Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just use Waze and Spotify on my phone connecting to the Music app's Phone Tab. Spotify on the Phone tab shows song cover, song name, and have control for pause/next/previous songs. Waze came thru speaker, and I have the Tesla map on top half to see the map. It is not good as having Waze app but better than nothing.

I think if I am on a trip, Tesla app is good enough, but Waze is for my day to day commute. I have a 130 miles commute in Los Angeles and without Waze instant re-route and traffic, I will be spending many more hours per year in traffic.

Reactions: RedXowner
Just use this website in your in car browser to view reported incidents. Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information It doesn't map, just use common sense.
I always run Waze on the main display screen ... the best app for traffic, construction, and police activity :cool:
upload_2017-12-22_11-10-26.png

Reactions: Cowby
I find it curious as Google owns Waze, and the main display map is Google...
Apparently the map used for the actual navigation and the data on traffic is not from Google, but from another source (Navigon, I think). the navigation is merely displayed on the Google map -- So Google is not supplying the navigation logic or traffic data used for computing. Presumably price is the reason.

Reactions: travis010
Any idea why Tesla decided to go with the Navigation system they did, instead of Waze, which is far superior and uses other Waze users that are logged on to give instant updates on traffic conditions to recommend better routing, etc???
I just tried to use Waze with my Model Y. Coming home from a restaurant for a short distance on a fairly direct route, the app twice tried to get me to take side streets that were obviously not the best route. I will continue to investigate Waze, but so far it seems to be inferior to the native Tesla guidance.

Waze running on your phone (as it was originally designed to do by the developers in Israel) is hands down the best automobile navigation app that has ever been produced. Cars that offer Apple Play make this the go to app for anyone with that capability. The Tesla app is obviously the best for doing trip planning using superchargers, but for daily commuting to and from work, Waze is the man.

I just tried to use Waze with my Model Y. Coming home from a restaurant for a short distance on a fairly direct route, the app twice tried to get me to take side streets that were obviously not the best route. I will continue to investigate Waze, but so far it seems to be inferior to the native Tesla guidance.
If there is no traffic, accident or construction or police, Tesla beats Waze. Waze will try to shave off even 1 minute off your drive and made you do things like left turn from a side street into to main street that does not have a signal. Waze would tell you to take the freeway interchange to the other direction and then take the first exit and go back the other way to save off 1 or 2 minutes. Tesla routing will never do anything like that. Having said that, for the 5+ years I have used Waze, I have yet to see a police trap ahead that I have not seen coming on Waze on the freeway. On a longer trip like 1+ hour, Tesla's estimated time is always higher than Waze. The actually time of arrival is usually dead in between Tesla's and Waze's.

If there is no traffic, accident or construction or police, Tesla beats Waze. Waze will try to shave off even 1 minute off your drive and made you do things like left turn from a side street into to main street that does not have a signal. Waze would tell you to take the freeway interchange to the other direction and then take the first exit and go back the other way to save off 1 or 2 minutes. Tesla routing will never do anything like that. Having said that, for the 5+ years I have used Waze, I have yet to see a police trap ahead that I have not seen coming on Waze on the freeway. On a longer trip like 1+ hour, Tesla's estimated time is always higher than Waze. The actually time of arrival is usually dead in between Tesla's and Waze's.
I think there may be a bit of confusion here... hope this helps. ;)
  • Tesla Waze is best used on the main screen web browser for traffic, construction, and police activity.
  • Tesla Navigation is best used for real-time routing and planning for trips and supercharger destinations.
  • You can run both Waze and Navigation simultaneously while driving for maximum situational awareness.
1624580521775.png

Reactions: EV3_
The above situation only works if your car will download and keep current the Tesla Waze map. Where I live and use my Premium Connectivity plan, I can't get the Tesla Waze map to appear and stay current with regularity. And I'm not sure, in my case, I want to use two different mapping screens to navigate. That doesn't seem user friendly or as safe as it could be if everything were rolled up into one app. I will continue to use Waze on my phone as my navigation app except for navigating to supercharger stations and long trip route planning that requires superchargers.

The above situation only works if your car will download and keep current the Tesla Waze map. Where I live and use my Premium Connectivity plan, I can't get the Tesla Waze map to appear and stay current with regularity. And I'm not sure, in my case, I want to use two different mapping screens to navigate. That doesn't seem user friendly or as safe as it could be if everything were rolled up into one app. I will continue to use Waze on my phone as my navigation app except for navigating to supercharger stations and long trip route planning that requires superchargers.
In my state, the rules were changed last year, that the driver of the car is now not allowed to touch or hold a smartphone or navigation device, unless fully parked. Can't even hold it waiting for a traffic light. It's okay to talk on the phone as long as you are totally handsfree.

Reactions: FlatSix911