Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi consumption too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I’m at my wits end about to just dump the car. I’ve tried to get Tesla service to address it and they atupid answer is that they run diagnostics and all is ok. They will not even call me. This is the worst car company I’ve ever seen I hope the others really hurt their business. Ford, GM, Toyota are all coming for them and they have a much better support model. Any suggestions on how to get Tesla to actually dig into the problem or should I just trade out of the car and wash my hands of it?

What problem would that be? That the range is considerably shorter than you expected? That it says you should be getting way over 300+ miles when if you calculated it, ends up being realistically somewhere from 230-250?

Sorry, but that's normal. Battery doesn't seem like its out of spec, not unless you're getting 100 miles range tops.

If that sounds unacceptable go ahead and sell it- used prices are through the roof - you may even make money off the sale.

Reactions: Dennisis
Just went over a year, 9821 miles @265. So yeah seems a little high but there are many factors described at length in various threads.

And yes service is not Tesla's strong point as you know by now but most rarely use it - when I have it's been great fortunately. Lexus may be more in your comfort zone. I'm sure you'll add yourself to the list of those who join here just to rant and leave...

What problem would that be? That the range is considerably shorter than you expected? That it says you should be getting way over 300+ miles when if you calculated it, ends up being realistically somewhere from 230-250?

Sorry, but that's normal. Battery doesn't seem like its out of spec, not unless you're getting 100 miles range tops.

If that sounds unacceptable go ahead and sell it- used prices are through the roof - you may even make money off the sale.

Perhaps you didn’t see my concern. My concern is that the wh/mi is excessive compared to everyone else around here. Driving it like a porcelain doll the best I can get to is 300wh/mi without climate control even on. So yes the car is out of spec. Battery is fine, it’s using excessive power. How do I get them to look at it from this perspective? My other Tesla’s perform amazing well. However their support has become terrible

Perhaps you didn’t see my concern. My concern is that the wh/mi is excessive compared to everyone else around here. Driving it like a porcelain doll the best I can get to is 300wh/mi without climate control even on. So yes the car is out of spec. Battery is fine, it’s using excessive power. How do I get them to look at it from this perspective? My other Tesla’s perform amazing well. However their support has become terrible
Dragging brakes?

My understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, that the MY LR AWD is primarily rear wheel drive with the front wheels engaging when needed, under acceleration or if slippage is detected. I wonder if something is screwed up with the sensors and drive system such that the front wheels are always being driven? That would consume more power than typical. Just a thought...

Driving it like a porcelain doll the best I can get to is 300wh/mi without climate control even on.

Ok, that's certainly fair. Tesla service is going to want much more info that we can get answers to before they look at it.

-Is your car set to normal (vs low) regen?

-are your tires inflated to at least 42 PSi and have the (ugly) Gemini hubcaps installed?

-You said the AC is completely off that's good

-no roof rack and no hitch mount or external accessories, correct?

-have you tried driving a few miles at 55mph with a very slow acceleration and seen if its continuously returning values of 300 WH/mi?

-And like the post above, are your front (or rear) brakes dragging?

The more info you can give the service dept, the better. If not, then it's just be another *range sucks* complaint, probably something they hear every day, many times a day. *Help them help you*

Reactions: AlexHung
The more info you can give the service dept, the better. If not, then it's just be another *range sucks* complaint, probably something they hear every day, many times a day. *Help them help you*
+1 - You will have to convince them with a problem like this. Its just like trying to convince a car dealer that your MPG isn't quite right. They tend to be dismissive, because most of the time the complaint isn't an actual problem.

In this case, the evidence should be easier though. Pick a level road, drive at 55 steadily, measure the wh/mi and video the drive including the energy consumption screen. Make sure to go at least 5 miles, but preferably 10 or more.

I have been driving my 2021 y long range for about. 1500 mi. I’ve been driving it as conservatively as possible, hold mode regen brakes, speed limits. Etc. I have had a model x and a still own a model 3, but this car I can’t seem to get the wh/mi under 305 to save my life. Any thoughts? What are others seeing as an average. I get lower wh/mi on freeway than I do driving around town.
Wonder if it has to do with the heat and the heat pump. I avg around 260 in Stl and we had a heat wave for us at 100 and I could barley get below 350 for a week and my AC was set for 73.

Doesn't sound crazy to me. I've only got 3,000 miles on mine so far. Most of that is just short commute to/from work on surface streets (5 miles each way). My lifetime consumption is 290wh/mi. Granted, this has all been during hotter months with the AC on almost all the time. About 1,000 miles in I switched from Geminis to aftermarket wheels but that didn't seem to change the consumption in any measurable way. I don't think there's anything wrong with your car.

You already have your answer. Get rid of it and don't look back. Give your business to Ford, GM, and Toyota.

Well I’m at my wits end about to just dump the car. I’ve tried to get Tesla service to address it and they atupid answer is that they run diagnostics and all is ok. They will not even call me. This is the worst car company I’ve ever seen I hope the others really hurt their business. Ford, GM, Toyota are all coming for them and they have a much better support model. Any suggestions on how to get Tesla to actually dig into the problem or should I just trade out of the car and wash my hands of it?

Reactions: Gadget63
I stopped caring what the wh/mi was. It doesn't effect me either way. I had a blue model 3 loaner I tried the "hyper-mile" attempts no a/c, slow acceleration, boring drive but look at that I got 173wh/mi for my 40 min / 22.6 mile drive to work !! who cares?
I drove three different routes to work and found if I push the throttle hard when I can and wake up to 80% to do it all over again.

Attachments

• 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 78
To put your Wh/mile consumption concern in perspective you are currently seeing ~300 Wh/mi. My lifetime Wh/mile result after a year of driving (mostly local streets) is 268 Wh/mile. Your energy consumption is 12% higher. Not worth worrying about. If you want to have the Service Center check the brakes. A stuck brake caliper could cause enough drag to lower your efficiency. You can check this yourself; measure the temperature of the brake rotors before driving. Drive several miles and measure the temperature of the brake rotors or else hold the open palm of your hand close to the wheel and brake rotor to feel for excess heat.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrwug
So I have been doing some experimenting with settings and have come to the following conclusions.

I have 7,100 miles on the clock and my average is 290wh/mi if I change my setting from standard to chill I can achieve 250wh/mi easily with all other settings and driving characteristics the same.

Now here is the thing, I don't like how the car drives in chill mode so I am ok with reduced range for increased performance. Also I have sentry mode off and cabin temp on.

Reactions: Dennisis
Today is my 1year anniversary on the Y with 10,550 miles. My lifetime is 314 Wh/mile. My commute is about 15 miles one way 70% freeway, and I drive fast.. >80 mph. If I were to take local streets, I would easily get < 250 Wh/mile.