Perhaps it will get another chance next session?

Looks like HB 2653 finally passed the House this evening by an 86-12 margin. No idea if/when the Senate will take it up.

Well this is good news at least. One would think they would try to get this into effect by June 30th if they can get it all the way through.

Also, clearly not all government reps know what they are talking about based on the response the poster above got haha

Reactions: UZJedi
Looks like HB 2653 finally passed the House this evening by an 86-12 margin. No idea if/when the Senate will take it up.
What the heck, Ruth Kagi? With all due respect, it appears this representative was misinformed. Hopefully things move swiftly through the senate. Did hear back from my state senator. His only concern with the bill is that he wants legislation to make these tax breaks permanent and apply it to used vehicles too! Nice to hear at least one voice of enthusiastic support in the senate!