Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
Make sure you cancel your Amazon! I hear Bezos is mean, too. Lets not even get into Apple's child labor factories... definitely dont buy an Apple product. Also never shop at WalMart, that family is horrible... Even the beloved Walt Disney was an anti-semite, so dont do anything Disney.

Maybe many people with that much wealth are just bad humans. *shrug* Personally, I tend to support Made in America products whenever possible, but the Tesla leadership doesnt always make it easy.
Agree with this. I think all those "geniuses" are weird/a**hole/crazy etc. All of them have something. Elon's got his stuff, Jobs was a grade A a**hole, Bezos has got his own stuff, Gates a philanderer, etc etc etc. just mho. But I'm a nobody so I'm totally speculating :)

Reactions: bill-dub-ya
  • SiriusXM - I have been listening to SXM in my cars forever, and I am addicted to it. I miss it now and want it back.
  • Head-up Display - This could be one of my dealbrakers if we don't have it in the 2024.
  • CarPlay - Love that, because any map on my iPhone is better than anyone's in-car navigation.
  • Cooled Seats - I live in the southeast US. 'Nuff said.
  • Awesome 3D Camera views for parking - I love this feature. Parking our Palisade is a dream.
  • Killer Lane Keep - I don't care about the mega self driving stuff, but I really want lane keep assist that does not fight me.
  • Holistic Blind Spot Alerting - I want blind spot alerts in my mirrors, HUD, and audio alerts & steering intervention if I attempt to move into someone.
  • Cross-traffic Alert - Have that too in our other car and really want it on my Lyriq.
  • "Real" Door Handles - I want a one-handed, one-step way to open a car door.
  • Rear Climate Control - Our minivan and SUV experiences have spoiled us for this.
  • Logo Puddle Lights - My friends with Audis and Porsches have that; I want it too.
  • Configurable Regen & OPD Settings - I like the cars that have lots of regen intensity and OPD settings to let you really tailor the car's behavior to your personal perferences. I dislike the one-size approach that Tesla has.
  • Configurable Interior Accent Lighting - This is frivilous, yet I love it in our Palisade. I want this.
  • Wood Trim - I like the look; I don't want carbon fiber, aluminum, or anything simulated.
Slide out roof shade
Slide up rear side window shades (kids)
Vehicle to Load (V2L)
Light-up door handles at night
While I know these are wishlists for Tesla to do themselves (and I agree with most of these wishlists), the good thing about the Tesla community is that there are many 3rd party vendors that have solved some of these issues.
- Navigating to 3rd party DCFC is one I doubt will come anytime soon, but ABRP is an app that does this for you. It works with multiple different EVs so it has multiple different charging stations in its database. If you use the browser you can pull it up on your screen and it will navigate for you. You won't precondition but S3XY Buttons (mentioned later) is working on a fix for that.
- Lane changing on AP/AS, S3XY Buttons (mentioned later) also has a decent workaround for this
- There are fixes for Carplay/Android Auto, one takes a bit of knowledge of Raspberry Pi, and the other is a dongle, both to have CarPlay/Android Auto on the Center screen (Carplay Solution, Dongle (review of the dongle...Dongle Review Sapkota)
- Real door handles for that one-handed, one-step process (Door handles)
- Rear Climate Control, takes a bit of tinkering but you can install Rear Climate Control
- Logo Puddle Lights, one of the easiest things to DIY. Seriously, I did the first one and my 10-year-old daughter then did the other 3 (too many to link)
- Configurable Regen & OPD settings, I was not happy when Tesla removed the ability to really configure it the way one may like it; however, Enhauto has made their S3XY buttons and these along with a host of other configurable things are allowed, and their customer service is absolutely amazing (nothing like Hansshow). The founder answers questions and takes recommendations here in TMC. (S3XY Buttons)
- Configurable Interior Accent Lighting - it's your car, you can be as frivolous as you want. (Interior lighting also a bunch of these).

- Slide out roof shade: a few different options, here is a review of one of them Retractable sunshade.
- Slide up rear side window shades - obviously a ton of different options for these
- Light-up door handles - there are some self-presenting door handles, that take a lot of work to install (and one of the vendors is Hansshow), then there are these that give a night glow (Light up door handles)
@Thomas Aebi if you hit the lightning bolt you can change to an only supercharger view (you also have to hit the three lightning bolt icon). This video also shows you how much detail they have with these superchargers (Supercharger detail FTG), and ABRP works for seeing superchargers on current route as well.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, and I realize many may know this, but I just want to make sure that people know there are options out there now for some of your wishes.

Last edited:
1) Option to have a digital/analog clock in the otherwise empty space on the left of the touchscreen

2) Option to change font size for status bar and popup messages--come on, even an iphone can do this!

3) Allow wiper control to remain on screen when needed. As someone noted above, auto wiper control is still glitchy, and when using manual control it's a pan in the ass (not to mention dangerous) to have to search for a little icon at the bottom of the screen and then adjust the control--and then have it disperser so you have to do it again next time the rain gets harder

4) Grab handles above front passenger and rear doors. I know that would mess up the cool, sleek appearance of the interior, but I have friends who need the handle to enter and exit my car safely

Reactions: macheboston
1) Option to have a digital/analog clock in the otherwise empty space on the left of the touchscreen

2) Option to change font size for status bar and popup messages--come on, even an iphone can do this!

3) Allow wiper control to remain on screen when needed. As someone noted above, auto wiper control is still glitchy, and when using manual control it's a pan in the ass (not to mention dangerous) to have to search for a little icon at the bottom of the screen and then adjust the control--and then have it disperser so you have to do it again next time the rain gets harder

4) Grab handles above front passenger and rear doors. I know that would mess up the cool, sleek appearance of the interior, but I have friends who need the handle to enter and exit my car safely
- Air suspension!!!
- Auto-open driver door and self-closing driver door upon brake pedal press.
- Self-presenting door handles.

If Tesla would just allow Car Play and Android Auto many of these requests could be instantly granted (Amazon music, better spotify, 3rd party nav software, etc.)

I’ll also add a comfort suspension. Put the hard as a rock suspension in the performance model and a more comfortable suspension in the LR model.
I’m pretty happy with my Comfort Suspension in my 2023 Model Y, but I’d like the ability to lower and raise my Model Y accordingly.

After futzing with trying to find my key card three times this afternoon, I'm adding keyless remote entry to my wish list. I'd like to door to unlock when I grab the handle when I'm carrying a phone or card key. This used to be a feature, but seemingly has been (mostly) removed in the last month. Why take away such a commonplace and useful feature?

After futzing with trying to find my key card three times this afternoon, I'm adding keyless remote entry to my wish list. I'd like to door to unlock when I grab the handle when I'm carrying a phone or card key. This used to be a feature, but seemingly has been (mostly) removed in the last month. Why take away such a commonplace and useful feature?
Why are you using the keycards at all? You already have everything you described with any user’s smartphone.

You can also press the left stalk for single wipe and it brings up the wiper control on the screen, so you do not have to search for the icon.

Agree with this. I think all those "geniuses" are weird/a**hole/crazy etc. All of them have something. Elon's got his stuff, Jobs was a grade A a**hole, Bezos has got his own stuff, Gates a philanderer, etc etc etc. just mho. But I'm a nobody so I'm totally speculating :)
Maybe complain when You can do or create better. I suspect these “geniuses” were creating these amazing products and companies they spent little if any time on a forum complaining about the achievements of others. They were to busy Doing the work.

If you have the phone as your key, you have this.

Why are you using the keycards at all? You already have everything you described with any user’s smartphone.
No. You may. I don't. About 80% of the time the car loses my phone, although the phone still insists it is connected???. About 1/3 of the time it lets me open the door, then it demands a key card in order to drive. Occasionally it works like it should, but the inconvenience and embarrassment when it won't, doesn't bear thinking about.

{On the phone, unpair the car, uninstall the app, reinstall the app, enter all the stuff again utility rates, et. al. On the car delete the phone. Add the phone and make it a key}. This is a little more unhandy that just giving up and using the key card whenever the car wants it and it only lasts for a day or so anyway.

Reactions: rwiegand
No. You may. I don't. About 80% of the time the car loses my phone, although the phone still insists it is connected???. About 1/3 of the time it lets me open the door, then it demands a key card in order to drive. Occasionally it works like it should, but the inconvenience and embarrassment when it won't, doesn't bear thinking about.

{On the phone, unpair the car, uninstall the app, reinstall the app, enter all the stuff again utility rates, et. al. On the car delete the phone. Add the phone and make it a key}. This is a little more unhandy that just giving up and using the key card whenever the car wants it and it only lasts for a day or so anyway.
YOU MUST KEEP THE TESLA APP OPEN 100% OF THE TIME! This is the #1 reason for “lack of reliability” with the telephone key.