Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor We designed a better phone dock for the Model S & X. Here's how, and why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

skyline

Former Vendor
May 7, 2017
Chicago
First, we would just like to say hello to the TMC community!

I’m Joe from Skyline, and we design, develop, and make aftermarket accessories for Tesla vehicles. We are excited to become more involved with the TMC community, and hope you enjoy checking out some of the cool stuff we are working on!

Our first project for the Tesla aftermarket is focused on phone charging. We love the fact that there is a factory charging dock in the Model S and X, but we quickly realized there was room for improvement. We heard from many people that they simply do not use the charging dock because it requires them to remove their phone case every time they want to use it.

Factory Dock 2.jpg

The factory Model S and X integrated center console phone dock.

We think it would be a lot better if you could use the dock without having to remove your case every time you want to charge your phone. The problem behind this issue is that many cases add an extra few millimeters of thickness around the connector port. While this usually does not cause any issues if you are charging with a cable, it can become problematic for docks that are not designed for this extra thickness. This is exactly the problem that occurs in the factory center console dock design.

Original Dock GIF.gif

No dice. The case thickness prevents the cable from fully connecting.

We began our design process with a few goals in mind. We wanted to make a dock that would allow charging with a case, while also maintaining the original aesthetic. We also wanted to make sure that our design would not require any modifications (cutting, gluing, etc.) to the car. We created a 3D CAD environment of the console, and began modeling our concepts.

CAD Environment 1.jpg

3D CAD for the console charger environment.
After many iterations, several dozen prototypes, and lots of testing, we finally produced a design that met all of our goals. We had designed a mechanism to automatically adapt to cases, while maintaining the OEM look, and requiring no modifications to install! Our auto-adjusting base will adapt to a phone case, using a spring mechanism to expose the exact amount of the charging connector that is required.

Skyline Dock GIF.gif

Skyline auto-adjusting phone dock - case friendly!

Dock1R.jpg

Skyline Tesla Dock 1.jpg

If you would like more info, please feel free to contact me here, or at [email protected]!

We are offering a special Black Friday discount on our products for Tesla Motors Club members, starting now and lasting until Monday! Please use discount code TMCBF17 when ordering to save an additional $5 off our sale price!

The auto-adjusting phone dock for Tesla Model S/X is available now, and we have a case-friendly USB-C version available as well!

Lightning/Micro-USB Skyline Dock - Order Here

Case-friendly USB-C Skyline Dock - Order Here

We are working on many new Tesla accessories, and we are excited to also start working on some products for Model 3 as well! If you are interested in staying updated on our products, sign up for email updates on our site and we will keep you posted on our latest creations!

Thank you!

Joe
Skyline

Is the plug set a bit farther forward as well? The back of my case is thick enough to make that an issue. Also would be nice to get side pieces made with a little more room, or even a similar spring-loaded action.

The plug is in basically the same position, but the whole dock can be adjusted forward in order to account for this (just loosen the 2 mounting screws a bit, and slide the dock forward on its tracks). This will give you a bit more space between the connector and the back rest.

As for the side guide pieces, this is actually something we are currently finishing a design for, and we hope to have it ready next month! It will be a spring-loaded mechanism as well, just as you mentioned. This will allow you to insert different size phones and cases without having to switch out the side inserts.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Looks really good, Awesome job! I’d probably go for some side guides since I already bought the Tesla one. Just replaced the Tesla 90 degree lightning cable with an straight one to push the connector up further to connect properly, but yours is better!

Attachments

• 4B359C54-599B-4424-B6D5-74E602765E26.jpeg
    4B359C54-599B-4424-B6D5-74E602765E26.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 91E66F1E-836C-4E11-8894-FFAD584D4E3B.jpeg
    91E66F1E-836C-4E11-8894-FFAD584D4E3B.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 95AC6459-1804-4EDD-905B-BC1344A41497.jpeg
    95AC6459-1804-4EDD-905B-BC1344A41497.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 313
  • B329B7C6-F747-416E-ADB2-4C1FA541B873.jpeg
    B329B7C6-F747-416E-ADB2-4C1FA541B873.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 3B74E280-20F7-4108-A23F-4D3DCF5D8913.jpeg
    3B74E280-20F7-4108-A23F-4D3DCF5D8913.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 313
I just went to their web page - it states specifically that their product does not fit older models. They know this, but did not state this on inquiry? Oversite or intentional?
I don't think they're trying to deceive; they're just not answering if they'll be making a product for first gen center consoles. Oversite there, perhaps. But probably intentional, because the task is MONUMENTAL! :rolleyes: