Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting at charge points for others to vacate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently sat, for some time now at Winchester charging station. How Dan you tell if another tesla user is fully charged but not returned to their vehicle? There are only two charging points here

Yes, the way to check if a car is done, is press the "open flap" button on the charge cord handle that is currently plugged into the car. You will not be able to remove the handle (locked) but this will light up the green ring around the charge port, even if the car is locked. If the ring is lit green (on solid) the car is done charging. If the ring is blinking, car is still charging.

Yes, the way to check if a car is done, is press the "open flap" button on the charge cord handle that is currently plugged into the car. You will not be able to remove the handle (locked) but this will light up the green ring around the charge port, even if the car is locked. If the ring is lit green (on solid) the car is done charging. If the ring is blinking, car is still charging.
I was afraid someone would mention this... PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!
  1. You shouldn't be touching someone else's car (OK, I get it, it's not the car), nor their charging handle by extension.
  2. Pressing the button temporarily interrupts/restarts charging, which has unintended consequences at Superchargers*
  3. And, as mentioned above, you don't need to know if the car is done charging. You can't do anything with that information (unless you have the owner's contact info or a key and permission to move the car). All that you can gain from the knowledge that a car is done charging is higher blood pressure.
  4. The owner may get a "stopped charging"/"started charging" notification, which can result in a pissed off owner coming over to find out what's going on with their car, why someone is messing with it, etc.
* - If you do this at a supercharging station that has both slots shared, you may (intentionally or not) swap the order of priority. The car whose button you pressed will drop to lower priority (if not already). There have been reports of people pulling into crowded superchargers, plugging into, and hitting the button on the paired car to "steal" priority and the corresponding higher charge rate. It's the ultimate d**k-head maneuver. Those who do it are subject to bad karma, getting their car keyed, or worse. Possibly deserved, IMHO.

Please don't touch another car's charging handle. Thanks.

I agree, there is no purpose in finding out if a car is done charging or not without the owner being there. 'Messing' with the handle and interrupting the charge doesn't help anyone. If the charger is taken, park next to it, leave your charge port open and leave a sign "Please plug me in", so when the other person leaves, they can connect you. It's a common thing here in our community and it works.

I would be a proponent of allowing anyone to remove the charge cable from my port if the car had reached its charge limit. I mean, why not? I find it odd that Tesla keeps the cable locked into the car even when charging is done. Other EV makers (Nissan, BMW..) allow the plug to be removed once charged.

The way most SC stations are configured that I've seen and used... all of them actually.. it doesn't really matter if you could remove the cable because another car can't park close enough to use the short cable. So that's a fail too. Some SC stations allow cars to pull up alongside both sides of the charging tower. Then, it would make sense to allow someone to remove the cable when the car was done so they could use it.

This is the next best thing:

If the charger is taken, park next to it, leave your charge port open and leave a sign "Please plug me in", so when the other person leaves, they can connect you. It's a common thing here in our community and it works.

[QUOTE="scottm, post: 2111107, member: 25876" I find it odd that Tesla keeps the cable locked into the car even when charging is done. Other EV makers (Nissan, BMW..) allow the plug to be removed once charged.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a good idea and could be easily done with via software. Once the car has finished charging, the lock releases and the charger can be used by someone else.
In most public charging spots this can be done. The EV plug doesn't lock in the adapter so this can be done already. Tesla just doesn't show when the charge is finished.

Reactions: dhrivnak
[QUOTE="scottm, post: 2111107, member: 25876" I find it odd that Tesla keeps the cable locked into the car even when charging is done. Other EV makers (Nissan, BMW..) allow the plug to be removed once charged.

That's actually a good idea and could be easily done with via software. Once the car has finished charging, the lock releases and the charger can be used by someone else.
In most public charging spots this can be done. The EV plug doesn't lock in the adapter so this can be done already. Tesla just doesn't show when the charge is finished.[/QUOTE]
As previously pointed out, because of the short cables, you would have to park your car on the sidewalk to get close enough to plug in at a SC with another car parked in the stall.

Chargepoint terminals will tell you if the vehicle is done charging, and/or how long the vehicle had been charging for. I have no qualms about unplugging a j1772 from another owner's adapter if a) the chargepoint station indicates no current is flowing or b) the time charging exceeds the parking lot's time limit.

Potential be prepared for a confrontation.

If it's a tesla charger (supercharger or destination charger) it's locked and there is nothing you can do besides get more pissed off.

I agree, there is no purpose in finding out if a car is done charging or not without the owner being there. 'Messing' with the handle and interrupting the charge doesn't help anyone. If the charger is taken, park next to it, leave your charge port open and leave a sign "Please plug me in", so when the other person leaves, they can connect you. It's a common thing here in our community and it works.
My charge port auto-closes :)

Sure you can unplug the cable when its done charging, but supercharger cables are super short. how are you going to use it for your car if the other car occupies the spot? The cable isn't long enough to reach an adjoining spot...

If there is room, you could park your car sideways across 2-3 spaces, to get your charge port close enough to plug in. But it might be a good idea to stay there with the car during the charging until the other person comes back and moves.