Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector vs 14-50R Outlet Plus Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks mostly right then, except the $45 Tesla plug adapter for your cable wouldn't be part of the tax credit. That's only for what you install in your house.
Thanks for that clarification.
So that adds an additional 13.50 to the outlet option bringing the difference down to just 136.30.

For 136 bucks more I definitely like the Wall Connector option. Not to mention it looks pretty cool and I can mount it outside if I want. I’m sold. Thanks all.

Thanks for that clarification.
So that adds an additional 13.50 to the outlet option bringing the difference down to just 136.30.

For 136 bucks more I definitely like the Wall Connector option. Not to mention it looks pretty cool and I can mount it outside if I want. I’m sold. Thanks all.
Just to note, it's 30% tax credit up to $1000. I also got a $300 rebate from my power company for installing it with EV charging prices paying a penny per kW during super-off-peak hours (11PM - 7AM). Because of off-peak hours, I got the fastest charging I could get and schedule my Tesla schedule charging at 11PM. I'd also check if there are any additional incentives in your area.

Plus, with the wall connector with a 60A connection (48A charge), you charge 20% faster compared to using the mobile connector with 14-50 (40A charge).

I went with the wall connector because I put in reservation for the cybertruck.

Last edited:
Reactions: zpaul and rjpjnk
Plus, with the wall connector with a 60A connection (48A charge), you charge 20% faster compared to using the mobile connector with 14-50 (40A charge).
Actually the current mobile connector only charges at 32A, so it's 50% faster. The older version of the mobile connector can do 40A (maybe you meant that one). Corded Mobile Connector but it costs $520, more than the wall connector...

My approach is to plug a HPWC in to a 14-50 using a pigtail connector. Best of both options IMO

Is the 14-50 receptacle installed inside a garage? Same issue, if outdoors, the 14-50 receptacle and plug are not weather rated.

I recently was informed that the NEC does not permit adding a power plug pigtail to equipment that is designed to be hard wired. Users have done this mod without regard to code. EVSE that are designed with a power plug have a thermal sensor in the molded plug. Is there a working thermal sensor to in the range cord?

Last edited:
Is the 14-50 receptacle installed inside a garage? Same issue, if outdoors, the 14-50 receptacle and plug are not weather rated.

I recently was informed that the NEC does not permit adding a power plug pigtail to equipment that is designed to be hard wired. Users have done this mod without regard to code. EVSE that are designed with a power plug have a thermal sensor in the molded plug. Is there a working thermal sensor to in the range cord?
I have this mounted outside at a farm house and it works great.

I have this mounted outside at a farm house and it works great.
From the photo that outlet cover won't close when the power plug is installed in the receptacle. (The description accurately identifies the product as a temporary RV power outlet.)

I would probably choose one like this cover: https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Weatherproof-Electrical-Receptacle-Generator/dp/B07ZYG1QLX/

One downside I see is the bottom opening, while enabling passing the power plug pigtail connector, would also allow pests such as yellow jacket wasps with a way inside the cover.

Reactions: Watts_Up
From the photo that outlet cover won't close when the power plug is installed in the receptacle. (The description accurately identifies the product as a temporary RV power outlet.)

I would probably choose one like this cover: https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Weatherproof-Electrical-Receptacle-Generator/dp/B07ZYG1QLX/

One downside I see is the bottom opening, while enabling passing the power plug pigtail connector, would also allow pests such as yellow jacket wasps with a way inside the cover.
The outlet cover does close with the power cord plugged in.

However, that Miady one looks really good and sturdy.

I bought mine at home depot so that I could easily return it if it did not work out.

I bought one at Lowes that did not work. It did not have a knock out hole on the back.

Now all I can think of is the outlet scene from "Two Bad Ants" by Chris van Allsburg!

It's inside a garage.

Can you post a link to that code? First I've heard of this. There's many install examples with this setup.

Can you elaborate on the thermal sensor? I don't see how this would be any different than a 6/3 wire.

Thanks

It's inside a garage.

Can you post a link to that code? First I've heard of this. There's many install examples with this setup.

Can you elaborate on the thermal sensor? I don't see how this would be any different than a 6/3 wire.

Thanks
You can add or replace a plug on a piece of equipment and most of the time time nothing bad will happen.

Sorry, I don't have a link. Perhaps someone has the specific section of the NEC that prohibits adding a power plug to equipment that is designed by the manufacturer to be hard wired. (I believe it was Rocky_H who provided this information in a different thread.)

As far as a thermal sensor, check with any EVSE manufacturer, i.e. ClipperCreek. If the EVSE has a power plug there is a thermal sensor molded into the plug head. The sensor is wired to the EVSE controller board. The EVSE will stop charging if the plug gets too warm before the insulation in the plug starts to melt. Plugs can get dangerously warm due to a loose fit with the receptacle, dirt and corrosion (this is not an issue with a hard wired connection.)

Last edited:
I had other EV's before the Y and therefore have a 14-50 outlet in my garage and a 32 amp Mobile J1772 EVSE (Mustart) which I also use with the Tesla (using the little adapter). Works perfect (30 miles/hour) for my needs. My total cost originally was $299 + $40 for outlet, conduit and 3 feet of wire (my breaker box is in the garage and 14-50 outlet right beside it). I've been using that setup for 2 years on our other 2 EV's and now with the Tesla. No issues..

I had other EV's before the Y and therefore have a 14-50 outlet in my garage and a 32 amp Mobile J1772 EVSE (Mustart) which I also use with the Tesla (using the little adapter). Works perfect (30 miles/hour) for my needs. My total cost originally was $299 + $40 for outlet, conduit and 3 feet of wire (my breaker box is in the garage and 14-50 outlet right beside it). I've been using that setup for 2 years on our other 2 EV's and now with the Tesla. No issues..
I have a similar setup; 14-50R inside my garage with an AmazingE Fast 32 amp EVSE. I purchased the Tesla NEMA 14-50 plug adapter ($45) from the Tesla store. I originally intended to charge my Model Y using the Tesla Mobile Connector and the 14-50 plug adapter but the 18 ft charging cord on the Mobile Connector is too short for my needs. So my Mobile Connector w/14-50 plug adapter is now a backup in case the AmazingE EVSE stops working.

Reactions: FloridaSun
I'm expecting my MY soon and have been thinking about installing a 14-50 in my garage. The breaker panel is directly in front of my car, so I should be able to get the outlet installed directly next to the panel.
After reading this thread and others, I see that some folks have had major issues with their outlets overheating/catching fire/melting...
Are there any specific things I should tell the electrician that installs it? Is there a certain type of 14-50 that is best for EV vehicles?

I'm expecting my MY soon and have been thinking about installing a 14-50 in my garage. The breaker panel is directly in front of my car, so I should be able to get the outlet installed directly next to the panel.
After reading this thread and others, I see that some folks have had major issues with their outlets overheating/catching fire/melting...
Are there any specific things I should tell the electrician that installs it? Is there a certain type of 14-50 that is best for EV vehicles?
Outlets that overheat are either old and worn out causing the plug to not make a tight connection or else improperly wired. (For a standard 120V/15A receptacle always use the screw down terminals and not the push in connections on the back of the receptacle.) A NEMA 14-50R is rated for 50A so everything including the wire is designed for a up to 50A load. Don't use a cheap NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The recommended manufacturers are Hubbell, Bryant and Cooper. Even though the circuit and the receptacle is rated for 50A when charging an EV the rule is 80% of the rated load, so 40A. Even then, the Tesla Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla vehicle is capable of a maximum of 32A when used with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter.

Be aware that if you install the receptacle at the back of the garage the charging cord of the Tesla Mobile Connector and also the Tesla Wall Connector is only 18.5 feet long and may not reach the charging port located on the left rear quarter panel of the Tesla vehicle by the tail light. A better location for the receptacle would be on the side wall of the garage on the side where you plan to park the Tesla and charge, closer to the garage door so the charging cord can reach the charging port.

Plan B:
86.00 14-50R Hubble quality outlet and box
219.00 50ft 6/3 wire (14-50R requires neutral)
100.00 50a GFCI breaker
45.00 14-50 Tesla adapter cable
= 450.00 -30% = 315.00
I've been charging my RAV4EV, my Model Ses and a 3 now for almost ten years, always on a 14-50 outlet, NEVER with a GFCI breaker. Not because it costs $100, but because I felt it was unnecessary. As my garage is dry all the time, I don't see the need. I use the supplied charge cable, and when going on vacation I unplug it. NEVER have I felt that my unplugging caused excessive wear on the outlet or the plug, and never have I found any cable warmth when charging. I did wire using 6-3 w/ground, but I also doubt that I used any specialty outlet. For such little use, I can't see the reasoning, other than some people just need to feel they've done all they can, beyond any basis in reality.

I suspect Plan C would do the job just as well as Plan B.