Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What aftermarket accessories are you ordering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically don't add many aftermarket accessories. However, due to the lack of options on the M3, I'm opting for a few changes this time.

For now, I'll be adding matte "Xpel Stealth" to the center console plastic just to avoid fingerprints.

However, I'm hoping Tesla will release additional trim options later on and I can just buy those pieces. The same goes for the wood trim. I'm leaving it as is for now but I'm hoping for future trim options. I'd really like a dark or grey wood.

The only other immediate change I'll be making is swapping out the puddle and trunk lights with the ones from abstract ocean. I swapped my S back to the OEM lights prior to selling it. So I already have the AO lights.

Later on, after my stock tires get close to needing replacement, I plan on buying the 19" TST wheel and tire package. I plan on keeping the OEM wheels with the nearly worn tires as spares.

Yep, that's why I'm having my HPWC connected to a 60 amp circuit so I can get the full 48 amps of charging. HWPC on a 60 amp circuit adds 44 miles of range per hour of charge to the Model 3 according to the chart on this page: Home Charging Installation

If you're going to be putting your HPWC close to your breaker panel, there's no reason not to go with a 100 amp breaker so that the HPWC could do full 80 amp charging. Sure, the 3 won't use it, but why not future proof things in case you have a Tesla down the line that can?

I installed my HPWC this weekend, and the wire + 100 amp breaker for my panel cost me something like $70-80.

there's no reason not to go with a 100 amp breaker so that the HPWC could do full 80 amp charging.

While I'd love to do that, I suspect it'd be very expensive to do so as the power line to my house is underground.
IMG_9745.jpg

I'm going to start off using just a 120 outlet, as I work from home, but will also pick up the 14-30 adapter for the electric dryer outlet in case I ever need a faster charge. I have a gas dryer, so no conflict with the outlet. I wouldn't typically use it though as it's inside, so I'd have to leave the door to the garage open resulting in a larger AC bill as it attempts to cool down an uninsulated garage.

If you're going to be putting your HPWC close to your breaker panel, there's no reason not to go with a 100 amp breaker so that the HPWC could do full 80 amp charging. Sure, the 3 won't use it, but why not future proof things in case you have a Tesla down the line that can?

If the panel can support it… I could only put in a 50a breaker myself due to my panel being maxed out after that.

I installed my HPWC this weekend, and the wire + 100 amp breaker for my panel cost me something like $70-80.

In a perfect word that would be the thing to do, but my house is a complete oddball. I'm having an electrician coming next week to upgrade the house from 100 amp to 200 amp. The breaker panel is about 40 feet away from where the HPWC will be installed. I also don't plan on staying this house for more than a few years. It's the next owners problem if they need more than 60 amps to the HPWC (and that's assuming the next owner will have a Tesla!).

In a perfect word that would be the thing to do, but my house is a complete oddball. I'm having an electrician coming next week to upgrade the house from 100 amp to 200 amp. The breaker panel is about 40 feet away from where the HPWC will be installed. I also don't plan on staying this house for more than a few years. It's the next owners problem if they need more than 60 amps to the HPWC (and that's assuming the next owner will have a Tesla!).
Not so odd. My panel was 125 amps, and maxed out, both in terms of slots and total power. Adding even a 14-50 meant a panel upgrade, along with the outlet itself, and my car seemed quite happy sharing a 10-30 with the dryer. But I did it anyway.

What forced the issue was that the main panel in our early 1980's house was a kind that is now known to "fail" (as in "catch fire"). The electrician was surprised it was even still there. Also, the tax credit was expiring at the end of that year (2016), so that helped. I ended up with a 200 amp panel, added the 14-50 in the garage, and a set of 5-20's while we were at it (practically free at that point, and you can never have too many outlets in a garage).

So, if you have an older home, do have an electrician verify what sort of panel you have. An EV draws a continuous heavy load while charging, and that can push a marginal electrical system over the edge. It's generally free to have someone come out an look at what it would take to add an outlet, and they should be able to spot something hazardous just by looking.

@gregd: I had my electrical panel upgraded from 100A to 200A almost four years ago. However, I've been told by two electrical contractors that the service wires going into the panel were not upgraded to handle 200A. One of them proposed to install a manual transfer switch for a 30A EV charging circuit (14-50; swapping with one of the other loads in my house). I'd like to have an HPWC on a 60A breaker in order to get the fastest possible charge for the 3 but that might mean replacing the underground wiring from the curb to my panel. Did you have to do any wiring upgrade with your new panel?

@gregd: I had my electrical panel upgraded from 100A to 200A almost four years ago. However, I've been told by two electrical contractors that the service wires going into the panel were not upgraded to handle 200A. One of them proposed to install a manual transfer switch for a 30A EV charging circuit (14-50; swapping with one of the other loads in my house). I'd like to have an HPWC on a 60A breaker in order to get the fastest possible charge for the 3 but that might mean replacing the underground wiring from the curb to my panel. Did you have to do any wiring upgrade with your new panel?
Just to complete this sub-topic (but, charging is arguably an accessory, no?), you should check with PG&E about the feed to your house. In my case, the wiring from the street to my house was capable of 225 amps, actually. Not all the houses on the street are that way, so I guess I got lucky (we had one of the earlier ones). But the important point: PG&E said that if they wires weren't big enough, it would be on THEIR NICKEL to upgrade them (within reason, I presume). The impact to me would have been that they'd need to dig up a bit of my front yard landscaping to do it, and the repair of that wouldn't have been covered by them. But before you go kludging the wiring with transfer switches, push on the power company first. Those wires between the street and your meter are owned and maintained by them, not you.