Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if I can only charge "locally"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I can only charge "locally"

My thoughts exactly. Plug it in every night and wake up with a full pack ready to go in the morning makes life so much easier.

I tend to agree with this. You never know if Tesla will change their policy on local Supercharging (doubt they will for current owners but you never know). Also, having charging at home makes owning the car so much more easier.

To OP: can you clarify on never ever being able to get any charging at home or work? Even a 120V outlet helps.

That said if you want the car and are willing to take time out of your schedule once or twice a week to sit and charge go for it.

The first 2 months of the first Tesla I owned I did not have a home charger and the closest SC was 30 miles away and I had a 60. I was constantly stressed about it and spent a lot of time sitting an public chargers that took forever. If you live close to a SC then don't worry about it, if you do not then I would pass on the Tesla until you have a home charger. And don't worry about the "letter" it's only sent to people that really abuse it.

I say go for it. But be considerate, and charge up at off-peak hours when the superchargers are more likely to be empty. You'll not only pull more energy, but you won't be preventing someone else from getting home.

Also, don't discount 110v charging. Even 12 hours overnight can add 50 miles, which sounds like it may be more than enough for your daily use.

Disregard completely this non-recommendation. There is no "abuse of the supercharger network" if you cannot charge at home. If you are a garaged owner and *choose* to not charge at home, that's different. And, like voter fraud, the latter rarely happens but surely does make for great FUD and grist for the HB (handwringing busybody) contingent.

If you are one of the non-garaged, you may charge at superchargers as needed. Tesla has committed to DENSITY as well as distance for almost a year now. Anyone who tries to tell you differently is full of shite.

I was just watching Jon Ronson: When online shaming spirals out of control | TED Talk | TED.com
So I feel an obligation to stand up for ITSELE and against TaoJones.

I love my Tesla and wish everyone else could be driving similar vehicles. But, if you're relying on someone else to provide you with your electricity, then you are abusing a privilege. Use of Superchargers as they were intended to facilitate longer trips is great; short term regular use of Superchargers is fine, but permanently claiming you are owed "FREE" electricity because you paid $2000 upfront is IMO abusive.

Kudos (and rep points) to you, CSFTN. Fine if people disagree, but the name calling deserves to be called out for what it is. Hard to keep civil & constructive conversations going when that's going on.

I say go for it. But be considerate, and charge up at off-peak hours when the superchargers are more likely to be empty. You'll not only pull more energy, but you won't be preventing someone else from getting home.

Agreed. I just picked up my P85 a couple weeks ago and have been using the local supercharger (about 13 miles away) as I do all the leg work to get an EV Charger installed at my condo. I try to use it late at night when hardly anyone is there so that I don't prevent someone else from using it. I don't think anyone should care that you use it unless you are preventing them from charging.

To OP: can you clarify on never ever being able to get any charging at home or work? Even a 120V outlet helps.

That said if you want the car and are willing to take time out of your schedule once or twice a week to sit and charge go for it.

I can use a 110v at work 8-9 hours a day, but there's competition for those spots and I didn't want to rely on it. I'm a software engineer and do a lot of remote work on my laptop already. So sitting for 45 minutes at a supercharger once or twice a week should give me time to get work done on my laptop from the car. I think that part will be the easy part for me. My main concern is the future... if I'm relying on supercharging so much and the lines start getting unbearably long as more and more Teslas hit the road, or if Tesla puts an end to local charging altogether. I'm already stretching the finances so much to get the Tesla, and the idea of saving a little on fuel costs is a strong motivation for this purchase.

I can use a 110v at work 8-9 hours a day, but there's competition for those spots and I didn't want to rely on it. I'm a software engineer and do a lot of remote work on my laptop already. So sitting for 45 minutes at a supercharger once or twice a week should give me time to get work done on my laptop from the car. I think that part will be the easy part for me. My main concern is the future... if I'm relying on supercharging so much and the lines start getting unbearably long as more and more Teslas hit the road, or if Tesla puts an end to local charging altogether. I'm already stretching the finances so much to get the Tesla, and the idea of saving a little on fuel costs is a strong motivation for this purchase.

Not that it's any of my business (although you did post it in a public forum), but you mentioned that your driving habits only require a full charge once a week. Have you worked out whether or not it's worth it to stretch "so much" for a 90D when an S70 would be more than adequate for your commuting needs, and save you $18k along the way?

Of course, you may have other reasons for wanting the 90D other than range (performance or all wheel drive), to which I'd say more power to you.

Not that it's any of my business (although you did post it in a public forum), but you mentioned that your driving habits only require a full charge once a week. Have you worked out whether or not it's worth it to stretch "so much" for a 90D when an S70 would be more than adequate for your commuting needs, and save you $18k along the way?

Of course, you may have other reasons for wanting the 90D other than range (performance or all wheel drive), to which I'd say more power to you.

I've been going back and forth between the 70D and 90D for those very reasons. The main reason I'm leaning toward the 90 is the extra range sense I'm relying on local supercharging. I figure it will be the safest bet for those weeks where I may be really busy. I also do plan to do a lot of road tripping with it and the range would be nice. But the money is going to be tough... I'm wondering if the 70 would be better for now until I pay the car off, and then in 10-ish years I can swap it for a bigger battery. I'm also considering how the 90 should charge faster than the 70, which can be really important when I'm doing only SC and 110v.

That said, I'd love to be talked into a 70D. I can afford that without starving myself for a few months. The 90 is going to be a financially painful. But I see it as a very long term investment. I expect it to last a million miles, something most cars can only dream of. That's worth the extra pain for now, right?

I've been going back and forth between the 70D and 90D for those very reasons. The main reason I'm leaning toward the 90 is the extra range sense I'm relying on local supercharging. I figure it will be the safest bet for those weeks where I may be really busy. I also do plan to do a lot of road tripping with it and the range would be nice. But the money is going to be tough... I'm wondering if the 70 would be better for now until I pay the car off, and then in 10-ish years I can swap it for a bigger battery. I'm also considering how the 90 should charge faster than the 70, which can be really important when I'm doing only SC and 110v.

That said, I'd love to be talked into a 70D. I can afford that without starving myself for a few months. The 90 is going to be a financially painful. But I see it as a very long term investment. I expect it to last a million miles, something most cars can only dream of. That's worth the extra pain for now, right?

The 90 won't charge any faster than the 70kWh version. It's really tough to justify any fuel savings for a car that is driven mostly locally. The people who see the big savings are the ones who have long commutes.

I didn't see you respond but is a 110V outlet at home not a possibility ever? The 110V outlet at work will help a lot. Tesla hasn't announced they will handle battery upgrades years into the future so get the pack you'll be happiest with now. 90 might be way to go. See if work will allow to you install a outlet of some kind that you pay for but is reserved for you (likely not possible). Or at home if you live in a condo or an apartment maybe if you pay for installation and electricity they'll allow it.

Personally, I wouldn't stretch for the 90D. $18k is a lot of cash! Get the 70 and pretend the 90D doesn't exist. Don't test drive it, don't sit in it, and don't watch youtube videos about it. Seriously. The 70 is still a Tesla - best car in the world, and you'll love every minute of driving it. You're in SoCal, the home of a million superchargers. Road trips will be no problem.

I'm also considering how the 90 should charge faster than the 70, which can be really important when I'm doing only SC and 110v.

Bjorn uploaded this video which shows the larger battery supercharges faster because power to the smaller battery is reduced quicker. This is not a surprise. From Bjorn's other video, it was known that the 60 supercharges slower too. Home charging will be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just watching Jon Ronson: When online shaming spirals out of control | TED Talk | TED.com
So I feel an obligation to stand up for ITSELE and against TaoJones.

I love my Tesla and wish everyone else could be driving similar vehicles. But, if you're relying on someone else to provide you with your electricity, then you are abusing a privilege. Use of Superchargers as they were intended to facilitate longer trips is great; short term regular use of Superchargers is fine, but permanently claiming you are owed "FREE" electricity because you paid $2000 upfront is IMO abusive.

Your response is noted, but it in no way addresses or contravenes the point I presented above. It instead appears to be just another example, all too often found in these threads of late (that occasionally attempt to shame the non-garaged), of making a reasonable objection to a non-existent premise. It also presents or supports an opinion, and one that is not supported by fact, to which I take exception.

Tesla *has* committed to DENSITY as well as DISTANCE. Distance supports your position, and until late last year, was all Tesla supported. Density supports my position, and as of late last year, is a premise now clearly supported by Tesla - poorly-written recent letter notwithstanding. Also, the paying extra for supercharging as a separate line item must have been before my time.

Let me be succinct (too late, I know): I was told specifically by Tesla prior to the purchase of my Model S that as a non-garaged owner, I could use SCs for the duration of my ownership. Frankly, I expected the answer to be more along the lines of "Have a nice day", which clearly a small minority of yes, handwringing busybodies, would prefer. Supporting said handwringing busybodies whose position has actually been to DISSUADE THE PURCHASE OF TESLAS BY NEW OWNERS is equally untenable. The gall.

Instead, I was welcomed with open arms by Tesla and that was when there was just 1 SC in the area. Now there are 3 SCs within a 10-mile radius. When I called Tesla early on about the use of SCs, they did say they were going to build more SCs in dense areas to support, in part, the non-garaged - I didn't necessarily believe that at the time, but sure enough, it happened, and within 3 months.

I might fully charge once a week on average. I also don't expect this to go on forever since, in part, I am trying my best to actively lobby for EV chargers in the harbor - someday, even at the glacial pace of municipal and regional government, we *will* finally have chargers. Without putting too fine a point on it, given the typical harbor demographics (much more likely to buy EVs), it makes sense and who wouldn't want to wake up every morning to a full charge? But in the meantime, off to the SCs I go.

Another poster said it best: If you can charge at home, then charge at home. If you cannot charge at home, then there's no problem and no "abuse" - use the SCs in a courteous manner and all will be just fine. Welcome to the family. I would only add that were I buying today, I'd get the above in writing from corporate before placing the order.

This next one will really chap the hides of the HB contingent and their supporters: I met a fellow at a Washington SC this past month who starts every morning with a full charge courtesy of his solar array at home - and he then charges almost EVERY DAY at his local SC for at least a half-hour. He has almost 100,000 miles driven with his Model S in 2 years. Yep - he pays nothing for his home electricity AND he uses SCs. Oh, the horror. Oh, what a freeloader. Oh, the humanity. But seriously, if there were 1000s of such people, their net (no pun intended) usage would still be negligible.

All of this handwringing and support of handwringing also unfortunately masks what I believe to be the biggest and most glaring problem facing SC network utilization - and that's ICEing. ICEing by ICES *and* sadly by Model S owners. There is no significant problem with regard to locals other than HBs distastefully referencing their statistically non-existent usage as freeloading. Most owners don't use SCs much if at all in the first place. But folks, after 11,000 miles of road trips and periodic usage of SCs in the most populous county in North America these past 9 months, I can tell you that we could all do well to (cordially) educate, educate, and educate some more owners that don't vacate spaces immediately after their charge is complete (and of course, discourteous ICE owners).

I am in a similar situation to many here, and of a large potential market for Tesla: I rent a condo with little to no chance of getting home charging. I explained this to my DS, and he emailed me the following:
You will not receive a letter stating that you are abusing the superchargers.
So with that in hand, I am not too concerned.

My real concern is the two very busy superchargers on the peninsula between San Francisco and Silicon Valley...