Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I'm aware of and I agree with your post 100%. The only reason I can think of for Tesla wanting to use something like a Navigon database instead of an internet based system is in case the car loses connectivity it would stop functioning but that can be solved the way Google did it by allowing the user to download various locations to the device.
That may work for your home town but not when driving in remote areas. You don't know when you're going to lose connectivity until you do.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Not that I'm aware of and I agree with your post 100%. The only reason I can think of for Tesla wanting to use something like a Navigon database instead of an internet based system is in case the car loses connectivity it would stop functioning but that can be solved the way Google did it by allowing the user to download various locations to the device.
I agree also, with a single point of difference. I think there is a need for a complete semi-continuous base data update with real-time traffic etc updated online. Just as with operating outside of cellular data coverage (quite common worldwide on highways) we will always need base mapping data, supplemented with real-time changes when available. Anybody who now uses Waze on trips ( I do regularly in four countries) is accustomed to data outages.

The complexity of Navigon/Google Maps/Google Waze/Tesla definitely causes more bureaucratic problems than technical ones but still this is not simple to resolve. At least one company, Ubar, seems to have largely resolved these issues with their own proprietary solution, although it also has some deficiencies.

At a minimum we ought to have user-defined waypoints, user-programmable offline route planning that will download to the car and a host of other such things that would make Tesla Navigation much more usable even before the bureaucratic/ technical issues have been resolves for near-real-time Waze integration.

This seems fairly uncomplicated to me. A, I missing something?

Reactions: msnow
?..For big cities WAZE is super useful... Having my phone mounted on my dashboard is not ideal. Even with a 6" screen it's still not big enough.
FWIW, driving in Rio de Janeiro Waze is crucial to timely arrival. The vast majority of professional drivers use Waze there (every day it seems we are almost all Royalty) so traffic conditions, police traffic stops (sobriety and document checks) and sudden road closures are almost instant. Almost every large city seems like that to me regardless of the country. However, once leaving urban areas it seems to work well only on major routes full of professional drivers.

In sum, Waze seems to me to be driven almost entirely by regular route-based drivers especially taxi, delivery and other similar types. Leisure drivers do not seem to me to typically contribute very much proportionately.

Is that accurate reasoning?

I personally think that releasing any sort of SDK or integrating apps into the Tesla UI in a custom manner is the wrong way to go. Tesla really needs to implement Android Auto and CarPlay. Then adding Waze or Google Maps (or any other supported app) would use that interface. Developing custom mapping applications and Integrating third party apps into the Tesla system is a monumental waste of Tesla engineering time.

Reactions: Mattzilla
they would have to allow you to download your entire route locally to the car for this to make sense

I haven't checked, but it seems to me that Waze must be doing this. Rural mobile data coverage here is patchy, so I must go through plenty of barren spots, without being aware of it, but Waze continues to give me route guidance, and displaying a map. I suppose I lose updates about the road conditions ahead, until I regain a cellular data signal.

I personally think that releasing any sort of SDK or integrating apps into the Tesla UI in a custom manner is the wrong way to go. Tesla really needs to implement Android Auto and CarPlay. Then adding Waze or Google Maps (or any other supported app) would use that interface. Developing custom mapping applications and Integrating third party apps into the Tesla system is a monumental waste of Tesla engineering time.

I would prefer Waze integration directly in the car so it can use the car GPS and 3G/LTE data connection. If I'm not mistaken a CarPlay or Android Auto solution would use the phone GPS and data connection which is really not ideal if your traveling out of your home country and your phone is roaming.

I haven't checked, but it seems to me that Waze must be doing this. Rural mobile data coverage here is patchy, so I must go through plenty of barren spots, without being aware of it, but Waze continues to give me route guidance, and displaying a map. I suppose I lose updates about the road conditions ahead, until I regain a cellular data signal.

It does download something. I was in a rural area. Had directions without connectivity. Missed a turn and it had no information about the street I was on. This was about a year ago.

I don't want to get too excite about this. We first heard about the 100D in March, the code is already in Jason Hughes' S85, but still no 100kWh as of now.

I have been using iPhone since iPhone4, if Tesla decided to use Android Auto, I will ditch my iPhone and switch to an Android phone.

Two entirely different databases and providers so that makes sense.

Makes sense, but doesn't make "sense". It's a terrible UI, and a horrible user experience. Normal people are not going to care about why the maps don't match - they're just going to think their car's nav is broken. Does anyone have insight into why Tesla went with two separate providers for GPS mapping / Nav? Was it a contractual/money thing?

Makes sense, but doesn't make "sense". It's a terrible UI, and a horrible user experience. Normal people are not going to care about why the maps don't match - they're just going to think their car's nav is broken. Does anyone have insight into why Tesla went with two separate providers for GPS mapping / Nav? Was it a contractual/money thing?
NAV sucks period.

Reactions: redevries
Considering the car does not have Google's newer vector based maps, my guess is that it's a licensing/money thing. Tesla either has an existing, lower cost license, or maybe none is even required, since they're just using a web browser and it was the easiest way to throw up a big realtime map on the screen. But you can't get Google turn by turn directions through a web browser, so they would no doubt have to pay Google, or implement Car Play or Android Auto to get that. Hence, why for the instrument cluster and turn by turn directions, they use a more common auto map database.

On the positive side, so many cars have terrible systems, but NO other cars get over the air software updates where we might actually have a hope of getting something better in the future. Here's hoping they overhaul this one way or another with v8, presumably before or in time for the Model 3 launch. And if it comes sooner, all the better!

Considering the car does not have Google's newer vector based maps, my guess is that it's a licensing/money thing. Tesla either has an existing, lower cost license, or maybe none is even required, since they're just using a web browser and it was the easiest way to throw up a big realtime map on the screen. But you can't get Google turn by turn directions through a web browser, so they would no doubt have to pay Google, or implement Car Play or Android Auto to get that. Hence, why for the instrument cluster and turn by turn directions, they use a more common auto map database.

On the positive side, so many cars have terrible systems, but NO other cars get over the air software updates where we might actually have a hope of getting something better in the future. Here's hoping they overhaul this one way or another with v8, presumably before or in time for the Model 3 launch. And if it comes sooner, all the better!
It's hokey. Navigon overlay on top of google maps and the DB is woefully out of date.

Note that Apple is keeping navigation/mapping apps out of CarPlay at the moment, except for its own Apple Maps. No waze. No google maps. No tomtom. etc.

http://www.carplaylife.com/feature/will-google-maps-coming-to-carplay/

Other than the addition of the charger list and (beta) Trip Planner, the navigation software is technology that was likely developed in 2011 (or earlier), for use with the first production Model S cars 4 years ago.

Even if Tesla sticks with the (Frankenstein's monster) Franken-Nav system we have now, they could push the map updates more frequently, and minimize problems when roads are changed or added.

Yesterday, I drove on a new highway that was opened earlier this year - and the poor nav software spent 20 minutes continually trying to re-route through the nearest surface streets - because while the Google maps display showed the new road (including real-time traffic), the navigation map on the dashboard showed the car driving in a blank area on the map.

As "early adopters", Tesla owners spending $100K+ have been pretty tolerant of the navigation software's "features". Will the Model 3 owners be as understanding???

8.0 might offer some relief:

What will likely be perceived as the most noticeable change for Model S and X owners is the redesign of the map and navigation interface. It features an important refresh of the ‘turn list’ or actions required and a new routing based on energy capacity. The navigation and route planner can now also suggest alternative routes to avoid tolls and use different Supercharger locations.

Source: Exclusive on Tesla 8.0 update: new Autopilot features, biggest UI refresh since launch and much more