Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the advantage of Yoke steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering. What is the advantage of this type of stearing wheel? If we ignore the “cool factor” that it is simply different. All I can think of is a better visibility on the display in front of driver. Anything else?

Reactions: Matias
Just wondering. What is the advantage of this type of stearing wheel? If we ignore the “cool factor” that it is simply different. All I can think of is a better visibility on the display in front of driver. Anything else?

you are understating a huge benefit — better visibility of dash display. Back when steering wheels were invented, there were no dash displays. Had there been dash displays we would all have yokes today.

1) Looks nice, modern just like the futuristic Knight Rider
2) Saves space which is important for race drivers.
3) Allows seeing the dashboard without being blocked by the rounded steering wheel.

Otherwise, Racecar driver Randy Pobst has lots of experience with it and says it's just impractical to most people because they don't race inside of a race track to go to work every day.

I think the shifter is a bigger concern, it already takes old people an hour to get out of a parking space, now you'll have to play snake with the dash before it lets you go into reverse. then play snake again, then forward, then play snake again, then back, repeat.

clearly none of these 15 year old "designers" have had to rock a vehicle out of a ditch of snow or mud using F/R quickly... even on my X it was impossible.

It's like that reddit, we want plates... well... we want a shifter!

Just consider the amount of free media coverage. Elon's self driving hype agenda furthered (because you know, you don't really need to signal or choose gears, the car will just know what you want to do). Millions of marketing dollars saved - every penny counts. The fact that it might not work well, who cares, like who really cares that a hyped up 691hp P85D only developed 463hp by Tesla's own admission two years later. The hype did its job when Elon touted it as the 700hp car - free marketing. Do you know how many people I still meet who think my Teslas drive themselves while I sleep on the back seat or not even in the car? That is the power of hype! But, to keep the hype going, you have to keep doing outrageous things. Next refresh will probably have a retractable steering wheel, no it won't have a fully working level 5 autonomy, and steering wheel will only retract while parked, but the story will be that it's in preparation for full self driving, and hype will continue.

Reactions: TessP100D and AMPd
So you can daydream of what might have been. :)

(For the very few--you prefer the setup while on the job)

F1_vs_Indycar.jpg

Is it just a different form factor or are the ratios changed? I don't see many racing cars doing end-over-end rotations of the steering wheel like when parallel parking. That would seem awkward with a yoke. Also can't pull down from 12 o'clock to 3 to make a right, for example or rest your hand at 6 o'clock. Maybe it's the greatest thing, but of all the things I think the Tesla needs, a yoke isn't on my list.

Just wondering. What is the advantage of this type of stearing wheel? If we ignore the “cool factor” that it is simply different.
'cool factor', I'd say dumb idea that should have stayed in Elon's head.
Rather than yoke steering wheels and auto gear selectors that nobody is asking for, how about these two now common features the S should have that it still doesn't, all far more useful to the driver than child like hype generating gimmicks.
1 - Surround view cameras.
2 - HUD display.

Unfortunately Lexus have fallen victim to Elon's hype, look at the interior render images of the upcoming LF-Z :eek:

'cool factor', I'd say dumb idea that should have stayed in Elon's head.
Rather than yoke steering wheels and auto gear selectors that nobody is asking for, how about these two now common features the S should have that it still doesn't, all far more useful to the driver than child like hype generating gimmicks.
1 - Surround view cameras.
2 - HUD display.

Unfortunately Lexus have fallen victim to Elon's hype, look at the interior render images of the upcoming LF-Z :eek:
I can understand wanting a HUD for the 3/Y but the S/X at least has the display in front.