Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting a month for a new Windshield??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, I have been waiting a month for a new windshield. I live in AZ and unfortunately we have a frequent rock chips. I have had 3 "chip repairs" in the last year, but finally had one crack badly, about 45 cm long and in front of my face. Are long waits normal on Tesla glass? Has anyone else had similar wait times? I have read other threads on long repair times, but a month for a windshield? Any aftermarket options??

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I’m at 7 weeks and just got a call yesterday that my new windshield came in. While my crack is on the passenger side so it’s not that noticeable when driving it’s very frustrating to wait so long. Safelite, my glass installer said they are the only company that individually delivers the glass in a wooden crate. Maybe they need to find out how other suppliers do it to speed up delivery.

• Informative
Literally been waiting almost two months for a new windshield... a few days ago, I got a call from the glass company saying it finally came in from Tesla. So I drove up to Seattle, dropped off the car and went to lunch. Got a call from the glas company to inform me that the windshield from Tesla was delivered damaged... wtf! Now I have to start the wait again! But yes, it is a problem trying to get a new windshield

• Informative
They come in a cardboard package, not wooden.

FYI it is possible to de-crate the windshield and stow it in rear of model S with seats down, with careful handling and supportive packing back there.

Local installer was cheap putting it in and excellent job. I think he bid low to get the job to say he does Teslas. Will go back there.

New windshield has more noticeable star burst pattern around lights at night, as compared to 2014 original.

Only Tesla makes these things, and yes glass shops hate working with Tesla for getting them and prefer you do the buying and arranging delivery yourself.

It costs about 300 to ship from Service Center to me 200 miles away, so I drove to get it and packed it home. Not recommended for the faint of heart or clumsy types.

New glass seems harder than original has taken many ooud rock hits and so far no cracks or goose eggs.

• Love
Reactions: croman
ALSO, if you live in a prone to break windshields area like me, why not just order a new one on spec that youll need a new one soon and store it in the box? Then you're not waiting once you reach your personal tolerance limit of cracks.

Even if you end up selling the car put the glass in if the old has any blems, its the first thing dealers do to resell cars.., clear glass, new tires, and around here they also repaint hoods to get rid of rock chips in paint. They have it down to a science.. or sell the new glass with the car, uninstalled. It's 700 value.

Reactions: GWord
Tesla has their own glass technology, and are developing new windshield formulations to hopefully make these issues a thing of the past.

They are the only ones to make their cars with total glass roofs. This greatly increases the headroom inside the car, will make the vehicles easier to manufacture and look fantastic. Visability in the Model X is fantastic. More like driving a motorhome than a SUV. First time driving it through the mountains or forests give you an appreciation for what they have done.

This new glass should first be introduced with the Tesla Truck. Truck windshield replacement is a major hassle for fleet owners. Due to the higher mileage the windshields need to be replaced every so often. They have announced a tougher, more shatter resistant windshield that objects just bounce off, rather than shattering. Every year truck drivers are killed by items smashing their windshields.

had to replace the wind shield recently (rock from the bed of a pick up truck) - took about a week for inventory, but at least my MS was driveable in the meantime. A few weeks later, someone shattered two side windows to rifle through my car in San Francisco. Car *not* driveable. It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for parts. $4k in repairs, plus having to rent a car for who knows how long. Insurance will cover some but not all of that, but it'd be nice if Tesla could speed things up so this sucks a little less.

Latest Update
Now going on 6 weeks!!! I called service center today and they said "sorry, glass is still back-ordered" No estimate on when glass is available. Suggested I contact my insurance about a loaner car!!! Seriously, they make 3 windshields?! I love my car, but this is making very nervous about the company and how they are going to handle service once Model 3's are more common?

They come in a cardboard package, not wooden.

FYI it is possible to de-crate the windshield and stow it in rear of model S with seats down, with careful handling and supportive packing back there.

Local installer was cheap putting it in and excellent job. I think he bid low to get the job to say he does Teslas. Will go back there.

New windshield has more noticeable star burst pattern around lights at night, as compared to 2014 original.

Only Tesla makes these things, and yes glass shops hate working with Tesla for getting them and prefer you do the buying and arranging delivery yourself.

It costs about 300 to ship from Service Center to me 200 miles away, so I drove to get it and packed it home. Not recommended for the faint of heart or clumsy types.

New glass seems harder than original has taken many ooud rock hits and so far no cracks or goose eggs.

I'm just quoting what my glass installer said about the wooden crate having never seen one shipped. I will have the opportunity to find out this Friday whether that's true or not.

As the title says, I have been waiting a month for a new windshield. I live in AZ and unfortunately we have a frequent rock chips. I have had 3 "chip repairs" in the last year, but finally had one crack badly, about 45 cm long and in front of my face. Are long waits normal on Tesla glass? Has anyone else had similar wait times? I have read other threads on long repair times, but a month for a windshield? Any aftermarket options??

Wow really? I had a windshield replaced within 1 week from Tesla.

• Informative
Literally been waiting almost two months for a new windshield... a few days ago, I got a call from the glass company saying it finally came in from Tesla. So I drove up to Seattle, dropped off the car and went to lunch. Got a call from the glas company to inform me that the windshield from Tesla was delivered damaged... wtf! Now I have to start the wait again! But yes, it is a problem trying to get a new windshield
Same for me! MS delivered mid-Dec with interior four inch vertical scratch on inside of windshield directly in driver line of sight. Deep enough that it glares at you on a sunny day. Still waiting.

• Informative