Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Are Your Daily Driver Plans While Awaiting the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seemingly both fortuitously and unfortunately, my Cadillac CTS was wrecked by another driver's carelessness just prior to the Model 3 pre-orders going live. While I have put my deposit down on the Model 3 and am very excitingly awaiting it whilst dividing my day between learning about Tesla and watching videos from Model S/X owners :p, my options are limited now. Buying a safe, reliable car only to sell it when I get my Model 3 would be too costly yet whatever I can justify leasing my heart won't be into as it will just feel like a gap vehicle to the Model 3 so either way I won't be too happy spending money on a vehicle until I have my Model 3 in my driveway. Then, I'll be ecstatic to make payments ;).

I assume most of you will just keep your current vehicle, some are coming out of leases, and others probably have cars about to die. What are you doing with your daily driver situation?

Got a 3.5 year old Camry Hybrid that should easily last a few more years.

Cannot speak more highly of the car. Loads of power, refinement and fantastic fuel economy (plus getting 1000km a tank is great) but feels like 100 years old compared to the images I've seen of the Model 3.

I should credit it with actually me getting interested in full EVs.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
I'll be driving my 2014 Volt until my 3 comes. It has 34k on it now after 1.5 years; it will probably be well over 100k in the 2018/2019 timeframe.

The Volt has been amazing, but my commute is 80 miles round trip with zero at work charging. So until this year, no full EVs had enough range to be a daily driver. Looking forward to the Tesla a lot.

Perfect storm for me. Bought a Prius C in summer of 2012 that will be fulled paid off next summer. By the time my 3 is delivered my daughter is likely to (finally) need a car so I'll give it to her. If not I'll just sell it as the Prius do seem to retain value rather well (although more so when gas is expensive).

Figure I'll start making 3 "payments" (read: banking extra cash) as soon as the Prius is paid off, should be enough to pay for an extra feature or two (or more depending on when delivery occurs).

I'm actually "stuck" with my '15 LEAF for 1.5 more years as I was stupid and got a 3 year lease. That car was great when my 2x week commute to Denver was about 62 miles and there was an EVSE waiting for me on the other end. However, my company moved offices and now the drive is 75 miles with no opportunity for charging anywhere near.

So now I'm driving our '16 F150 150 miles RT twice a week while the LEAF has been reduced to local only duty. I still really like the car, it's just now the range issue has really hit and it's a big deal. The truck was only meant for camping trips and local duty.

Probably going to try to limp through the rest of this year driving the truck more and then get a CPO S at the end of the year. Not ideal, but I considered getting a small, cheap gasmobile to drive as a stopgap for two years and couldn't force myself to look at them for more than a few minutes. After driving electric for almost 2 years, they look just terrible.

Plan to use the CO tax rebate from the CPO to pay the residual on the LEAF and give it to the kids. After I get the 3, the S can be my wife's daily short trip driver and the truck can just be used for truck stuff.

This is my current, complicated plan.

I specifically leased a Leaf for the wait, which goes back to Nissan in June 2018. We'll drive that, along with our paid off 2012 Mazda 5 until the model 3 arrives, at which point we will probably use both our reservations to have our daily drivers and put the Mazda into "storage" (using it only for hauling or dirty jobs)

I'm going to have to figure something out. My A3 TDi lease expires in Aug-Sep of '17... I was 4th in line at my store ordered 2 and plan to spec them out pretty well. I'm hoping i'll get them early in the queue but either way i'll need to maybe rent something until I get it :(

My '15 Macan Turbo....great car that I bought January of 2015 because I was too scared to go EV and get the Model S. However, as great as it is, I still have remorse for not getting the S. Therefore, I have reserved a Model 3 and will be selling the Macan the first part of 2018 so I have cash in hand for the 3!

Reactions: Model S M.D.