Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What extra range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. You will see different numbers based on the battery calibration varying (battery capacity at any given time is an educated guess by the BMS). However, the number shown in your main gauge and Tesla app is a 'rated' number, based on a set Wh/mi. Tesla also tracks an estimated range which is shown in the energy applet and does take recent driving conditions into account. That's never shown in the gauge or Tesla app for the 3, though.

This can be verified by checking the vehicle API eg through TeslaFi:

View attachment 425506

It's been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. This is a settled debate.
So the correct response is, it's not based on driving habits but it's not always exact. (Esp since li-ion are kinda hard to tell exact true SOC)

They are not. The battery range estimate on the main screen uses a set Wh/mi number for its calculation on the 3. It does not take anything else into account.

The energy applet does. But that's not what we're talking about here. Also, the S/X can choose rated or ideal for the display. Also not relevant to the 3.
It absolutely does take it in consideration. You can see it change with your driving habits. I have seen it change with the four Teslas that I have either owned or had considerable time behind the wheel and even the service centers will tell you that.

It absolutely does take it in consideration. You can see it change with your driving habits. I have seen it change with the four Teslas that I have either owned or had considerable time behind the wheel and even the service centers will tell you that.

I'm not sure why this is difficult, but I'll say it one more time--this is not my opinion. On the Model 3, the main range gauge and app range estimate do not take anything into consideration other than a static Wh/mi used to derive the EPA range rating. Full stop. You can continue claiming otherwise, but you are incorrect. Please stop doing so. Whether you believe you've seen otherwise, or uninformed Tesla employees have claimed otherwise, is not relevant.

I'm not sure why this is difficult, but I'll say it one more time--this is not my opinion. On the Model 3, the main range gauge and app range estimate do not take anything into consideration other than a static Wh/mi used to derive the EPA range rating. Full stop. You can continue claiming otherwise, but you are incorrect. Please stop doing so. Whether you believe you've seen otherwise, or uninformed Tesla employees have claimed otherwise, is not relevant.
OK

If it's a static calculation, why does it vary from car to car and charging habits? If the size of the pack doesn't change, and the Wh/mi value is static, shouldn't every model 3 display the same rated range for any given charge percentage?

If it's a static calculation, why does it vary from car to car and charging habits? If the size of the pack doesn't change, and the Wh/mi value is static, shouldn't every model 3 display the same rated range for any given charge percentage?

Because 'a given charge percentage' is an inexact science. The BMS is, at any given time, guesstimating how much capacity remains. This is what is meant when people refer to calibration. If your car is routinely charged between a relatively small range of the battery's capacity (eg 50-85% for an example), then over time the BMS can become less accurate. Periodically discharging to near empty and charging back to full can help it recalibrate.

But this is a separate question--in no circumstance are individual driving habits or road/weather conditions taken into account for this calculation. That is what was originally stated, and what I responded to. The car always takes a set Wh/mi and divides the remaining BMS-estimated capacity by that to determine the displayed range.

Because 'a given charge percentage' is an inexact science. The BMS is, at any given time, guesstimating how much capacity remains. This is what is meant when people refer to calibration. If your car is routinely charged between a relatively small range of the battery's capacity (eg 50-85% for an example), then over time the BMS can become less accurate. Periodically discharging to near empty and charging back to full can help it recalibrate.

But this is a separate question--in no circumstance are individual driving habits or road/weather conditions taken into account for this calculation. That is what was originally stated, and what I responded to. The car always takes a set Wh/mi and divides the remaining BMS-estimated capacity by that to determine the displayed range.

That makes sense. I wasn't contesting you in any way, was just curious. So the real culprit for fluctuating rated range is charging habits, not driving habits.

That makes sense. I wasn't contesting you in any way, was just curious. So the real culprit for fluctuating rated range is charging habits, not driving habits.

Basically, yes. Charging habits and their impact on the accuracy of the BMS. And no worries--challenging contentions is required for a healthy discussion! This is a confusing area of BEV ownership, so it's good to cover how the car actually behaves and why periodically.

I wonder how many have actually seen their range icon turn from green to yellow to red. I have had mine in the red twice when returning from trips, and the system shows almost zero battery degradation. I wouldn’t park and leave it in the red though, but charge it as soon as you can. I think those old, tired electrons need to get kicked out once in a while and replaced by new fresh ones.

If you want the "based on driving habits" estimated range, pull up the energy graph screen. On there, it will deisplay your estimated range based on the last 5, 15, 30 (going from memory here) minutes of driving.