Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector or 240V Charger adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, I am brand new to Tesla and EV's. I got my first model 3 long range last week and LOVE IT. However, I am still using the 110v charger that came with the car and am looking into upgrading my charging at home. Right now it's a painfully 24hr charge to get the car from about 50% to 90%.

I was looking at the wall connector but its 600 bucks and needs an electrician to install. OR for 45 dollars I could get an adapter and install just a 240V outlet in the garage and charge that way.

What are the benefits of charging with the expensive wall connector vs the mobile charger with a 240V plug?

Thanks in advance
Rob

I am getting a wall connector installed outside and maybe also a NEMA 14-50 outlet inside the garage in the next couple of weeks.

With the wall connector, you would be able to charge at 44mph whereas with a 14-50 it would charge at 30mph. If you go with the mobile connector, you will have to plug it and unplug it each time you get home if you want to keep it in the car with you. You would also need a high quality outlet if you don't already have one.

The answer is without a doubt, unequivocally a Tesla Wall Connector.

The 14-30/50 outlets are for people who have a hookup in their garage already as it then becomes cost effective. A lot of people who had Tesla's from the beginning opted for a 14-50 outlet bc the Tesla Wall Connector was ~$1,500 at the time and it made more sense due to the cost. Additionally, the older cars could also charge at 40 amps via a 14-50 outlet instead of the lower 32 amps on today's cars.

If you went the 14-50 route you would need an industrial grade, high quality (Hubbell) 14-50 outlet which is $100 plus the $45 adapter and now your mobile connector is in use and can't be kept in your car for road trips. You also may need an expensive GFCI breaker per NEC code depending on your state.

If you wanted a cheaper 240v option, get a NEMA 6-20 adapter ($35) and a Hubbell 6-20 outlet ($25). Charge is about 15-16 mph but that is adequate for most.

But again, the correct answer is the Tesla Wall Connector as in the end it is the safest, easiest, most hassle free option and the cost difference is negligible.

Last edited:
Here's tables showing charge rates using a wall connector (at various amperages) vs. using the mobile connector with various NEMA adapters:

TeslaWallConnectorChargeRates.jpg

TeslaMobileConnectorChargeRates.jpg

@RayK posted the chart but OP if you are having difficulty deciphering it:

Max charge speed for a LR model 3 on a wall connector = 60amp circuit, 48amp charging = approx 44 miles per hour range restored per hour

Max charge speed for the same vehicle using the mobile connector = 32amps = approx 30 miles per hour range restored per hour

Standard wall plug = (5-15) = 5-6 miles per hour range restored per hour in same car (not 3 as noted above)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m also awaiting delivery of my 3SR+ and in contact with my electrician. I’m thinking of adding a nema 14-50 on 50 amps in my garage and possibly plugging in a wall charger to it later. I wasn’t aware that they make wall chargers now that can plug directly to a nema outlet. What do you guys think ?

I’m also awaiting delivery of my 3SR+ and in contact with my electrician. I’m thinking of adding a nema 14-50 on 50 amps in my garage and possibly plugging in a wall charger to it later. I wasn’t aware that they make wall chargers now that can plug directly to a nema outlet. What do you guys think ?
If you want a permanent solution, get a wall connector. If you get a nema 14-50 you’ll have to keep plugging and unplugging the mobile connector if you want to keep it in the car when you leave.

If you decide to buy a mobile connector to leave at home, it costs nearly the same as a wall connector.

Reactions: Thp3 and Jeremy3292
If you have the skills to "...install just a 240V outlet..." you also have the skills to install a dedicated wall charger. Sure, its less expensive to use the charger which comes with the car. Convenience is another part of the decision process. Like you, I wasn't sure the extra cost of a dedicated wall charger was worth it. But after a few weeks I got the courage to learn how to install a 60a circuit, after watching DIY videos. I did everything to code, learned a lot, and used labor savings from the DIY install to pay for the Tesla HPWC. Enjoy your new Tesla and welcome to the club.

Reactions: MayorSexyTown
There is no Tesla wall connector that is a plug in to an outlet. It is hard wired.

The mobile connector has different adapters that can be plugged into various outlets.

If you want a permanent solution, get a wall connector. If you get a nema 14-50 you’ll have to keep plugging and unplugging the mobile connector if you want to keep it in the car when you leave.

If you decide to buy a mobile connector to leave at home, it costs nearly the same as a wall connector.
But, if you have two mobile connectors, leaving one in the car and one one wall, you always can swap them to charge if the one on the wall starts giving a problem. Helps to have the flexibility to try another MC to determine if its MC or car when (not if) a charging problem occurs.

My thinking is I’ll start with the Tesla adapter plugged into the 15-40 which should give me at least 30 miles an hour and at some point I can add any wall charger because there’s many out there that are plug-ins. Also easier to just unplug if you ever have any warranty issues with it.

I went with both. I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet wired in my garage, and I hooked it up to a non-Tesla EVSE (ChargePoint Home Flex). I did that because I don't want to have to worry about swapping out a Tesla Wall Connector or finding some janky Tesla to J1772 adapter later when I buy a non-Tesla EV down the road (instead, I use the Tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter that comes with the car). Having the 14-50 outlet also means that I can unplug my EVSE if needed (e.g., if it breaks) and use the Tesla Mobile Connector or any other charger with a 14-50 plug (which is what most of them have) to charge my vehicle(s). It's marginally more expensive than hard-wiring the Tesla Wall Connector (or hard-wiring some other EVSE), and it can only charge at up to 40amps in this configuration, but the cost difference is negligible and 40amp L2 charging adds about 10% of charge per hour on my M3 LR, which is plenty fast.

Reactions: davewill
I went with both. I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet wired in my garage, and I hooked it up to a non-Tesla EVSE (ChargePoint Home Flex). I did that because I don't want to have to worry about swapping out a Tesla Wall Connector or finding some janky Tesla to J1772 adapter later when I buy a non-Tesla EV down the road (instead, I use the Tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter that comes with the car). Having the 14-50 outlet also means that I can unplug my EVSE if needed (e.g., if it breaks) and use the Tesla Mobile Connector or any other charger with a 14-50 plug (which is what most of them have) to charge my vehicle(s). It's marginally more expensive than hard-wiring the Tesla Wall Connector (or hard-wiring some other EVSE), and it can only charge at up to 40amps in this configuration, but the cost difference is negligible and 40amp L2 charging adds about 10% of charge per hour on my M3 LR, which is plenty fast.
Right on !!