Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We survived a HORRIBLE accident thanks to our Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to sidetrack this thread but can someone explain this to me? I've seen it referenced here a few times already.
Yeah, sorry. :oops: Didn't mean to leave out those who haven't happened to read that thread I was referring to.

Thanks for finding that. :)

In a nutshell, if you don't like reading long threads to get the gist: crazy anti-EV guy from another country (doesn't matter which one, people from there are amazing generally) files, like, dozens of fake Model S suspension problems with the NHTSA using any random Model S smash-up photos he can find from real accidents that had absolutely nothing to do with a failure of the car in any way.

As requested, just wanted to update this story on a positive note. Last week I took delivery of the fastest ship in the galaxy. She is an incredible machine and I can only describe the acceleration as both exhilarating and mind bending.

Its been a long journey since my accident, but well worth the wait and troubles I've been through. Thanks to everyone for your support and camaraderie along the way! I have no doubt in my mind that my decision to purchase my first Tesla saved our lives.

After the accident, Tesla was amazing and provided me with a P85 loaner after my ICE rental ran out. As stated in my initial post, I would again not hesitate to purchase another Tesla, if only for the safety features alone.

See you guys around this awesome community.

-Still grinning (and living!)

P100D1.1.jpg
P100D.2.jpg
P100D.3.jpg

Here's an interesting question: is a safer, more crumple-able car not only safer for the occupants but also for a car hitting it?

The fact that the Model S has a larger crumble zone does not imply that the car as a whole is more crumple-able.

In fact, the Model S is extremely stiff (it broke the DOT testing machine that was supposed to make its roof cave in and the battery compartment/floor is a very heavy and stiff component that will seriously damage the typical car in a collision.

Btw, for the accident starting this thread, the side impact looks more scary that the frontal damage, and I feel certain that the stiff battery compartment saved the life of the Tesla passenger.

The fact that the Model S has a larger crumble zone does not imply that the car as a whole is more crumple-able.

In fact, the Model S is extremely stiff (it broke the DOT testing machine that was supposed to make its roof cave in and the battery compartment/floor is a very heavy and stiff component that will seriously damage the typical car in a collision.

Btw, for the accident starting this thread, the side impact looks more scary that the frontal damage, and I feel certain that the stiff battery compartment saved the life of the Tesla passenger.

The stiffness of the roof has nothing to do with the ability of the rest of the car to absorb an impact. Just because the roof is designed to be stiff and not crush does not mean the rest of the car is the same. The cars are designed to maximize survival in the typical collision scenarios that passenger cars encounter with different safety features in different locations. The massive front end crumple zone of a Tesla is a tremendous benefit for a frontal collision.

The stiffness of the roof has nothing to do with the ability of the rest of the car to absorb an impact. Just because the roof is designed to be stiff and not crush does not mean the rest of the car is the same. The cars are designed to maximize survival in the typical collision scenarios that passenger cars encounter with different safety features in different locations. The massive front end crumple zone of a Tesla is a tremendous benefit for a frontal collision.

Absolutely. And this is irrelevant to the ongoing sub-topic of whether this is beneficial to people _outside_ the vehicle.

Here's an interesting question: is a safer, more crumple-able car not only safer for the occupants but also for a car hitting it?
Basic physics would suggest that anything that reduces the shock (g-force) on the car hit should also do likewise for the car hitting.
It is, of course, great that the occupants are protected so well, but no one really wants others involved in the accident, however much
"at fault" they may be, to be seriously injured. So maybe more than just Tesla owners should be thankful for the safety of Tesla cars.

Yes, its about time someone mention it: Newtons Law " Forces are equal and opposite" Thus the other driver might also buy a Tesla next time.

Glad to see everything worked out! Hopefully the other two vehicles involved can say the same.

Haven't been on in awhile. Forgot to mention that the other drivers also survived. The driver of the car that hit us went to the hospital and had some undisclosed injuries treated. The family in the SUV also survived with minor injuries. My Model S basically took the brunt of the impact.

Still grinning, living and terrified of driving through intersections,

-MSMD

Note on the side that the heavy bottom rail didn't protect the passenger door. One safety negative of the necessary low height is the many taller, heavy vehicles on the road.

In this particular crash I suspect that every large expensive sedan would do about as well.

I disagree. It looks like the heavy bottom rail prevented the door from intruding even further into the cabin, perhaps catastrophically so. I doubt you would see a door caved in so much just in the middle if the surrounding structure was not so rigid. That would hurt if you were sitting in the passenger seat if that door came in any further (and someone was).

About 2 weeks ago, a car ran a red light at full speed and smashed into my Model S which caused a second collision with a large SUV. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to react. Every airbag in the car deployed. As the airbag smoke cleared, my wife and I realized we weren't seriously injured and we both miraculously walked away from the accident.

As you can see from the picture, the lack of an engine of front (large crumple zone) allowed the frunk to absorb most of the energy of the high impact. The passenger cabin was essentially untouched.

Thank you Elon Musk and Tesla for saving my wife and I from serious injury and possibly death. Soon after the accident, I ordered another Model S without hesitation. This is how much faith I have in the company and the safety of their cars.

View attachment 191631
Glad you're ok.

Actually the two men on their way to work that day in the Accord were killed by a street racer.

Lawsuits say drivers raced before fatal LB crash

Safety? That Tesla is responsible for 2 deaths.

Surgeon, allegedly causes accident requiring morticians and funeral directors and also attorneys. I wonder how it all turned out.

Actually, this is how it turned out:
Doctor gets probation, community service for Laguna Canyon Road crash that killed 2 men – Orange County Register

Speed and Tesla aren't the enemy but carelessness, recklessness and overall bad driving and poor decisions certainly are.

Last edited:
Well, a Tesla being more crump-able didn't help the occupants in the Honda that was involved in a head-on collision with a Model S:

600x448

Head-on collision in Laguna Beach kills 2, closes road

A good example of a Model S protecting its occupants though. 2 men in the Honda were declared dead on the scene, while the S owner was treated for minor injuries.
Doctor gets probation, community service for Laguna Canyon Road crash that killed 2 men – Orange County Register