Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if no Model 3?

If Model 3 was out of the question what type of car would you buy?

• Hybrid

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Plug-in Hybrid

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • ICE

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • EV

Votes: 65 59.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TrickyDimitri

Soon...very soon.
Apr 20, 2016
NC
I have read a lot of comments, and I am curious how much importance most people are placing on the fact the Tesla is an EV compared to that is it a Tesla (if that makes sense). If the Model 3 was no longer an option for you then would you buy another EV like the Leaf of Bolt, or would you buy another luxury car like a BMW or Audi? For us, our next car will be an EV. I hope that ends up being the Model 3, but if that doesn't work out then it will be another EV.

I have read a lot of comments, and I am curious how much importance most people are placing on the fact the Tesla is an EV compared to that is it a Tesla (if that makes sense). If the Model 3 was no longer an option for you then would you buy another EV like the Leaf of Bolt, or would you buy another luxury car like a BMW or Audi? For us, our next car will be an EV. I hope that ends up being the Model 3, but if that doesn't work out then it will be another EV.
I'd buy another Model S. I'm done with buying ICEs (current S is our second EV, first was a Leaf back in 2012). The EV driving experience is just better than the alternative.

I'd buy another Model S. I'm done with buying ICEs (current S is our second EV, first was a Leaf back in 2012). The EV driving experience is just better than the alternative.
I feel like I should have added that people who can afford a Model S shouldn't vote. LOL. I read lots of current S owners who say they will never buy ICE, but I read more comments from non-owners that lean in different directions. I would probably go with Bolt if I needed something now (the 2006 Civic still has some miles left), or wait to see the new Leaf. If I was going to get an S I would want the updated AP, and most of the CPO cards don't have that.

Reactions: SureValla
I would keep my 2013 Leaf until something else more appealing came along. Not interested in the Bolt, or the updated Leaf as it looks about the same as the current gen. I guess maybe something from BMW or Audi once they have a decent long range EV (and not the hideous i3).

• Informative
Reactions: TrickyDimitri
I will never purchase a non-electrified vehicle again. Unfortunately, no other BEV has the charging support of a Tesla...so if we're discussing vehicles in the Model 3 price range, a PHEV is the only option.
Yeah. I was trying to keep it within that price range of 30-45k. I should have been more specific, but I am still curious what people have to say.

Model S is a valid choice because there is a larger than expected group of people who stretched to get an S because it was the best option available. These are folks coming from Civics and Celicas.

I put my S purchase on hold until after I get my 3. Its very possible I might like the 3 enough just to get another one of those instead. Why spend what you don't have to?

Reactions: TrickyDimitri
Yeah. I was trying to keep it within that price range of 30-45k. I should have been more specific, but I am still curious what people have to say.
Used Model S can be found in that price range, and you will probably be able to get one with AP in the near future I bet. If I could get a used AP Model S for under 45k, that would be extremely compelling to me.

I bought a '13 Volt, used, about a year ago so I could drive electric until my Model 3 arrives. In that time I've used 23 gallons of gas. I'd have bought a used Leaf if they'd been thermally managed. I couldn't get a decent price on a new one, and I didn't trust a used one to meet my needs. Knowing what I know now, I'd be fine with a 50-mile Leaf for 99% of my driving.

Coincidentally, I'm really looking forward to getting rid of my Odyssey. Hopefully with a Y or a used X. Turns out I hate buying gas as much as I hate burning it!

Model S is a valid choice because there is a larger than expected group of people who stretched to get an S because it was the best option available. These are folks coming from Civics and Celicas.

I put my S purchase on hold until after I get my 3. Its very possible I might like the 3 enough just to get another one of those instead. Why spend what you don't have to?
Wow. I can't remember the last time I thought about a Celica.

I feel like I should have added that people who can afford a Model S shouldn't vote. LOL. I read lots of current S owners who say they will never buy ICE, but I read more comments from non-owners that lean in different directions. I would probably go with Bolt if I needed something now (the 2006 Civic still has some miles left), or wait to see the new Leaf. If I was going to get an S I would want the updated AP, and most of the CPO cards don't have that.

why would you exclude model s? if you can afford a brand new model 3, you can afford a used model s.

No option for "Nothing"? As a couple of others had mentioned, I'd just keep my current car if the Model 3 hadn't come along. I had to replace the traction battery on my 2001 Prius a couple of years ago, so it should be good for a few more years. I have no pressing need to get a new car now, but I've thought about getting an EV for years (always some time in the future). That now there's a Tesla I can afford and that I can get a tax credit before it expires are compelling reasons to act now.

Last edited: