Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when steering on AP comes out of Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that ever the plan for non FSD? Right now, it's barely a novelty since you have to gently move the steering wheel every minute or so. Even just keeping your hands on the wheel seems to cause this to happen, which makes even more work for me than driving myself.
I use it only when someone new comes into my car to show them, otherwise it's too much work.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is that ever the plan for non FSD?
You said it yourself, AP, EAP, and NoAP are not FSD so it's likely they'll always require the drivers attention and occasional check to make sure they're paying attention and are engaged. If you don't want the nag you'll need to buy FSD. On the other hand, if your getting the nag that frequently then, as mentioned above, you're doing it wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The hand detection is exhausting.. It just is.

Holding the wheel with one hand off-center AND applying enough torque to satisfy the nag is not the best position to be in if a quick evasive maneuver is needed and it's exhausting on long drives. I end up just rolling the volume switch every 7.876 seconds which is also super annoying and just holding the bottom of the wheel with both hands resting on my legs. In this position I can quickly and precisely move the steering wheel and I'm not constantly torquing the wheel in a direction that I do not indent to travel.

I love AP, but I'm definitely looking forward to whichever feature allows the car to drive for longer than 8 seconds on long straight section if interstate 10.

Is that ever the plan for non FSD? Right now, it's barely a novelty since you have to gently move the steering wheel every minute or so. Even just keeping your hands on the wheel seems to cause this to happen, which makes even more work for me than driving myself.
I use it only when someone new comes into my car to show them, otherwise it's too much work.

You just need a very gentle torque off center. You can literally do it with just 3 fingers. It is not too much work.

To answer your other question: Tesla will only remove the nag when Autopilot reaches true FSD, ie L4 autonomy. That's because the system must be able to handle driving safely without the driver needing to pay attention. To remove the nag when the driver still needs to pay attention would not be safe.

The hand detection is exhausting.. It just is.

Holding the wheel with one hand off-center AND applying enough torque to satisfy the nag is not the best position to be in if a quick evasive maneuver is needed and it's exhausting on long drives. I end up just rolling the volume switch every 7.876 seconds which is also super annoying and just holding the bottom of the wheel with both hands resting on my legs. In this position I can quickly and precisely move the steering wheel and I'm not constantly torquing the wheel in a direction that I do not indent to travel.

I love AP, but I'm definitely looking forward to whichever feature allows the car to drive for longer than 8 seconds on long straight section if interstate 10.

I know 8 seconds sounds funny, but let's keep this conversation grounded in reality. Tesla's nag every 1/2 mile.
So If it's nagging you every 8 seconds you're driving about 225mph. At a more reasonable 80mph you'll get nagged about every 23 seconds.

I know 8 seconds sounds funny, but let's keep this conversation grounded in reality. Tesla's nag every 1/2 mile.
So If it's nagging you every 8 seconds you're driving about 225mph. At a more reasonable 80mph you'll get nagged about every 23 seconds.

I actually timed it.. It is exactly 8 seconds from shake the wheel to the start of a nag. This is traveling at 80-85 mph. (Speed limit is 80 fyi).

I didn't time it at slower speeds but around 60 it is less frequent.

Just for clarification, there are a number of other cars and manufacturers with adaptive cruise control and lane following. They all have a nag, except for Cadillac that has a sensor array in the steering wheel to make sure that you are looking at the road.

This isn't a Tesla thing.

As other have indicated, it's pretty easy to get used to it. I barely even think about it.

You just need a very gentle torque off center. You can literally do it with just 3 fingers. It is not too much work.

To answer your other question: Tesla will only remove the nag when Autopilot reaches true FSD, ie L4 autonomy. That's because the system must be able to handle driving safely without the driver needing to pay attention. To remove the nag when the driver still needs to pay attention would not be safe.

I use a single finger, Three is overkill ;)

I think it is worth mentioning that your steering setting probably affects how easy it is to exert the necessary torque to dismiss nags. If you set your steering to sport, the steering will be a bit more stiff so you may have to exert a bit stronger torque. I have my steering set to "standard" and the slightest torque is enough to dismiss the nag. I can keep a finger at the bottom of the wheel, at the 6 o'clock position, and just offer a little resistance and it is enough.

Are you pressing the accelerator? this will make it nag again sooner. You are doing something, as it does not ask that often.

Nope..

It is distance based and there may be a sliding scale based upon how many nags you've gotten.

It's probably punishing me because I prefer to hold the wheel in a neutral way that doesn't apply artificial and unintentional torque.

I've had my car for a while and have been through a few iterations of the AP nag. I have FSD and will be super excited to see some reduced nag elements. I don't want to not pay attention, I just don't want to have to steer for the ditch for 1200 miles while driving across Texas.

I think it is worth mentioning that your steering setting probably affects how easy it is to exert the necessary torque to dismiss nags. If you set your steering to sport, the steering will be a bit more stiff so you may have to exert a bit stronger torque. I have my steering set to "standard" and the slightest torque is enough to dismiss the nag. I can keep a finger at the bottom of the wheel, at the 6 o'clock position, and just offer a little resistance and it is enough.

Very good point. I have mine on sport.

When FSD is first released, yes that is true. But eventually, the nags will go away once FSD becomes reliable enough that the driver no longer needs to pay attention anymore.

Correct. So maybe 5-10 years I would guess (obviously a separate debate). But regardless of that timeline, Tesla has not promised you will be able to take your hands off the wheel with the recent FSD packages on offer. It’s important for people to realize - when prospective buyers read the description, they will find it never says that you won’t have to pay attention and won’t have to hold the steering wheel.

Last edited:
At least it’s just a nag. My Porsche screams at me as if I’m about to kill myself and others if I hold the steering wheel too lightly during lane keep assist. (I always pay attention when driving as I don’t trust any currently available autonomy features)