Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the paint chips were almost as bad, but there in a more conspicuous area so I decided to go for it after some thought. But I was pretty damn close to rejecting it again. I think I would have lost the loan and spent another $600 in diesel to reject it again too.

Those panels are so close together; are they touching? Are vibrations going to have them rubbing against each other?

Despite the issues the car is amazing. The service center tech seemed to think everything but the repaint was a minor issue they would be able to fix quickly (they are busy though so probably next week).

Those panels are so close together; are they touching? Are vibrations going to have them rubbing against each other?

They are close but not quite that close. I know it sucks because every time I see another car on the lot (mostly RWD's) they look perfect and I can't find any issues. But both performance models have paint chips etc. I wonder if the paint chips are missed because the prime is white underneath?

The Car's build date was 9/18. I guess it was a rushed car so I hope there are no further issues with it and that most of these issues can be resolved quickly.

Dang... this is not the same Tesla from even just a year ago. Or remembering when Elon used to personally inspect many of the cars coming off the line back in 2012 and 2013. I think the push for sales volume is taking its toll... on all fronts. Now I’m nervous for mine in the coming weeks. This thread is a great tool though — in what to look for during inspection.

Don't think Elon can inspect over half a million cars when they sustain 10,000 week production. :(

Though it would be a good job to assign him so he can stay off Twitter.

I attribute it as much to consumer demand than Tesla production.

Tesla has to spend a massive sum on overtime, rework and the headcount to support all these deliveries they are pushing through.

Tesla might have had less top line growth but would have equal or greater bottom line if they slowed their production down.

A lot of people care about getting the maximum rebate, and would risk a less than perfect car to do so.

I MUST HAVE MY CAR IN 2018 / I WANT IT TO BE WITHOUT ISSUES are going to be an incompatible mix.

Unfortunately I have inspected enough cars including delivery attempts and store models (for the fun of it) and can say that it is almost impossible to find a flawlessly painted Model 3 without any defects, but I have a pretty good idea of what a "better" example looks like and will only accept a car that is on the upper end of what Tesla has been producing.

If you order RWD w/ 18 inch wheels, those cars are dime of a dozen and Tesla will keep giving you a new assignment every 1-2 weeks until you accept delivery. If you order a less common configuration (like AWD w/ white interior and 19 inch wheels), you'll likely be waiting 1+ month between delivery attempts. This is all based on personal experience between two Model 3 orders in the family. If paint is the main issue you are concerned about, consider ordering RWD for the maximum number of delivery attempts to find your near perfect car.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Well I got my P3D- last night. It wasn't a great experience either.

New car also has issue but I feel tired and worn down. I don't think the issues are as bad as the first car assuming they can fix them. Of course I'm getting more picky as time passes too. This time I was able to speak with a service center expert (delivery center is the service center)

issues to be corrected:
Panel Gaps.
- Frunk is slightly crooked but after looking at it carefully he says he can adjust it.
- Trunk not crooked but much closer to the rear fenders on one side than the other. He said this is also an easy fix.
Passenger front door needs to be closed hard. Service center said it's a striker plate alignment fix and they have done many.
Paint chips between passenger rear door and front door (will be sent to body shop for repaint). I only took a picture of one side but the other side is also chipped.
2" scratch inside passenger door area near the latch. Down to the metal and will also be repainted.
Passenger door handle is not flush, Service center adviser said it's just an adjustment as well.
Windshields weather stripping sticks out above the roof. (They said they can trim it, but otherwise they would View attachment 344662 View attachment 344663 View attachment 344664 View attachment 344665 View attachment 344666 View attachment 344667 need to replace the windshield to replace it)

He said they should be able to provide a loaner model S sometime next week and they will be in touch soon.

Now the paint chips were almost as bad, but there in a more conspicuous area so I decided to go for it after some thought. But I was pretty damn close to rejecting it again. I think I would have lost the loan and spent another $600 in diesel to reject it again too.
The rejected car will just get sent to the body shop, repaired, and sold to the next guy as new without disclosure thinking it has factory paint. That's how it usually works, yea?
So they won’t disclose this unless it’s 5% more than what the car is worth? I’ve already rejected an 82xxx car and now I’m getting a 72xxx car which is likely a prior reject. Most people likely don’t know and think they just got one of the better ones...

So they won’t disclose this unless it’s 5% more than what the car is worth? I’ve already rejected an 82xxx car and now I’m getting a 72xxx car which is likely a prior reject. Most people likely don’t know and think they just got one of the better ones...

They just wouldn't sell a vehicle that exceeds the threshold. Better to ship it overseas or crash test it or whatever they do with vehicles that need expensive repairs.

Sounds like it varies by state. Mine is:

Disclosure to ultimate purchaser of damage exceeding four percent of retail price
This section does not apply to damage to glass, radios, tires, and bumpers when replaced by identical manufacturer's original equipment.
Any uncorrected damage or any corrected damage exceeding four percent (4%) of the manufacturer's suggested retail price, as measured by retail repair costs, must be disclosed in writing before delivery to an ultimate purchaser.

Sounds like it varies by state. Mine is:

Disclosure to ultimate purchaser of damage exceeding four percent of retail price
This section does not apply to damage to glass, radios, tires, and bumpers when replaced by identical manufacturer's original equipment.
Any uncorrected damage or any corrected damage exceeding four percent (4%) of the manufacturer's suggested retail price, as measured by retail repair costs, must be disclosed in writing before delivery to an ultimate purchaser.
So if this was disclosed to you during delivery would you cancel or ask for price adjustment? Or if the car looked as good as you’ve seen, accept it with open arms?

My account is showing Pay per use supercharging even though I used a referral code when I ordered to get free supoercharging. I am also not sure where to go to see that I am getting free lifetime data. I'm guessing I lost free lifetime supercharging (and maybe data) due to rejecting the first car?

On a better note I wrapped my center console last night :)

I love the car so far other than the issues that will hopefully be fixed soon. It really is like driving the future!
IMG_20181018_014525.jpg

Nice Center Wrap!
I've been thinking about doing that in either a white carbon fiber or black carbon fiber. Which is yours?
mat white kenriko. I think white carbon fiber would look good with the white seats too. This mat color pretty much matches the seat material. It was my first time wrapping vinyl, I'm not sure how much harder carbon fiber would be to line up since you have to stretch the material a bit, and match up the grain. Probably not too bad if you have done it before. It took me like 3 hours (mostly spent on the cup holder) I'm slow hah.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and SCW-Greg
Anyone ever worry that three years from now we'll be seeing posts on the forum where someone will ask "I am looking to buy a used Model 3. Anything I should look for?" and the response will be "Just avoid the first year cars...they were loaded with issues." :(

Reactions: jcasetnl
Anyone ever worry that three years from now we'll be seeing posts on the forum where someone will ask "I am looking to buy a used Model 3. Anything I should look for?" and the response will be "Just avoid the first year cars...they were loaded with issues." :(
Well, it's mostly paint problems, right? So it'll be more like "first year cars had paint problems, check the paint".

First year Model Ses had *loads* of problems but they were all repaired at the first annual service so nobody in the used market cares.

Found out the car was a reject car. When I called tesla they asked for the vin, and had someone elses name "Raul". Then they were like oh sorry that's the previous owner, you bought a used car right?

What? No!

Must have been the first person to reject it. I wonder if it has already been repainted once or maybe they took it home and damage the doors then returned it? I dunno...

Fingers still crossed that the service center can fix all the alignment issues, the door that has to be slammed and the paint.

Interesting to see that they replaced my originally rejected car with another reject car. I'm starting to think the one I got is worse since the original one only had paint chips all over. Then again, if they can fix the frunk and trunk alignment then I'd rather not have paint issues from the start. Of course it may have already been repainted once... Who knows.

I think tesla hates me. Oh I asked about getting the $500 price drop since it had been just over 24 hours since I was convinced to take it (never hurts to ask right). Of course that was a no as well.

Found out the car was a reject car. When I called tesla they asked for the vin, and had someone elses name "Raul". Then they were like oh sorry that's the previous owner, you bought a used car right?

What? No!

Must have been the first person to reject it. I wonder if it has already been repainted once or maybe they took it home and damage the doors then returned it? I dunno...

Fingers still crossed that the service center can fix all the alignment issues, the door that has to be slammed and the paint.

Interesting to see that they replaced my originally rejected car with another reject car. I'm starting to think the one I got is worse since the original one only had paint chips all over. Then again, if they can fix the frunk and trunk alignment then I'd rather not have paint issues from the start. Of course it may have already been repainted once... Who knows.

I think tesla hates me. Oh I asked about getting the $500 price drop since it had been just over 24 hours since I was convinced to take it (never hurts to ask right). Of course that was a no as well.

Ask for free HPWC? Or some extra warranty/maintenance?

Giving you back money is difficult post sales I bet just from how the systems is setup.

What? No!

I think I’m also about to get a reject car! So scared

My 4th VIN assigned are 3 numbers lower than the 3rd car(2nd car had lower VIN than 1st and had all same quality issues with 20miles on odemeter). Probably a rejected or reworked car. Now my concern are validated here as Tesla will assign people rejected cars. Glad I simply asked for a rematch again without even seeing the 4th car.. last chance for Tesla until I opt for other cars. Seriously getting a bit impatience as they never listen to fix things.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden