Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what can cause 800-900Wh/mi result in consumption graph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The past 30miles of energy consumption graph, while my Model X 75D was in service (it was driven 37 miles while in the service center), shows a 800-900Wh/mi peak for about 4-6miles segment.

How would the car have to be driven to create this history? I don't have a tow hitch installed (so no towing) and there are no giant hills to drive up to.

Attachments

• Consumption900WhMi.jpg
    Consumption900WhMi.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 328
Don't remember for sure but i've read somewhere on here (one of those wh/mi threads i think..) that if the rear one is on that its significant
And heater is def uses a lot, ppl even recommended using seat heater vs high temp setting...

Somebody was movin lol. What was it in for?
The car was in for a metal clanking sound from the driver side front wheel well, and driver's door window binding issue.
The metal clanking noise was reproduced with a tech on the street right in front of service center where there is plenty of broken pavement.

The key items that bothers me:
- 37 miles driven while in service center
- crazy consumption Wh/mi recorded during that time
- followup with service center manager who told me the vehicle was driven 52 times, with a top speed of 82MPH.

A followup meeting with service center manager 4 days after picking up my car, who tells me:
- they are within their rights to 'test drive' customer vehicles, so adding 37 miles on the odo is within 'their right'
(was i necessary?)
- crazy consumption is from driving very short distanced repeatedly, even within the service center floor.
(Really? Kind of sounds like BS)
- And then the top speed attained during service 'test drive' of 82MPH.
(I doubt this was at all necessary. Even if it was necessary to drive on the freeway (it wasn't), 82MPH, beyond the speed limit of freeways near us, would likely not be something service departments are allowed to do. The manager would not offer GPS location data of the vehicle while in service)

I drove the car yesterday with AC (though not full blast), up to nearly 100MPH. The consumption graph was just shy of 600Wh/mi.

So what would it take to hit 900Wh/mi?
I am uncertain the service manger's statement regarding the 82MPH max attained while the vehicle was in their possession.

The car was in for a metal clanking sound from the driver side front wheel well, and driver's door window binding issue.
The metal clanking noise was reproduced with a tech on the street right in front of service center where there is plenty of broken pavement.

The key items that bothers me:
- 37 miles driven while in service center
- crazy consumption Wh/mi recorded during that time
- followup with service center manager who told me the vehicle was driven 52 times, with a top speed of 82MPH.

A followup meeting with service center manager 4 days after picking up my car, who tells me:
- they are within their rights to 'test drive' customer vehicles, so adding 37 miles on the odo is within 'their right'
(was i necessary?)
- crazy consumption is from driving very short distanced repeatedly, even within the service center floor.
(Really? Kind of sounds like BS)
- And then the top speed attained during service 'test drive' of 82MPH.
(I doubt this was at all necessary. Even if it was necessary to drive on the freeway (it wasn't), 82MPH, beyond the speed limit of freeways near us, would likely not be something service departments are allowed to do. The manager would not offer GPS location data of the vehicle while in service)

Sounds like they were trying to fix/reproduce your clanking? What is your concern? They see Teslas day in and out so I highly doubt they are going for joyrides.

On my Model S, I sometimes see short bursts of high, off-the-chart, numbers like that. Usually it's on shorter trips. I've never been able to figure out exactly what it's doing in those cases, since my driving alone didn't do it. I would just let it slide and not get on the bad side of your service center people.

With a cold battery it's normal to very high initial energy consumption.

Reactions: SCron and aesculus
Thank you for all those who chimed in with insight and perspectives I had not fully considered regarding the 800-900Wh/mi occurrence.
I do also feel it would be perplexing for a tech to joyride in a X75D when other more 'fun' vehicles are at their disposal.

It is the combination of - gigantically high Wh/mi+37additional miles+top speed of 82MPH - , while in service, that triggered my concern whether my vehicle, for some inexplicable reason that defies understanding, was possibly mistreated during service.
In which case I certainly feel this situation should we made known to the service manager, even when no obvious harm was done. I feel this would/should benefit both Tesla and Tesla owners alike.

Has anyone had their vehicle accrue more than a few extra miles while in service?

The only way to achieve those numbers would be for the vehicle to have been in drive but not moving for a while with the air on.. no amount of aggressive driving would get the numbers that high in a 75d
That's good to know. I shall experiment a bit.
'test driving' my car for 37 accrued miles reaching peak of 82MPH (reported by service manager himself) is still concerning (and inexplicable) to me.

I had my MY in for service over the winter for a strange motor sound. It was driven 100+ miles over a couple days. Each time my TezLab app notified me they were driving it I was glad. I could follow them on the map going back into the SC to try a new fix and then take it back it again. They were being thorough and I appreciated it.

As you know it’s very easy to get these cars up to 82 mph on the highway. It’s also possible the high wh/mi happened while they were ‘driving’ the car on the lift. This happened to mine while in service. The top speed got up to 130 mph or something and the wh/mi was off the charts since it wasn’t going anywhere. They also drive the car in service mode and can disable regen which will increase your wh/mi.

I realized you’re concerned about your car but I don’t think anything they did is remotely concerning. I agree with another poster- it’s not in your best interest to go accusing your SC of things based on this info. They FIXED your car (it sounds like) and your car appears to be fine otherwise. At the risk of being rude, I think it’s time to move on.

Thank you for all those who chimed in with insight and perspectives I had not fully considered regarding the 800-900Wh/mi occurrence.
I do also feel it would be perplexing for a tech to joyride in a X75D when other more 'fun' vehicles are at their disposal.

It is the combination of - gigantically high Wh/mi+37additional miles+top speed of 82MPH - , while in service, that triggered my concern whether my vehicle, for some inexplicable reason that defies understanding, was possibly mistreated during service.
In which case I certainly feel this situation should we made known to the service manager, even when no obvious harm was done. I feel this would/should benefit both Tesla and Tesla owners alike.

Has anyone had their vehicle accrue more than a few extra miles while in service?
Absolutely. The beltway around my city is 52 miles for the full loop. Depending on what they are trying to troubleshoot, they may have to make multiple trips. Although driving around is not a particularly great use of time for a warranty repair. It happens, it’s rare, but it is not never.