Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is 12v battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone recently replaced their 12v battery. My '15 P85D (47k miles) just displayed 12v battery needs replacement warning. Got a mobile appointment next week for replacement but no word yet on it's cost. Looks simple enough to replace if I can find a replacement battery, saw one last year on ebay but looks like they don't sell it anymore and saw a post somewhere that the software needed upgrading by Tesla if you replace the 12v battery. Any thoughts before I bend over and pay Tesla to replace.

I just got mine replaced in Los Angeles area. It was about $280 including tax and everything. The battery itself was listed on the invoice at $160 and roughly $100 for labor. The mobile tech did it in about 30 or 40 minutes.

Just had mine done in San Diego, Tech told me @ 280 like geo said. He just shut the main power off from the HV battery and replaced it, didn't need temp power.

Did they have to upload any software changes due to battery replacement??

I'm searching for the same info - on the TOGUK fb site I saw the sum of £225 quoted if fitted by a ranger, but it seems difficult to find out in advance, as the OP has confirmed... there are videos on YT showing how to replace it - it's certainly not as easy as with an ICE vehicle and also I've seen concerns raised about the relatively low 30Ah rating of the Tesla fitted battery, which is also smaller in dimensions than regular 12v batteries, as is the available space for fitting it... again I've read there are higher rated batteries of similar dimensions at less than Tesla charges but also the same question as to whether a software update is required...

My warning came up, so I shut car down, removed 12v battery, charged it (using Ring Smart charger) put it back on the car. That was 3 months ago, still no issues! No warnings on dash after restart. I've an early car so next time I could just use the charging posts.
As for other battery capacities, I think 36ah is the highest for our form factor. Worth it for the reduced cycles due to higher capacity.

Remember that ICE car batteries are constructed to deliver high amps for starting, not for continuous discharge as the ones used in Teslas are. "Normal" car batteries are apparently not suitable.
There are Li-ion replacements online which are more expensive but marketed as Tesla replacements: I am interested to know what experiences others had with these?