Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just wanted to add in my two bobs worth...

SR+ with FSD - 5YJ3F7EAXKF4880xx ordered 15/10 - been told 28/10 build and due Dec yet not sure why issues 'older' VIN

Plus several 4880xx VINs showing up across two vessels - one came 5 Oct, another due 8 Nov.. so not sure if things are what they seem...

btw no invoice, vin came up 24 Oct on day got called from peppers.. and was told things move fairly quickly once get call from peppers if financing.. yet still no formal invoice, build date

SR+ with FSD - 5YJ3F7EAXKF4880xx ordered 15/10 - been told 28/10 build and due Dec yet not sure why issues 'older' VIN

Plus several 4880xx VINs showing up across two vessels - one came 5 Oct, another due 8 Nov.. so not sure if things are what they seem...
Thanks. They don’t build the vin numbers sequentially. The actual production does not equal the planned production for weeks earlier. So it is common for vin ranges to be spread over a few days/weeks apart.

Last edited:

That looks a bit weird. Builds from 11 Oct are the L - 2020 vins. If it is a K vin, a December delivery date is likely anyway. Yours is more like a build Oct 3-5.

Tesla tell me that they are waiting for the factory to confirm shipping schedules for the rest of 2019, so the couldn't tell me the voyage number. You'd think a tech company would have better systems. All he would tell me is that they're expecting a December delivery for my LR AWD in Sydney.

also order for SR+ on website now says Feb! (same as Performance from weeks ago) (LR still comes up as Dec)
so guess that's no chance for any more new SR+ orders from today to get delivered this year

Let's hope Dec 2019 for those who have been told sticks .. otherwise tesla is the xmas scrooge

Tesla tell me that they are waiting for the factory to confirm shipping schedules for the rest of 2019, so the couldn't tell me the voyage number. You'd think a tech company would have better systems. All he would tell me is that they're expecting a December delivery for my LR AWD in Sydney.
The shipping schedules are set months in advance. This could mean it is not on a ship yet, and fresh out of the factory. The next ship arrives Oakland November 8. They get shipped to the port within 24 hours of coming out of the production line.

Got the call from the Brisbane team...mid Dec delivery, invoice will be sent in the next few days. I queried the delivery process and possible quality control issues. He said they wont notify customers of the exact delivery date until the vehicle has been sighted in Brisbane. This is apparently a new procedure implemented from the last deliveries.

Here is what I know

If you have an invoice with a October 3-5 build date, your car is arriving in Sydney this week (8th), or possibly next Friday (15th). Your car will be delivered 2-6 weeks after arrival after in-country logistics, and if any issues needing fixing.

If your car was built October 11, it will likely have a 2020 vin (L) arriving either next Friday (15th) or Nov (22nd). Same 2-6 week in logistics.

For the vins assigned today, it is still unclear which ship. The October 11 builds were hidden vin assigned before they left the US. If your cars were built yesterday, they will leave the US Sunday, and arrive December 13 and be delivered mostly after Xmas depending on where you are on the east coast. Now the ship may change to earlier, once some invoices get issued and evidence is received. It won’t be later than this date.

No car will want to be undelivered at the end of the US financial year. Tesla are trying to deliver a record 105,000 ish for the quarter to meet an annual target.

My advice is to firmly put your expectations at the end of December for all of you with vins. Last quarter, we had ships in bad weather, a near miss tornado in Auckland, shipping delays, 1500 batteries replaced, damaged cars to fix, chaos with the transporter companies, and extra staff hired at Tesla and detailers. It is less this quarter to be delivered, but it is shaping up as another quarter end rush. For those not on the east coast, hopefully you are in the early October builds.

The next step will be a delivery call, email with rego papers, and invoice, These are a few weeks away if you have not received already.

If you are still hidden vinless by the end of this week, this does not mean you don’t have a car on these ships. Some people just get a delivery call. It could also indicate 2020. But it will mean frustration until one pops up. Some people with reserrvations from 2016 are still waiting.

Any ideas how long it takes for an invoice to appear in your account? I got a hidden VIN early this morning and then a phone call from Tesla a couple of hours after confirming the VIN and also advising that they will generate the invoice. I thought that this might have appeared today but hasn't.

Any ideas how long it takes for an invoice to appear in your account? I got a hidden VIN early this morning and then a phone call from Tesla a couple of hours after confirming the VIN and also advising that they will generate the invoice. I thought that this might have appeared today but hasn't.

If you have had the call, the invoice comes with a couple of days normally.

Reactions: drex
Just a reminder having gone through the wait...the wait...the wait.

They are friggen amazing cars to drive. It's like you are 18 again, just got your licence and you look for an excuse to go for a drive...

"Hey honey, looks like we will run out of milk in 3 days. Ima just pop down to the shop now to get some more...the shop is 50k away kthx bye."

Can confirm. This is verifiably correct. 1000km in month 1, and I don’t commute by car.

I have a hidden VIN in the same range as you. So you don’t give the game away is your xx above 60 or below 50? I got my hidden VIN back on 16 Oct so interested to understand how many cars may have been in the earlier run before they split the VIN series.