Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do to your Tesla Model 3 today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is the big rubber-band like thing which you squidge into place around the top piece of glass... I took mine off a few weeks ago after reading about seals being affected. The rubber band had worked its way pretty far under the back corners of the glass over the course of a few months. Not sure how much of an issue that would have caused, or how how far under it'd need to go to cause an issue, but I didn't want to risk it for what didn't really seem to be much of a perceivable decrease in noise.

Thanks. I was aware of a small number of these reports and also about it popping out during drive/car wash.

The band doesn't appear to be under too much tension I cannot honestly see it it causing a problem unless there is another issue even if it works its way under the glass. The roof seals come affixed to the glass and the band sit on top of that and once the 4 corners are correctly distanced and tucked in (the instructions on the pack differ from Abstract Oceans installation video which works its way from one corner) the seal is gently pushed down into the gap by gently running finger along the gap - no slack or uneven stretching - the tension in the band is even from being held on all 4 corners. Apart from the opposite corner positioning being a 2 person job to stop it pinging out, it was much easier than the videos that I had seen although we possibly benefited by a nice even gap around the glass since it was replaced.

I'll see how it goes after a car wash and faster/longer drives (a few negative reviews of it popping out during a drive) and will be keeping an eye out for it digging in though.

Last edited:
Woke up, had left the car off charge last night as heavy rain overnight, went outside, hosed off the beachfront dirt from yesterday and bug splats from front - then sat in (got goosebumps), pulled round to charging point and left it to refuel.

Then ordered frunk mat (Basenor, Amazon), some screen cloths, a non-matte Spigen screen protector and Integral USB/SD plus Lexmark SD card for Sentry.

Also filed AliExpress disputes for 6 items ordered from LuckEasy that haven’t turned up and they have lost interest in ever investigating for me.

Now off for a most exciting appointment at the tip to dispose of all the cardboard boxes from Tesla accessories. In the Audi. #econotreally. Have to wait for trailer purchase to venture near the tip in the Tesla.

Oh and must finalise tyre pressures today, the delivery folks had set them a bit firm, needs another tweak to get right.

Reactions: Medved_77
...Have to wait for trailer purchase to venture near the tip in the Tesla...
For me that was a must - unlike everything else I've owned I will never fill this car with stuff for the tip (& waxed/polished this more times in 5 months than the sum of all cars I've owned in over 40 years!)

I purchased a small Erde 122 trailer flat pack kit back in May. It takes up very little room in the garage as it's stored on end, is light weight & has been extremely useful - several full loads to the tip, charity store & trips for my nearby Daughter so far.

Last edited:
For me that was a must - unlike everything else I've owned I will never fill this car with stuff for the tip

The tow bar finally got some proper use today. The old trailer (borrowed) is steel framed and very solid ... doesn't bounce around even when empty. You really wouldn't know it was there when driving in moderation ... and really reassuring to be able to keep an eye on things back there by keeping the rear camera on screen. I was interested to find that even with a load on the regen braking was sufficient to slow and stop very nicely.

TeslaLogsBlur.jpg

Today’s effort - took the rear left door card off, found that the wiring/connectors and clips all rattle around inside various plasticky shells/holders.

Fabric tape to the rescue, plus some Skinz sound deadener for the flimsy door pocket section. Also fabric-taped the underside of the 2 clip-off panels that house the main fixing bolts - so when the go back on, they don’t rattle against their own mountings.

A really easy job once you’ve figured out how to balance the door card when unclipped but wiring still connected.

CAUTION: when you disconnect the puddle light connector, the window returns to fully closed position so DO NOT SHUT THE DOOR as glass will catch. I saw this warning on a YouTube vid. Glass returns to normal open position as soon as you reconnect the puddle light.

Outcome : a completely silent rear door trim.

Outcome 2: the rear C pillar trim rattle that was lurking behind the din of the door card mega rattle has now revealed itself fully. Going to be a bit trickier to fix that one but it’s all a damn sight easier than faffing around with service appointments 120 miles away.

Have to say the door trim quality is pretty reasonable and they have a layer of noise insulation material built-in. The only thing that is different to German vehicles is the door trim clip housings are very thin and flex a lot more.

Suspect that the card wasn’t 100% aligned at factory, meaning the clips weren’t fully tight and then this allowed all the wiring gubbins to come to life plastic-plastic.

It does however all come apart and go back together without any issues and you wouldn’t know it’s been fiddled with.

Result !

F09F9BE3-7201-4ECF-91B9-7DE6C3F02AA2.jpeg
27329BD0-81A4-44D6-949A-9FCEC2383743.jpeg

Last edited:
I took the carpet mats out and put the all weather mats from last year back in, it's starting to be muddy on peoples feet. i also cleaned adn treated the weatherseals around the boot to ensure they stay effective.

I was planning to install the Hansshow motorised frunk kit today. Made a start at removing the frunk liner, only to be attacked by wasps. Seems we have a nest of the little blighters in the eaves, next to where the car's parked. Had to stop work and wait until this evening, when the nest shall be dealt with under cover of darkness (wearing every scrap of protective clothing I can lay my hands on).

Has anyone actually had anything enter the air con vents that’s caused a problem?

(I’ve not noticed a problem in a year of ownership.)
If you look at my before pic there's a few bits of foliage from a rather annoying tree that's close to the car. That's started dropping its tiny leaves in just the past 2 weeks. Stuff can get down there, whether a build up of debris that can enter the vents is harmful long term, I don't know.

For me it's just preventative and also a small bit of joy from buying, receiving and fitting new bits to the car.

The band doesn't appear to be under too much tension I cannot honestly see it it causing a problem unless there is another issue even if it works its way under the glass.

Spotted this morning that one corner had slid slightly under the glass. As mentioned before, I don't think it will cause a problem but I'll ask the ranger tomorrow if I remember.

Good news is that it remained in place during a short motorway trip. Probably phycological, but it did sound quieter, or should I say, the whistle above the top of drivers door window was more distinct even though it was apparently resolved with new rubbers fitted.

the whistle above the top of drivers door window was more distinct even though it was apparently resolved with new rubbers fitted.
That's the only real noise I can hear in my car. I thought if was down to the frameless windows though as it does appear to be coming from above the drivers window.

It's interesting that you perceive the roof band to assist in reducing this noise.

The band doesn't appear to be under too much tension I cannot honestly see it it causing a problem unless there is another issue even if it works its way under the glass.

Spotted this morning that one corner had slid slightly under the glass. As mentioned before, I don't think it will cause a problem but I'll ask the ranger tomorrow if I remember.

Good news is that it remained in place during a short motorway trip. Probably phycological, but it did sound quieter, or should I say, the whistle above the top of drivers door window was more distinct even though it was apparently resolved with new rubbers fitted.

Spoke with the ranger and not a problem. He specifically pointed at the marks in the glass where the roof bars attach stating that they wrap under the glass too. So the band is there to stay, hopefully.

As for the wind noise whistle. I had hoped that he could take a visual look and advise but he went one better and tweaked the window slightly to put a little more pressure on the rubber, with the caveat that it may cause a squeal if too much. Time will tell if sorted.

As for the rubber reducing noise. I still think it does but will need more opportunities to be sure. The car was never quiet even before the wind whistle was introduced, so I will see if my perception of this changes. What is very obvious though, having rode in the back again this morning, is how much noise there is in the back of the car. Need someone who can come up with a good solution to reduce the constant rumble in the rear. I think there was a parcel shelf liner that someone (@M3noob ?) was going to fit and comment on.

I think there was a parcel shelf liner that someone (@M3noob ?) was going to fit and comment on.
This one? {{SEO.ogTitle}}

I'll be fitting it this week but doubt it's going to have any effect on external noise. I bought it more for aesthetics and to ensure I don't catch anything on the sharp uncovered sections of the trunk when sleeping in the car.

Reactions: MrBadger
This one? {{SEO.ogTitle}}

I'll be fitting it this week but doubt it's going to have any effect on external noise. I bought it more for aesthetics and to ensure I don't catch anything on the sharp uncovered sections of the trunk when sleeping in the car.

Fitted. Installation was a real effort due to lack of contortionist ability. Acoustic benefit? Not demonstrated due to confounding variables (like a DreamCase, Road Hero spare and a load of other stuff). Appearance? Looks great if you are lying face up on a DreamCase with your head under the shelf ;) We use it with our feet at that end so meh

Reactions: MrBadger