Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washed my car and the windshield cracked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious how good glass coverage would be via Tesla-branded auto insurance. This will definitely play a large factor when considering insurance options.

It would be hard for Tesla to compete when bundling auto & home with other insurers.

Tesla needs to come out with ludicrous polycarbonate windshield with some bulletproof qualities. I’d be up for that upgrade.

This is a replacement windshield that was replaced at a service center because the body shop scratched the factory windshield. (They actually scratched every single piece of glass on the car fixing delivery defects and every single piece of glass had to be replaced.)

It looks like there may be a little spec the size of a pencil tip in the crack towards the top of it.

I am wondering if their installation had the glass under stress. Never heard of a windshield on a car with 4k miles on it cracking so easily.

This same thing happened to me...thought I was the only unlucky one. Which body shop performed the repair work?

I just got my windows replaced last week - windshield is set to get replaced next Friday.

Most insurances offer a separate glass policy. It's usually a very inexpensive option.
I have Allstate. They said all I could do was lower comprehensive to $0 deductible for I think around $60 every 6 months (2 vehicles with comp on my policy). Allstate's rates went up over $200 (for 6 months) on the Model 3 for my next renewal saying they found the car costs more to repair than they previously estimated now that they have more data. Guess it's time to shop around because they were already higher than others before the price hike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glamisduner
Update :
I found a company who just received a few windshields for the M3. They say that they order always more than they need since it is common to receive a few broken one !
Anyhow, i am very lucky since it will be replaced tomorrow morning, and i found out about the crack yesterday. It is good that I didn't have to wait for Montreal service center to help me.
500$ deductible for me. 1835 cad plus tax. total

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
It looks like Tesla sent a few. We are lucky...
I am just wondering. I notice that the impact on my windshield is right at the top. There are no protection at this place. I looked at other cars, and some have some rubber protection at the same spot. I wonder if it makes a difference ?
Anybody knows ?

Maybe the issue is that the edge of the glass is exposed on the Model 3? Most cars have some trim to cover the edge of the glass.
Now I’m thinking I should tape the edges of all my glass...
Or maybe not. I just noticed the other day that my roof cracked but clearly something hit it and not on the edge. I’m going to see if it’s repairable. Probably not going to replace it if it’s not.
22D525C5-31B2-4C0D-9F2B-FF9D04621D10.jpeg

Took the car to service today. They said even though the pit was less than 1mm, since it was inline with the crack, that is what they assume is the root cause, so I gotta hand them a grand when I pick it up tomorrow. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence particularly driving on the interstate.