Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger 80A with 4 gage wiring.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2014 P85 and it has dual chargers. I am now installing the tesla wall charger.

I have been charging with adapter from my old EVSE (had Nissan Leaf before).

I want to the full 80amps. The instructions call for 3gage wire, however, my local HD and Lowe's only carry 2 or 4 gage. 4 is not enough (for coninuous 80 amps) so I bought 2.

Now, 2gage is very thick and hard to work with in the tiny Tesla box. I am considering using the rear extended box but it has 4gage built in wired. Wich defeats the whole point of me buying the 2 gage wires.

Now to my question. Can this short 4gage run handle the 80amps? Are these Tesla OEM that are rated for it? All I see printed on them is 4 gage 600 volts.

My electrical experience: I have done since electricsl work on my house, basics stuff like running new outlets and new lights. And if course I installed my old hardwired EVSE. I also installed my new pool pump with be wiring from the sub panel and a high/low switch.

Thank you for your input.

-Dennis

Great question. Very difficult to work with these large wires coming in from the back.
For what it is worth, I think I read here on the forum that the cable from the charger to the car is #6 or #8, so go figure.

Hopefully a real electrican will chime in.

You should not use 4. You can get away with it, probably, but it's not rated for pulling 80 amps continuous. I was in the same boat. My wall chargers are flush mounted on drywall, with the wiring in conduits behind the wall. 2g was too thick to deal with. I hunted around and found that my Lowe's had 3 gauge, which was properly rated and was just user friendly enough to bend as was needed.

You are referring to the wire thickness in the mobile charge cable. This is about the mounted wall connector, which has a much thicker cord. It's entirely unrelated.

I understand that this is about the wall-mounted charger. Perhaps when I read the spec someone was talking about the mobile charging cable instead of the wall mount.

I am curious though, what is the wire gauge from the wall charger to the car (or for that matter, the wire gauge from a supercharger to the car)?

Just as long as it's copper THW, THWN,
SE, USE, XHHW then you're fine with #3. If it's anything else, then you're not. i.e. NM-B requires #1 for a 100 amp breaker.
^---- Exactly!

Also note that the Wall Connector will only accept a max of #2 AWG, so #1 is not an option. Even at that, I have heard that landing #3 (or even worse #2) is REALLY difficult.

Oh, and they could use THHN wire too right? (as long as it did not need to be rated for wet locations) Most everything sold today is THHN/THWN-2 rated anyway right?

^---- Exactly!

Also note that the Wall Connector will only accept a max of #2 AWG, so #1 is not an option. Even at that, I have heard that landing #3 (or even worse #2) is REALLY difficult.

Oh, and they could use THHN wire too right? (as long as it did not need to be rated for wet locations) Most everything sold today is THHN/THWN-2 rated anyway right?
You could always use a junction box and pigtail #2 or #3 THHN into the actual wall connector from there.