Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s happened to Octopus Go?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Hello all

I’m currently on Octopus Go but recieved an email today that says when my current tariff ends they are offering me some other rates which are much higher.

My current peak rate is 13p per kWh. They are now offering me either 27p or 36p per kWh with no off peak rate.

I’m expecting prices to go up at the end of my tariff but not 100-200%!

Also, have they really got rid of their off peak rate?

Has anyone found some other tariff with Octopus which is similar to Go?

Thanks

Llama.

Reactions: adsheff
Hello all

I’m currently on Octopus Go but recieved an email today that says when my current tariff ends they are offering me some other rates which are much higher.

My current peak rate is 13p per kWh. They are now offering me either 27p or 36p per kWh with no off peak rate.

Thanks

Llama.

Search is your friend ;) This is a standard end of tariff email. You can either email them and let them know you want to stay on Go for another year, or possibly do it yourself at Octopus Energy

That said, 100-200% rises are pretty common now with the energy crisis. I consider myself very lucky that they let me stay on Go for another year when no new customers can get it.

This seems to happen a lot. To people on go. Wierd rates sent to them at renewal. Those are probably fixed rates they are trying to "tempt". You with. Have heard of this happening before. Go still exists at 5p but the day rates will be a lot higher than 13p now

Search is your friend ;) This is a standard end of tariff email. You can either email them and let them know you want to stay on Go for another year, or possibly do it yourself at Octopus Energy

That said, 100-200% rises are pretty common now with the energy crisis. I consider myself very lucky that they let me stay on Go for another year when no new customers can get it.
Friend of mine got moved to Octopus when his supplier went bump. They let him move to Go a couple of weeks ago after he bought an EV

I'm on an Tarif from Scottish Power that ends on 31 March 2022.
I explored their "EV Tariff" and got this incredibly unhelpful reply..

"We can’t detect a strong enough signal to support our Smart meter & Time of Use tariffs at your address but don’t worry, we’ve got lots other tariffs for you to choose from".

The signal is good enough for them to read my meter, but not enough for them to make the EV tariff work. Really?

My tariff came to and with similar offers. If I did nothing I could roll onto Go which I did at the same rates!
that was only back in November
Similar experience here. I’m on Go Faster. My fixed term ended at the beginning of December. I called up Octopus to enquire about staying on Go Faster and they told me if I don’t do anything I would automatically remain on Go Faster. So far, my tariff as shown on my account page is the same as I was on before. Just waiting for my next bill to see what it says…

Hello all

Thanks

Llama.

Do nothing. You should continue with your present tariff.

Got same email, but ultimately it turned out it was just related to the gas tarrif (I managed to change gas tariff when I switched to octopus go.

Tip with gas is to stay on standard flexible rates as all the fixed are too expensive

Peter 224 I was with scottish power for years and when purchasing my tesla in 2019 I spent months trying to a) get more info on and b) move to SP's 'smart' tariff - I gave up and went Octopus Go in the end.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I did exactly this. Still at 13.6p peak.
I’m in the same boat but also worried that they’re going to smack me with a bill on the higher rate for peak or worse, both peak and no off-peak! Their billing seems all over the place as others have mentioned on another thread - I’ve not had an electricity bill in about 6-9 months (gas ever month fine though). Don’t want to chase them though and someone then see that I’m on the old tariff and switch it over….

Has anyone had a bill and been charged their old rate even though it’s “expired”?

I’m in the same boat but also worried that they’re going to smack me with a bill on the higher rate for peak or worse, both peak and no off-peak! Their billing seems all over the place as others have mentioned on another thread - I’ve not had an electricity bill in about 6-9 months (gas ever month fine though). Don’t want to chase them though and someone then see that I’m on the old tariff and switch it over….

Has anyone had a bill and been charged their old rate even though it’s “expired”?
Yes, I’ve had a bill for the period after the “non change” of tariff and it was charged as per original rates.

This has just cropped up on the Octopus forum. Your car will now be 50% more expensive to charge. And that peak rate - wow. Somehow I think energy prices are going to dominate the news in 2022.
1641296907272.png

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
If on the site it says you're on the old rate, then to back bill you on a different tariff would be something you could take to the Ombudsman, indeed Octopus's own terms say they'll give you notice of tariff changes... so they'd be in breach of those too. This of course won't stop them trying.

If on the site it says you're on the old rate, then to back bill you on a different tariff would be something you could take to the Ombudsman, indeed Octopus's own terms say they'll give you notice of tariff changes... so they'd be in breach of those too. This of course won't stop them trying.
Go is a 12 month rate. They won't change you mid-term if you're already on it.

This new rate applies to renewals or new joiners.

I've just checked, and we've had no electricity bills since August 2021...

We're on Octopus Go as well.

In fact, I've now downloaded my Electric Smart Meter Figures from the Octopus App, and screeshot my Go Tariff rate incase theres any bulls!!!t...

My meter is working, and they're getting the half hour figures... just not billing me

I wonder if they've had a corrupt database, cyber attack, resource issue??

I've just checked, and we've had no electricity bills since August 2021...

We're on Octopus Go as well.

In fact, I've now downloaded my Electric Smart Meter Figures from the Octopus App, and screeshot my Go Tariff rate incase theres any bulls!!!t...

My meter is working, and they're getting the half hour figures... just not billing me

I wonder if they've had a corrupt database, cyber attack, resource issue??
I'm in the same position, awaiting a bill since August, and it has happened a few times before. Drop them an email and they will resolve it eventually in my experience. On previous occasions, they have been missing some 30minute billing data from a specific day, and it seems they need to manually re-request it from the central billing database that is outside of octopus control, so I think the problem is down to issues with Octopus receiving the 30minute data in the first place.

Mine was waiting on missing data from 20 September, this was resolved but then all data flow stopped on my account for a couple of weeks. This is all now showing apart from one day in November, so am waiting on them to catch that up manually too. They will get there I'm sure, and frankly given I'm on the 13.8p/5p rates until end of April I'm really not going to complain if it takes them a while, there's so much benefit from having Go that I'm more than willing to live with the beta aspects of the service.

I do regular exports of usage data from Octopus Watch app to a CSV file as an emergency backup, but have never needed to resort to this.

Reactions: PITA